• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Associate
I have finally installed my 5800X3D now MSI have released a BIOS for my B350M Mortar. Using a Cooler Master ML240L and I see temps in the mid 80's when running CB R23 at stock settings but a quick PBO2 tuner tweak to -20 all core got that down to low 80's with higher clocks at a 15k score.

Not had much chance to try it in games but I did load up Path of Exile and in the 1st town the graph shows 2ms frame time for CPU load which is down from around 10ish on the 2200G so not a bad improvement. I cleared a few mobs and didn't notice any drops but I need to play further in to get a better idea really as mob density is pretty low at the start. In game temps with the -20 offset are mid 60's with a quiet fan profile.

Soldato
I have finally installed my 5800X3D now MSI have released a BIOS for my B350M Mortar. Using a Cooler Master ML240L and I see temps in the mid 80's when running CB R23 at stock settings but a quick PBO2 tuner tweak to -20 all core got that down to low 80's with higher clocks at a 15k score.

Not had much chance to try it in games but I did load up Path of Exile and in the 1st town the graph shows 2ms frame time for CPU load which is down from around 10ish on the 2200G so not a bad improvement. I cleared a few mobs and didn't notice any drops but I need to play further in to get a better idea really as mob density is pretty low at the start. In game temps with the -20 offset are mid 60's with a quiet fan profile.

How did you get/do the Higher clocks ?

Soldato
Worth swapping my 5800X for this? £200-250 seems to be the sale price, maybe a bit more on eBay.
Clocks look slightly lower base & boost but get the 100MB L3 cache, anything else better?

Soldato
Worth swapping my 5800X for this? £200-250 seems to be the sale price, maybe a bit more on eBay.
Clocks look slightly lower base & boost but get the 100MB L3 cache, anything else better?
Check the reviews. Not everything benefits from the extra cache, gaming is one that does see a good boost but it varies on the game and some even lose a little performance due to the reduced clocks. Most other workloads don't see any improvement.

Soldato
Not worth it IMO unless your running 1080p with an 80 class GPU and even then your only looking at around 10-15%.

Associate
How did you get/do the Higher clocks ?

PBO2 Tuner. Need to set up a powershell script or batch file to call it from the command line on boot / login at the moment because it resets after a reboot but other than that it worked fine for me.

I tried -20 across the board and that worked fine without issues and allowed all core in R23 to go from around 4.25Ghz to 4.45Ghz. It also dropped temps by a couple of degrees but it is still low 80's in CB even with a 240mm AIO. Not using any offset mounts or stuff like that.

Soldato
PBO2 Tuner. Need to set up a powershell script or batch file to call it from the command line on boot / login at the moment because it resets after a reboot but other than that it worked fine for me.

I tried -20 across the board and that worked fine without issues and allowed all core in R23 to go from around 4.25Ghz to 4.45Ghz. It also dropped temps by a couple of degrees but it is still low 80's in CB even with a 240mm AIO. Not using any offset mounts or stuff like that.

Ah right already tried that when I took it to -30 it was 4.3ghz across all cores although I might try -20 too again now its settled down a bit. ASUS are still bringing out BIOS to optimise 5800x3D so that might do something too.

Soldato
Just got the email that mine has been shipped, so I guess they're back in stock now?

No stable BIOS with support for it yet on my Tomahawk though, there is the beta BIOS based on 1.2.0.6c but 1.2.0.7 is the one with the fTPM fix.

Soldato
Just got the email that mine has been shipped, so I guess they're back in stock now?

No stable BIOS with support for it yet on my Tomahawk though, there is the beta BIOS based on 1.2.0.6c but 1.2.0.7 is the one with the fTPM fix.

Mine is running on a Tomahawk what is wrong with fTPM :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine is running on a Tomahawk what is wrong with fTPM :confused:

W11 and in rarer cases W10 with fTPM enabled can cause stuttering every now and then. Linux users also report seeing the issue too. I actually do notice the same sort of stutter on my current 3900X/W10 build but it happens very rarely, like once a week, so not as bad as others.

Soldato

I tried -20 and it fluctuates a bit 4.3ghz 4.35ghz so I tried -30 which I have used before and all cores are rock solid on 4.45ghz and it drops the temp by 5c to 74c in R23. That gives me 14850 without doing anything else.

Soldato
Well this is a bit frustrating... I paid extra to reschedule for today, but DPD messaged they "missed me". No one approached the door and even checking Ring footage there was no DPD van at all. To DPD support I go... or will contacting OcUK be better?

On the other hand, noticed MSI marked the beta 1.2.0.6c BIOS as stable for the Tomahawk, so guess I'll download that for now.

Caporegime
Well this is a bit frustrating... I paid extra to reschedule for today, but DPD messaged they "missed me". No one approached the door and even checking Ring footage there was no DPD van at all. To DPD support I go... or will contacting OcUK be better?

On the other hand, noticed MSI marked the beta 1.2.0.6c BIOS as stable for the Tomahawk, so guess I'll download that for now.
Seems more like a DPD fault. Phone their customer service line and speak to an agent. Maybe you can get the driver to try and deliver before EOD.

Soldato
Seems more like a DPD fault. Phone their customer service line and speak to an agent. Maybe you can get the driver to try and deliver before EOD.
Yup just did that. Apparently my local depot marked a bunch of deliveries as missed for some reason. They're trying to see if they can get the driver to attempt it today. Was hoping to spend this weekend tweaking the CPU :p

Soldato
Yup just did that. Apparently my local depot marked a bunch of deliveries as missed for some reason. They're trying to see if they can get the driver to attempt it today. Was hoping to spend this weekend tweaking the CPU :p
Poor from DPD, particularly given you paid extra. Usually they are quite good.

Back
Top Bottom