• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you care for Ray Tracing "now"?

Do you care for ray tracing "now"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Do they not have FSR which achieves much the same thing? I appreciate the consensus is that it's not quite on the same level, but they have got an alternative.

I come up with a draw in so far as as much as people talk about it, DLSS is not in everything, certainly not legacy games as it didn't exist then. For me, I'd have been happy with either, hence draw

I have no idea what I'll play tomorrow. Ray tracing may or may not be a part of it, but as of right now, its a great feature, not a game maker. I do know what I'm playing today though, and on the whole (not completely) either brand is fine.

Ray tracing will be good. Its not essential right now as it needs to develop, like any tech.

You mentioned a draw between RDNA2 and Ampere based on raytracing, not DLSS.

Again it comes down to knowledge of the tech. FSR 1 is nothing like DLSS. Does it achieve much the same thing? No, unless you consider screen magnifiers to be much the same thing... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Selle...nders-Magnifiers/zgbs/electronics/21532894031

DLSS doesn't have to be in all games as legacy titles perform beyond original expectation when paired with a modern GPU.

Raytracing is already good in that it already increases eye-candy / immersion. Another example - It wasn't that long ago that we started seeing non RT based soft shadows in games. Did you think shadows were non essential before then?

And the big question, does it make sense to have competing GPUs priced similarly even though one side is lacking in modern features?

I certainly can't call a draw, nor can most people as evident from the market split.

Associate
Fair points well made. But I stand by the fact it needs to develop a little further yet as it is quite a performance hog without dlss/fsr etc.

Ray tracing now is good, not essential. I think upscaling is arguably just as, if not more important, but that's another debate.

Permabanned
Fair points well made. But I stand by the fact it needs to develop a little further yet as it is quite a performance hog without dlss/fsr etc.

Ray tracing now is good, not essential. I think upscaling is arguably just as, if not more important, but that's another debate.

Well as I said, a decade old PC with a modern Ampere GPU is very playable today with today's RT options maxed out. DL2 for example gives me 80-105+ FPS at 1440p DLSS Quality. 15FPS or so, black and white, no graphics other than the character set, and no sound was acceptable when I was a kid.

I think what we will agree on is that RT needs to become more affordable.

Soldato
As of 23 July 2021, Nvidia has 83% while AMD has a tiny 17%.

Can't you see how bad that is? It's a good job AMD's GPU division is getting cashflow from the CPU division because there is no way on earth a sole GPU maker could recover from that. Nvidias market share would reach 100%.

That was close to happening to Intel when AMD were heading for bankruptcy. Luckily there were just enough of us still buying AMD CPUs + console sales to keep them afloat and rise from the ashes.

I'm going to continue buying AMD GPUs because I'm against any company with too much of the market. I want competition. I'll buy Intel GPUs as well while they're behind.

AMD decided they're not gonna be the "budget option" anymore which turn around against them. They didn't have the performance on their side to charge as much as nVIDIA and neither the technologies. At least with Ryzen they were good enough in single threaded and great in MT workloads. Equivalent would be about 90% of RT performance and 120-140% +/- in raster at lower prices than nVIDIA. They simply are asking too much for their products compared to what said products can offer. The market is saying just that. Plus, with production limited since AMD had to make chips for consoles also and this time around nVIDIA was as well better at mining... hard to get market share.

Having skipped Turing due to its awful performance

In lower resolutions (1080p or so for 60fps) with DLSS is fine. I'm playing CB77 maxed out at 1080p and for 60fps target the GPU is keeping up (RTX2080). People were expecting a bit too much from it, I guess.

Surely monopoly leads to stagnation? That's what I'm afraid of. If innovation and progress were not effected in any way then I'd switch to buying Nvidia because it wouldn't matter if they had 100% market share.

After 290/X AMD didn't have something to go against nVIDIA, but nVIDIA still offered jumps in performance from a generation to another (Turning was more about RT, but still de 2080ti was significantly faster - 35% +/-).

Caporegime
OP
Hardware unboxed polled their viewer base for their thoughts on Ray Tracing in games, only 8% (of 61K votes) considered it impressive.
LfDhJPV.png
DirBL5b.png
8%???

Presuming their bar chart is the latest version? If so, I would read that as 49.5% considering it "worthwhile/good".

