• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
That and RDNA3 GPU's are launching in October, November or December. probably October / November.

You would think AMD would want the new CPU's out before then to give them the best chance for a good none bottlenecked showing on the bar charts.

I'm all in for September, seems just right. Busy latter half on the year, Nvidia will join the party with new GPU's too while nothing but crickets out of Intel's GPU camp i bet. eep eep eep....
Great so they will be the same problem as last time, The GPU/CPU wafer allocation! Of couse the Eypc wafers will get priority for obvious reaseons then main stream CPUs with GPU's a distant third

Soldato
Great so they will be the same problem as last time, The GPU/CPU wafer allocation! Of couse the Eypc wafers will get priority for obvious reaseons then main stream CPUs with GPU's a distant third

Not so much.

"We’ve been working on the supply chain really for the last four or five quarters, knowing the growth that we have from a product standpoint and the visibility that we have from customers. So in regards to [the] 2022 supply environment, we’ve made significant investments in wafer capacity, as well as substrate capacity and back-end capacity."

Lisa Su comments from the last earnings call.

Soldato
CPU's are 5nm, i think GPU's are 6nm.
Still X amount of wafers between the product stack.

Not so much.

"We’ve been working on the supply chain really for the last four or five quarters, knowing the growth that we have from a product standpoint and the visibility that we have from customers. So in regards to [the] 2022 supply environment, we’ve made significant investments in wafer capacity, as well as substrate capacity and back-end capacity."

Lisa Su comments from the last earnings call.

That's good to know, Guess they learned from the last release.

Soldato
They didn't have foresight of a pandemic, and a crypto mining boom which greatly exacerbated the issue as well.
True, I did read somewhere that they had produced a better amount prior to launch this time but proved insufficient because of the "Perfect Storm"

Soldato
DDR5 pricing is looking good for Q3, increasing supply along with weak demand in the PC market space(s) is meaning that the predicted 5-8% QoQ decrease could see as much as a 12% decrease in Q2-Q3. This look to be holding somewhat true in the street pricing of DDR5 modules, with prices dropping to a new low over the month of April and the trend continuing into May. Forecasting for DDR4 is showing a decrease in stock piling, with an increased focus on raising margins as manufacturers finally move away from DDR3 for devices like routers, and embedded applications.

Prices for DDR5 are predicted to be only 30% higher than DDR4 by the start of Q4, which for the consumer means that the 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR5 5200 at £180 will only be £140 or less, and the faster RAM speeds being priced more in line with a premium DDR4 kit so a 2x16GB DDR4-4000 kit which is £180 now, the DDR5 6000+ equivalent will be ~£235.

Looking good for Zen4 release. :)

Associate
CPU's are 5nm, i think GPU's are 6nm.

CPUs are 5nm, N31 and N32 is a mix of 5nm for the GCD(s) but 6nm for MCD(s). N33 is full 6nm. Much better split to allow for higher volume, especially the more mainstream N33 part which will probably be a top seller if price is reasonable.

Soldato
Looking good for CEX next week, some interesting pre-show leaks doing the rounds showing the next gen AM5 boards, and what looks to be Zen4 CPU's being given a lot more data and potentially a launch date in late July or early August. :)

Soldato
Going to be very interesting keynote, i do wonder if they will mention RDNA3 or save that for sometime in June.

Some of the new boards look like they will transform and take over the planet, or defend it against the Decepticons maybe. :D

Soldato
Power / heat may become issues - will be interesting how they stack up on relative performance per watt.
Yes, it looks like that was on a 16C part? Not for me :) I think my 5800X3D should last me until Zen5 for what I use it for. Looking forward to see how people get on with it though vs Intel's offerings.

Back
Top Bottom