******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
WORK IN PROGRESS - Last update 05/08/2022

h6GBqmU.png

What is Star Citizen?

TLDR version
Star Citizen is an upcoming space trading and combat simulator video game for Microsoft Windows, OS X and GNU/Linux.

It has two components:

Squadron 42
- The single player campaign. Completing this will allegedly lead that character into Star Citizen should you own the multiplayer version.
Star Citizen - Multiplayer persistent universe. They have mentioned customisable private servers, but this is an aspiration so don't bet on it.

You do not need to buy both, they will work independently of each other. Bare in mind pledging for ships is arguably only applicable to Star Citizen and won't as far as we know impact Squadron 42.

Funding model
Before you spend any money please consider doing one of the following first:

1. Read this thread, particularly more recent posts.
2. Ask questions before throwing any money at the game, the community on OCUK is generally very mature and helpful and you are likely going to get an honest assessment particularly from long-time backers of the project.
3. Try it for free, this happens 4-5 times a year.

If you do decide to buy please do so at the minimum level you can. Try not to fall for FOMO (Fear of Missing Out), "rare" ships are not a thing, they will be back on sale and you can earn them in-game. Likewise many OCUKers have ships they can lend you or take you for flights on, so you don't need more than a (starter pack - around £40) at this point. If you want to spend more, fine - but you've been warned, this game may never release and there is unlikely to be any refunds should it fail.

What is the setting?

Both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are set in a 30th-century Milky Way centered around the fictional UEE (United Empire of Earth), an analogue of the late Roman Empire. A central theme of the game is citizenship (or lack thereof) in the UEE, which must be earned through player actions (such as completing a period of military service - essentially Squadron 42 as mentioned above). It is anticipated that Citizens will enjoy certain in-game benefits, for example paying a reduced tax rate or having easier access to interspecies trade,but the exact details are yet to be determined.

A strong focus will be placed on player interaction, with player behaviour influencing and being influenced by a dynamic economy system.

Star Citizen is currently being developed by Chris Roberts' Cloud Imperium Games, founded in 2011. Roberts' previous works include games such as Wing Commander, Wing Commander: Privateer, Starlancer and Freelancer.

The game set a new crowdfunding record and has now amassed an incredible $492 million. (this changes constantly. I'm not even going to try to keep this updated.)

What is the official youtube channel?

There is regular content posted on the official Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertsSpaceInd

Want to know what what to expect or how to get started?

Organisations - the "Clans" of Star Citizen:
Anyone can found an organisation once they have purchased a starter pack of above in Star Citizen. Below are some run by OCUK members or who OCUK members have joined and recommend:

If I have missed your organisation please get in touch.

LTT CONGLOMERATE - LTT Forum JOIN
QLpWhgs.png

Mercury Rising - JOIN
wioCmoM.jpg.png

PAGAN - JOIN / DISCORD Server link
T19rrew.png

The Corp - XSGamers Gazanimal's live stream! JOIN
9CQS1uk.png

The Shadow Legion (Website) JOIN
Xp70Fa7.png

The Black Adders

k2x062yo77yb1.png

Who we are:

UK/EU based organisation.
Medium sized looking to expand.
Real life comes first.
What we do:
Combat focussed events every week.
1-on-1 and group fighter training.
Mentoring new players.
Discord: https://discord.gg/adders
RSI Page: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/ADDERS

Jargon Buster for this thread:
AC = Arena Commander
CIG = Cloud Imperium Games
LTI = Lifetime insurance, identical to SHI in that it only covers the unmodified parts of the craft but without the cost of SHI. A tiny perk, do not obsess over it!
SC = Star Citizen
SC-PU = Star Citizen Persistent Universe
SHI = Standard Hull Insurance, covers only the base ship for a regular cost. Mods, upgrades and cargo are not covered.
SQ42 = Squadron 42
OB = Original Backers
ORG= Organisation, like clans, guilds or corporations in other games. You can be a member of one and affiliated with up to 9 others.
PU = Persistent Universe
UEC = United Earth Credits (Monetary unit in the PU)
UEE = United Earth Empire (The government of the Star Citizen universe)
VB = Veteran Backers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you guys want I'll keep updating this for the time being, if you do want them to merge the threads though you'll need to ask a mod, more doing it the more likely it is to happen.