Definitely would love to see the ratio of amd to nvidia gpu owners for these polls ;) :D

Obviously backed up by the huge market swing to AMD this round :D
:D

The things I notice when it comes to RT discussion is:

- people don't really have an understanding of it and think it is purely just a reflections thing based on comments "shiny puddle"
- people base their opinions only on early/**** games for it i.e. tomb raider, bf 5 or go based on scenes where there won't be any difference i.e. if it is just RT reflections implemented, you get people comparing scenes with no reflections of any kind in the scene....
- performance hit, which is a valid enough point if you don't have the hardware for it

Caporegime
8%???

Presuming their bar chart is the latest version? If so, I would read that as 49.5% considering it "worthwhile/good".

Definitely would love to see the ratio of amd to nvidia gpu owners for these polls ;) :D

:D

- people don't really have an understanding of it and think it is purely just a reflections thing based on comments "shiny puddle"
- people base their opinions only on early/**** games for it i.e. tomb raider, bf 5 or go based on scenes where there won't be any difference i.e. if it is just RT reflections implemented, you get people comparing scenes with no reflections of any kind in the scene....
- performance hit, which is a valid enough point if you don't have the hardware for it
They took the screenshot a day or two back, the results have changed a little since then so I included a link to their tweet for context. 8% think it's impressive, 31% think it's okay are the latest results.

Btw, I just tested Ghostwire on the 3090, looks identical to the 6900 XTXH @Nexus18 at 4K max settings, no image reconstruction. Neither gives playable FPS. 3090 is faster by about 8 FPS (30 vs 38 FPS) Both feel horrible, massive frame time spikes. :D

Permabanned
Btw, I just tested Ghostwire on the 3090, looks identical to the 6900 XTXH @Nexus18 at 4K max settings, no image reconstruction. Neither gives playable FPS. 3090 is faster by about 8 FPS (30 vs 38 FPS) Both feel horrible, massive frame time spikes. :D

Sadly Ghostwire is one of the raytracing light titles using screen space instead of RTGI. I've not noticed frame spikes, but it's UE4 so of course they are going to be there.

Permabanned

See my previous post :D

Caporegime
OP
They took the screenshot a day or two back, the results have changed a little since then so I included a link to their tweet for context. 8% think it's impressive, 31% think it's okay are the latest results.

So the headlight and purple lines are being fully rendered on your 6900xt?

b1Vrfit.png

Must need more vram from the sounds of it ;)

I can't recall exactly but there is a texture cache setting or something that needs to be changed from cinematic to auto to resolve some of the perf issues, once that is done, it plays well with the odd UE 4 DX 12 shading stutter. DF noted this too. There was a patch recently, which supposedly improves perf. further but I haven't tried it since.

Obviously it is a game that will need upscaling tech for both vendors though especially at 4k.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
Yes, everything is the same. As I told you it would be. Tested Far Cry 6, Ghostwire and that other Bright Infinite thingy you mentioned too.

I might buy Cyberpunk when a certain game update comes out. That'll make sense soon. :D

I'll put up some screenshots for side by side comparisons in the not too distant future too.

Caporegime
OP
Yes, everything is the same. As I told you it would be. Tested Far Cry 6, Ghostwire and that other Bright Infinite thingy you mentioned too.

I might buy Cyberpunk when a certain game update comes out. That'll make sense soon. :D

I'll put up some screenshots for side by side comparisons in the not too distant future too.
Shall await the screenshots ;) :D

Bit weird though how several other people are all experiencing it in several games, maybe game or/and amd driver updates have fixed it? Or maybe just system/local issues..... :cry: ;)

Caporegime
Shall await the screenshots ;) :D

Bit weird though how several other people are all experiencing it in several games, maybe game or/and amd driver updates have fixed it? Or maybe just system/local issues..... :cry: ;)
You say several other people, but really only one YouTube channel showed some examples (outside of DF and the UE5 alpha demo).

There's also no context provided, no information on settings used on each system and steps to reproduce. Also he was capturing videos using external hardware, there's so many variables there. Everything is vague with no substance, which is always a red flag.

You can be sure that Digital Foundry would be all over it if this was a genuine issue in games I can promise you that. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom