• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Associate
I definitely acknowledge the 5800X3D is a great processor, even if it's locked.

Now this is my paradox lol. What is the curve optimizer and how do you utilize it for overclock latest gen ryzen? (I am an intel guy right now but I like both brands equally just depends on what they offer to market)

Very odd. Just seems there are multiple things you need to tune on AMD, like lots more to do than Intel chips to get more MHz.
For example, I don't get the vibe that you can just up the multi and the voltage and go from there (like you do with intel chips). Seems AMD has made ability to overclock more difficult?
ie. Most Ryzen overclocks I've seen come out to odd/weird numbers like 4344Mhz or 4745MHz, or whatever it is, it doesn't ever seem to be a nice clean number like 5400MHz on the dot, like you can get very easily with Intel chips. Not sure if you guys are picking up on this but its just as someone who hosts benchmarks all the time I get to measure these small details, and Im curious.
Yeah, and because of additional cache it doesn't need extra high clock, 4.5 ghz with that cache is comparable to 5.2-5-5 ghz ADL, Zen 3 original version would probably need to have 6 ghz to get similar performance, so i don't see a problem with lower clocks because of 3dcache, clocks will consume much more power than additional cache.
Ok makes sense, just watched some tests on power consumption, the 5800X3D is definitely winning that battle.

Associate
anyone tested slow vs fast ram on the 5800x3d? in theory the extra cache should help more with slower ram.

Whenever mine shows up that’s the only thing i’ll be doing for a week or so. Maxing out ram. I’m going to start off with 2x8 bdie, max that out and see what we get before moving to 2x16

Last edited:
Associate
I definitely acknowledge the 5800X3D is a great processor, even if it's locked.

Now this is my paradox lol. What is the curve optimizer and how do you utilize it for overclock latest gen ryzen? (I am an intel guy right now but I like both brands equally just depends on what they offer to market)

Very odd. Just seems there are multiple things you need to tune on AMD, like lots more to do than Intel chips to get more MHz.
For example, I don't get the vibe that you can just up the multi and the voltage and go from there (like you do with intel chips). Seems AMD has made ability to overclock more difficult?
ie. Most Ryzen overclocks I've seen come out to odd/weird numbers like 4344Mhz or 4745MHz, or whatever it is, it doesn't ever seem to be a nice clean number like 5400MHz on the dot, like you can get very easily with Intel chips. Not sure if you guys are picking up on this but its just as someone who hosts benchmarks all the time I get to measure these small details, and Im curious.

Ok makes sense, just watched some tests on power consumption, the 5800X3D is definitely winning that battle.

AMD doesn’t stick to only 1x multipliers as intel thus you see frequencies that you see.

Dont run amd chips out of sync if you want performance. You want fabric and mem at 1:1. That’s why most mem oc you see tops out around 3800-4000mhz.

BCLK overclocking, unlike intel, is also going to boost your nvme and gpu and that’s not a good thing. Data corruption and dropping the gpu will be real concerns so be careful or really, don’t do it.

The main thing you can do on a x3d is max out the ram and test extensively as overclocking the fabric can easily go from stable to whea error hell in as little as 33mhz.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD doesn’t stick to only 1x multipliers as intel thus you see frequencies that you see.

Dont run amd chips out of sync if you want performance. You want fabric and mem at 1:1. That’s why most mem oc you see tops out around 3800-4000mhz.

BCLK overclocking, unlike intel, is also going to boost your nvme and gpu and that’s not a good thing. Data corruption and dropping the gpu will be real concerns so be careful or really, don’t do it.

The main thing you can do on a x3d is max out the ram and test extensively as overclocking the fabric can easily go from stable to whea error hell in as little as 33mhz.
By all accounts one of the benefits of the 5800X3D is there is less advantage to fast RAM with the cache helping out. I'm just running mine at XMP 14-15-15-35 1T 3600MHz with 4x8GB bDie

Soldato
Any one bought one of these bad boys on an X370?

My pal has one on his Crosshair Vi Hero, albeit a BETA BIOS, as the AGESA 1.2.0.7 release hasn't been pushed out yet, its due by the end of this month. I'll be trying one in my original X370 Taichi test setup once I can get back to where it lives, but that might be June. :(

Caporegime
My pal has one on his Crosshair Vi Hero, albeit a BETA BIOS, as the AGESA 1.2.0.7 release hasn't been pushed out yet, its due by the end of this month. I'll be trying one in my original X370 Taichi test setup once I can get back to where it lives, but that might be June. :(
Cheers. Have a CH6 Hero myself but in no rush, so would wait until the official release. My 3700X is no slouch, but gaming comes first (along with some encoding). This is a definitely a want but with my recent 3070 upgrade, it should make my PC good for 2-3 more years without much issue.

