Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

It'll be difficult next year for wage rises.

NMW went up 6.4% this year and is envisaged, along with State Pension, to increase by 10% next year taking it to nearly £10.50/hour (projected Sept inflation rate). Lots of people in lower income (say sub £25k) will not be happy if they don't get similar rises

Never mind next year. We gave all our staff between 8-12% this year just to keep up retention. I expect we will have to match that again next year.

We got 5% this year we got that early on, they are going to have to give out a lot more in the coming 12 months people are leaving for higher wages elsewhere and we've had no new applicants in 3 weeks.

The 5% we got just about covers my gas and electric rise, never mind the fuel, food and everything else.

I've heard a couple of places giving smaller percentages but backing it with a one off lump sum to help employee with cost of living whilst helping employer via not baking in higher pension and NI etc contributions going forward

I've heard a couple of places giving smaller percentages but backing it with a one off lump sum to help employee with cost of living whilst helping employer via not baking in higher pension and NI etc contributions going forward
we've done something like that. Only a small business but gave 4% and a flat £75 a month on top till further notice.

Crown Estates dont work the way you think they do; the money ALL goes to the Exchequer - George 3rd was bankrupt so signed them over. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/mar/06/monarchy.princessmargaret .
that article is older than the one i linked which elaborates and says she receives V (it's not capped and she would benefit from windfall)
The sovereign grant is the funding formula under which the Queen normally receives 15% of the annual profit from the crown estate. The trustees recommend she receive 25% for the 10 years the (palce) work is taking place and the grant should be returned to 15% when building work is finished in 2027.

For anyone on EonNext with a renewal up soon, I've done a very simple comparison of the variable (Next Flex) and fixed (Next Online v14) tariffs with some rather large assumptions:

Next Flex (Variable) Next Online v14 (Fixed)
Elec rate (£/kWh) 0.2786 0.3822
Gas rate (£/kWh) 0.0737 0.0989

1. Standing charges are equal for both tariffs so not included in comparison.
2. Assuming a worst-case increase of 42% to the price cap in October as predicted here.
3. Assuming no increase of the price cap in Jan 23 or Apr 23 - source, same link as above.

The variable works out around 4% cheaper over 12 months with the above assumptions.

I thought it already was?

I nearly got caught out by paypal on this.
I used pay in 12 on paypal quite a lot. Just because it was easy and available. My mind didn't connect that it was available to credit agencies.

When came to mortgage renewal it was luck nothing was on there.

I no longer use it.

For anyone on EonNext with a renewal up soon, I've done a very simple comparison of the variable (Next Flex) and fixed (Next Online v14) tariffs with some rather large assumptions:

Next Flex (Variable) Next Online v14 (Fixed)
Elec rate (£/kWh) 0.2786 0.3822
Gas rate (£/kWh) 0.0737 0.0989

1. Standing charges are equal for both tariffs so not included in comparison.
2. Assuming a worst-case increase of 42% to the price cap in October as predicted here.
3. Assuming no increase of the price cap in Jan 23 or Apr 23 - source, same link as above.

The variable works out around 4% cheaper over 12 months with the above assumptions.

10p a unit for gas is going to really really hurt in winter.

Anyone with electric heating (old style) ... Even worse

I used pay in 12 on paypal quite a lot. Just because it was easy and available. My mind didn't connect that it was available to credit agencies.

I no longer use it.
Surely if its paid on time it's a non issue?

I no longer use it.
Surely if you're paying it on time, it helps your credit score ? Didn't even know they did pay in 12 I just get offered the paupers pay in 3

Didn't even know they did pay in 12 I just get offered the paupers pay in 3

AFAIK pay in 3 is the stock PayPal instalment plan for the UK, other options are vendor specific. I get various options when paying for something depending on vendor including pay in 3, 4 months interest free, 12-48 month interest free as well as credit plans with interest.

I am with Eon Next after Igloo went bust. Got my £150 from the council and put that onto my account. They wanted my DD to be increased by £62 a month from 16th June. Now I'm about £15-£20 in debit after the £150 payment (guessing) and won't let me reduce my DD. Their customer services and online chat are closed today and tomorrow. Hopefully I can get to speak to someone before and including Monday. So I don't get that obscene amount coming out of my bank account.

We just fixed electric to may 2024 at .35p per kWh. We have no gas and standing charge was the same. This is with EDF.

We were, up until it switched over yesterday, paying .30p per khw.

We use about 5100 units a year, with a slightly higher winter to summer use.

The switch is about a 15% increase on unit price.

So I figure we are paying 15% more until October, basically 4 months and during summer, so less usage anyway, if the price cap review means the cap goes up anything past .35p per khw, we are going to be better off?

And then future increases improve this further, I can't see energy prices going down anytime soon.

My Eon next finishes at end of this month -It will go from £62 a month to £103 ( it was £93 two weeks ago)- Did a search and Octopus said if you are still on a fixed tariff just do nothing and Eon will put you on budget variable tariff so you benifit from gov cap?

It'll be difficult next year for wage rises.

NMW went up 6.4% this year and is envisaged, along with State Pension, to increase by 10% next year taking it to nearly £10.50/hour (projected Sept inflation rate). Lots of people in lower income (say sub £25k) will not be happy if they don't get similar rises

I have wet dreams wishing I was up there on £25k :(

Back
Top Bottom