Devs released this image of them with the pre-release alpha..

iCLWJIZ.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's an initial alpha release, what controls we have now and the feel of the ships will change drastically in the next 6 months tbh :)

Soldato
OP
I've noticed that even though I have the launcher open, P2P enabled and upload set at max mine doesn't actually send anything. Perhaps something they need to fix tbh.

Soldato
OP
Awwww, can I really part with the money to play a heavily unfinished game??? lol

Arguably two games, Squadron 42 (50 mission single player) and Star Citizen which is a persistent universe (centrally hosted game) with own/user hosted server option.

I've had my moneys worth already tbh, spent tons of times chatting, reading, writing and now playing :D

X55 owners the config "fix" has been in OP since yesterday. Tut tut ;)

Soldato
OP
@platypus I'd take any indications of time in-game needed to buy a ship with a pinch of salt mate. My advice would be to buy the cheapest and work your way up if you've unsure. Having flown the Aurora MR last night I think it's got the best view in-game at the moment :)

Remember you could but in at the cheapest option and then melt that back (reclaim for store credit - just need to wait 24 hours after initially buying it) then upgrade to a more expensive package later on i.e. the Freelancer.

Soldato
OP
Ah yes the (current) eternal debate about upgrading my lancer and cutlass to a constellation... Especially now with the ability to upgrade and keep LTI!

I went from Aurora LN to 315P and 325A to Hornet. Actually regretting that second one, although it is growing on me :D

Soldato
OP
Speaking of the Freelancer Platypus the release of Arena Commander has resulted in the latest update for it being put in the hangar, some screenies:

http://imgur.com/a/sy85E

Almost makes me wish I hadn't offered mine to an org mate :D

Whats the difference between the hangars? Just size?

Style is about the only difference. I have the deluxe one temporarily thanks to my Cutlass and to be honest I far prefer the look of the Standard and Business ones. They all have a different layout and feel but I'm not aware of different facilities in each, just placements i.e. in the Deluxe hangar I spawn at the side, in the business one I'm sure I use to spawn in the middle - could be wrong, been months!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It'll be interesting to see how our fleet info sheet changes now, we had something like 14 325As and only 1 hornet. Now it's down to 11 325A's and hornet/hornet ghost have gone up.

Soldato
OP
Yup both TheCorp and PAGAN info is up to date, you can actually join both without any issue :D One of the benefits of the multi-org system.

Soldato
OP
I'm having to turn off motion blur too mate, feel like I'm getting travel sick even with it turned to 1.. Glad you got it running at all, what was the problem? Crossfire?

Soldato
OP
That being said, I think that AC and ED Alpha 1.0 have probably had around the same effort on them. On the face of it, ED's Alpha was a lot more polished in the flight controls department. Not to say that the flight controls in AC won't be iterated upon as the Alpha progresses, but given there's a stark contrast in opinion (some love it, some hate it) it's going to be hard to find a good middle ground. By pretty much nailing it first time, Frontier have avoided that painful decision.

I think you've nailed it there, the difference from the two to me are that ED were organised from the start for the scale of the project they were taking on. Chris Roberts was, then ended up getting WAY more cash thrown at him than he expected and they've constantly increased the scope of the project, it's not been scope creep, it's literally run off into the distance.

I'm hoping ED is out before the end of the year, I don't want to beta test it - but I am really keen to get in my Cobra and die horribly :D

Soldato
OP
Ignore the "PLEASE WAIT" bit, but to be on the safe side check your HDD isn't overly active before closing. I was leaving my client open for P2P thinkingi it'd help others but it'd occassionally go to that message until I closed and reopened the launcher.

Back
Top Bottom