Associate
Was able to get hold of a 5800X3D and ive had it for like 3 days now, had no problem getting 4.4Ghz all core stable at 1v similar to reports. It feels like it runs cooler than my 5600X at this point :D

Caporegime
Was able to get hold of a 5800X3D and ive had it for like 3 days now, had no problem getting 4.4Ghz all core stable at 1v similar to reports. It feels like it runs cooler than my 5600X at this point :D
Surprising that since 5800 (including the 3d model) is known to run the hottest especially compared to 5600x. What are your temps and cpu cooler?

How are you finding it going from the 5600x to the 5800x3d?

I'm thinking of doing the same but just waiting on my msi b450 tomahawk to get the bios update for official support, should be this month.

Associate
I used bios to control voltage ( I run a Gigabyte x570 Xtreme ) and Nexus I said it feels like it runs cooler. As how it feels going from my 5600X my opinion may be skewed since the games I play do tend to benefit from the extra cache a lot more than most ( examples: lost ark / world of warcraft ). I'd say its certainly a solid upgrade if its a pure gaming PC but if you are going to do more than that then head the 5900X which is cheaper and will be better in productivity. Only reason I upgraded to the 5800X3D is that I want to keep this PC until Zen 5 as I have no intention of doing a full system upgrade for a long time and the 5800X3D should serve me great until then.

Here's a video by der8auer where he undervolts the 5800X3D, shows just how efficent the chip actually is..

Last edited:
Caporegime
I used bios to control voltage ( I run a Gigabyte x570 Xtreme ) and Nexus I said it feels like it runs cooler, I would have to do further testing to back that up but so far temps havent gone past 65oc. As how it feels going from my 5600X my opinion may be skewed since the games I play do tend to benefit from the extra cache a lot more than most ( examples: lost ark / world of warcraft ). I'd say its certainly a solid upgrade if its a pure gaming PC but if you are going to do more than that then head the 5900X which is cheaper and will be better in productivity. Only reason I upgraded to the 5800X3D is that I want to keep this PC until Zen 5 as I have no intention of doing a full system upgrade for a long time and the 5800X3D should serve me great until then.
Ah ok, just when you said it runs cooler, I thought you were getting better temps.

What's your cpu cooler?

And yeah that's my thoughts too, I only use my pc for gaming.

Associate
Well the 5800X3D shares the same problem the original 5800X has which is it's thermal density. Undervolting the 5800X3D however has a hugely positive effect on temps making the CPU far easier to drive and to answer your question I have a NH-D15S with 2 fans running at 600rpm each providing temps are below 70oc

Update:

Here's a video by Buildzoid who goes into the reasons why AMD wanted to limit the 5800X3D to 1.35v and why they really cannot enforce that limitation. He also explains why it runs hot at stock (TLDR: the surface isnt one solid piece of silicon, its actually 4 pieces of silicon which would make the thermal transfer pretty bad). This is why if your interested in buying the 5800X3D you will basically be undervolting it to bring it to reaonsable levels of heat so that say an air cooler like the NH-D15S could cool it reasonably while remaining whisper quiet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surprising that since 5800 (including the 3d model) is known to run the hottest especially compared to 5600x. What are your temps and cpu cooler?

How are you finding it going from the 5600x to the 5800x3d?

I'm thinking of doing the same but just waiting on my msi b450 tomahawk to get the bios update for official support, should be this month.
I get about 80-82c on my chip out of the box on custom water running cinebench r23. This is on customer water with the GPU and 3x120 and 3x140 of Radspace

Soldato
I just got mine today and with Cinebench R23 I was a bit shocked to see it go upto 87c. With an ASUS Rog AIO. I will watch the video above about undervolting though.
What are your temps like in games and is your AIO a 360mm one? My NH-D15S with two fans can keep my 3900X cool and quiet in games with a relaxed fan profile, I doubt I'd be able to do that with a 5800X3D if it's hot in games too (without any undervolting).

Soldato
What are your temps like in games and is your AIO a 360mm one? My NH-D15S with two fans can keep my 3900X cool and quiet in games with a relaxed fan profile, I doubt I'd be able to do that with a 5800X3D if it's hot in games too (without any undervolting).

I've only just got it in my PC in the last hour and ran a few tests. I`m still meant to be "working" till 7pm. My AIO is 240mm. I dont really have the case for anything bigger. Now wondering whether to get the cheapo case I bought my sons as you can get a 280mm in there and maybe a 360mm.
I ran TimeSpy twice and it hovered around 45c but thats no real indication. I`m playing GTA V online at the moment so I can try that later. I'm going to have a go at undervolting it too once I figure out which is the best setting. Seen mention -30 on PBO or the video above says offset 0.225

Update: just played an hour of GTA V Online and it hovered around 47c/49c stock volts. Undervolting to -0.225 offset in the BIOS knocks about 10-15c off under 100% running Cinebench so its around 70-74c with 4380mhz clock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom