• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Associate
I see what's going on here, Zen 4 will be launched at Computex with availability in July.

Zen 4 will be DDR5 only but to give people a DDR4 option Zen 3 will get a 6nm refresh, probably sooner than July tho.

Do you have any source about the ZEN 3 refresh? That would be intriguing...

Caporegime
Those "B2 stepping" Zen 3's that AMD said "are no different to B0" well they are 6nm too, someone got a B2 5900X to 5.15Ghz at 1.4v, 4.7Ghz is what i can get with my 5800X at 1.4v and its a golden sample, read in to that what you will.

Also ignore CPU-Z its reading 7nm is not accurate, its not reading that from anywhere its hard coded.

AMD Ryzen 5000 ‘Zen 3’ B2 Stepping Tested: CPUs Offer Lower Temperatures, Lower Power Consumption, Stable Boost Clocks & Better DDR4 Support

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5000...ower-stable-boost-clocks-better-ddr4-support/

I read tom's article before, I wonder if they will also pull the same trick on GPUs...

RX 6#50XT refreshes....

Associate
I doubt they are.... nothing to go on with that, i think AMD are shifting everything to 6nm and 5nm this year. Just an opinion.

Hope you're right Humbug, as a RX 590 owner (and just made my wife happy with a RX6600 from OCUK) an affordable RX 6000 series refresh would be perfect for my next PC...

Caporegime
No they aren't.
Everyone who has tested B2 Stepping agrees they are better in every way than B0.

Do you think that's architectural design changes this late in to Zen 3's life cycle? 6nm was designed to be compatible with existing 7nm designs, the node transfer is easy and TSMC have said they want everyone off 7nm and on 6nm.

Its easier to move 7nm products to 6nm that it is to make architectural changes.

Associate
5700G was close to RX560, hopefully RDNA2 will be a decent increase.
A decent upgrade? Hopefully otherwise some Intel Iris part will be the iGPU champ (ignoring Apple).

However, the 6500 XT at 100W is only about RX590 so I cannot see an APU getting to that. RX560 to RX590 is around 200-300% depending on the benchmark, and I cannot see an APU reaching any time soon.

Associate
B2 is like another + on 7nm, they are using more matured, better bins, but still 7nm. I thought Zen3d would be on 6nm so they could extract couple more performance from node too in addition to cache, but we will see.

Associate
Yeah, no way they can move to 6nm and keep IPC the same. It must be an incremental improvement on 7nm.
(There could be performance improvement between steppings of same model, but those would come from better perf/watt allowing for better boost)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, no way they can move to 6nm and keep IPC the same. It must be an incremental improvement on 7nm.

That not how it works, need to physically alter the design to change the ipc, node shrink brings power savings, can either bank the power savings or up the performance keeping the old power limits, stepping changes usually arise to increase yields

Associate
AMD 5nm Zen 4 based Ryzen 7000 might launch in April alongside or soon after the release of the 5800X3D.
https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-5nm...-might-launch-in-april-featuring-18-ipc-bump/

Leaker getwinder claims:
The instructions per cycle (IPC) on Zen 4 is 18% higher than a previous architecture (neowin aren't sure if it's Zen 3 or Zen3D).
The peak frequency or the maximum boost on a single core is 7% higher.
The all-core boost is raised by 8.7%.

AMD has already showed a 5GHz all-core Zen 4 demo running Halo Infinite back at CES 2022 and if the 18% IPC is correct, it seems AMD will be at the top again.

Associate
AMD 5nm Zen 4 based Ryzen 7000 might launch in April alongside or soon after the release of the 5800X3D.
https://www.neowin.net/news/amd-5nm...-might-launch-in-april-featuring-18-ipc-bump/

Leaker getwinder claims:
The instructions per cycle (IPC) on Zen 4 is 18% higher than a previous architecture (neowin aren't sure if it's Zen 3 or Zen3D).
The peak frequency or the maximum boost on a single core is 7% higher.
The all-core boost is raised by 8.7%.

AMD has already showed a 5GHz all-core Zen 4 demo running Halo Infinite back at CES 2022 and if the 18% IPC is correct, it seems AMD will be at the top again.
Im pretty sure it won't release so early, and im sure IPC increase will be higher, AMD already showed they can increase 19% on the same node, so 25%+ IPC is realistic, but we will see in april, both of those rumors are either true or false.

Permabanned
OP
Im pretty sure it won't release so early, and im sure IPC increase will be higher, AMD already showed they can increase 19% on the same node, so 25%+ IPC is realistic, but we will see in april, both of those rumors are either true or false.

So early?? :cry:
They are already late. Zen 3 was launched in 2020..

Back
Top Bottom