This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I don’t get the argument, so your saying the U.K. population (as noted above, the money goes to the treasury and is spent by the government on public services) shouldn’t benefit from private companies using public land to generate income and profit?

Soldato
Queen gets 25% cut of sea-bed rent which itself, is proportional to windfarm revenue - so has benefitted from a windfall too,
like the energy companies and share-holders would/will.

Not really sure why the government didn't enforce a limited cap rate increase, like france, and the energy companies then directly subsidised that from windfalls, as opposed to elaborate discount system.

Soldato
Because our energy system is privatised, if the government imposed a cap below cost, every fossil fuel related energy company in the U.K. would go bust and the grid would fall over in a matter of seconds and kill the economy. We rely on gas for a significant chunk of our energy generation, even if that gas is produced in the U.K., it’s not owned by the Uk government. It’s sold on the open market to global consumers for the benefit of shareholders. It’s really that simple.

If the government funds the difference between the cap and the actual cost, you’ll be paying for that anyway via higher taxes or reduced public services. There is no magic money tree, every intervention has a cost to future generations.

EDF in France is 85% owned by the French state and as such the government bankrolles and loss or profit they make. Most of their electricity comes from nuclear so it’s not impacted by the rise in gas price.

Soldato
doesn't matter that utility companies aren't owned by govt - windfall tax subsidy would just be applied behind the scenes to reduce cap for customer, without having to play with council tax software system discounts, prepayment system etc.

customers on existing fixed deals would be/are a problem with either fr/uk strategy, and even now they maybe benefitting unduly from discounts;

the economics of now taking a fixed deal have changed with the discounts, they have probably become more economic, since the discounts are now a fixed offset you can apply, reducing future cost, but, exposing yourself to new cap is less predictable and, with increase, could wipe out the discount .... albeit rishi might have to react again.

Capodecina
Soldato
Everything is getting too expensive now... our rent just went up, elec up, water up, food is getting more expensive, council tax up.

We live in a one bed flat, and our Council tax and utilities come to nearly £500 a month... not including phone bills.

Soldato
water meter, catch rain water for the garden, buy stuff that uses less electric, buy less food or cheaper food, fit a log burner, insulate your home, make a cheap diy solar system. collect your own logs from fallen trees.

Soldato
Everything is getting too expensive now... our rent just went up, elec up, water up, food is getting more expensive, council tax up.

We live in a one bed flat, and our Council tax and utilities come to nearly £500 a month... not including phone bills.
Haven't you been listening to advice from Conservative MPs, you just need to earn more silly :rolleyes:

Haven't you been listening to advice from Conservative MPs, you just need to earn more silly :rolleyes:
I thought they told us not to ask for payrises too!

You need to upskill to earn more, not get paid more for doing what you do now

Or you could abandon all reason, logic and morals and apply to be an MP

Soldato
Or take a second or third job. There are 24 hours in a day, you sleep for 8 of them, that leaves 16 hours x 7 days free for work so 112 hours per week, 3 jobs of 37 hours each. Your money problems will be over then.
There is your problem your wasting a 1/3 of your day in bed, typical freeloader

Soldato
The last few months have really opened my eyes with regards to the cost of living, I have a couple of friends who are not on the highest of wages(23k ish) and live alone one in rented and another in a house which they purchased with the help of parents gifting a deposit.

After all bills they have about £150 free per month and if something bad happens at home, a boiler breaking or something I am pretty sure they would be in the hole.

I know they are not the worst off people in the country but it makes you realise if they will struggle just how awful it must be for people on minimum wage! The whole situation is just dire atm and no one can see an end to the rising prices , God help us for the last 6 months of this year.

There will be people literally dieing if this coming winter is a bad one.

Soldato
The last few months have really opened my eyes with regards to the cost of living, I have a couple of friends who are not on the highest of wages(23k ish) and live alone one in rented and another in a house which they purchased with the help of parents gifting a deposit.

After all bills they have about £150 free per month and if something bad happens at home, a boiler breaking or something I am pretty sure they would be in the hole.

I know they are not the worst off people in the country but it makes you realise if they will struggle just how awful it must be for people on minimum wage! The whole situation is just dire atm and no one can see an end to the rising prices , God help us for the last 6 months of this year.

in my area so many of the jobs are minimum wage or a touch more just so that the boss can say its not minimum.

but rents and house prices were cheaper so you could get on ok.

now house prices have gone up by 24% here in 12 months and rents are shooting up.

together with everything going up in general and its a nightmare situation now.

Long before the 24% rise in house prices, it was already thought mission impossible to get on the property ladder here.

Man of Honour

Same for people in supervisor/lower management roles at work - on around 25K. 20 years ago used to be a job you could support a family on even single just about - but the wage has been stagnant for years and unless they have a partner on a good wage, etc. those people are struggling with the rising cost of living and one bad thing away from serious debt, etc.

I might be wrong but from what I see and hear I get the feeling more and more people are dipping into credit under the notion this is a temporary blip and things will reset more towards pre-pandemic levels in a few months of a couple of years but I can't see that.

Soldato
That's just it, I don't think it's going away anytime soon. Energy and fuel prices are so high, I think they will likely come down 10p but 175p for diesel will be the new norm even though we were paying 100p at the start of the pandemic.

Price of everything is just absurd now.

Caporegime
That's just it, I don't think it's going away anytime soon. Energy and fuel prices are so high, I think they will likely come down 10p but 175p for diesel will be the new norm even though we were paying 100p at the start of the pandemic.

Price of everything is just absurd now.

Think we will settle somewhere in the middle of 'then' and 'now'

Which is really going to increase the rich poor divide :(

Soldato
they are profiting from windfarms and there seems inadequate data to confirm if the rent they received is a function of revenue of generation company,
it would seem wise to set the rent based on the revenue renter can gain - to wit high street rents in London declined during covid.

e: rent is a function of turnover V https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/08/queens-treasury-windfarm-bp-offshore-seabed-rights
BP claims it will avoid paying the option fee for the maximum 10-year term by making a final investment decision on the project within four years, and generating electricity from its turbines after seven. At this point the “rent” due to the crown estate would fall to 2% of the windfarm’s annual turnover.

Crown Estates dont work the way you think they do; the money ALL goes to the Exchequer - George 3rd was bankrupt so signed them over. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/mar/06/monarchy.princessmargaret .

Soldato
It'll be difficult next year for wage rises.

NMW went up 6.4% this year and is envisaged, along with State Pension, to increase by 10% next year taking it to nearly £10.50/hour (projected Sept inflation rate). Lots of people in lower income (say sub £25k) will not be happy if they don't get similar rises

Back
Top Bottom