Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

We just fixed electric to may 2024 at .35p per kWh. We have no gas and standing charge was the same. This is with EDF.

We were, up until it switched over yesterday, paying .30p per khw.

We use about 5100 units a year, with a slightly higher winter to summer use.

The switch is about a 15% increase on unit price.

So I figure we are paying 15% more until October, basically 4 months and during summer, so less usage anyway, if the price cap review means the cap goes up anything past .35p per khw, we are going to be better off?

And then future increases improve this further, I can't see energy prices going down anytime soon.

If those are the prices you are paying, then stop complaining. The the rest of us are paying prices roughly two orders of magnitude high than that!

It'll be difficult next year for wage rises.

NMW went up 6.4% this year and is envisaged, along with State Pension, to increase by 10% next year taking it to nearly £10.50/hour (projected Sept inflation rate). Lots of people in lower income (say sub £25k) will not be happy if they don't get similar rises

The problem with that bracket is they're then falling closer to NMW, at £10.50 an hour gives an annual salary of 22k.

Frankly if I was in a stressful position earning 25k, I'd jack it in and go stack shelves at a supermarket for a few quid less. After taxes etc the 25k takehome is probably 150 a month more than a NMW job.

30p per Kwh peak rate. 20.7p/ kwh on E7

Oh ok, just am assuming you mean in terms of consumption rather than cost per unit? as on this new fixed rate we are paying more (per unit), than you are.

We have a solar install going in later this month that should reduce usage (from the grid) a bit during summer months, we are only getting a reasonably basic solar setup though.

I'm tempted to get a small generator now. I can run the biomass boiler and heating control system (pumps, valves, controls) on less than 200W so will have some spare capacity for other things if the generator is sized right. Purely for winter, overkill for summer.

I went ahead and ordered that Aldi £150 generator. I figure for £150 that's good piece of mind if we do start getting regular power outages every man dog and scalper will be out buying them, and you just won't get hold of one.

I store a bit of petrol anyway as we have a peteol mower and it's just handy to have.

The problem with that bracket is they're then falling closer to NMW, at £10.50 an hour gives an annual salary of 22k.

Frankly if I was in a stressful position earning 25k, I'd jack it in and go stack shelves at a supermarket for a few quid less. After taxes etc the 25k takehome is probably 150 a month more than a NMW job.

nmw is £9.50 currently most supermarkets all pay over £10/hr, I believe sainsburys is 10.50, tesco is 10.15, not sure on morrisons and asda are currently 9.66 rising to 10.10 next month.

Oh ok, just am assuming you mean in terms of consumption rather than cost per unit? as on this new fixed rate we are paying more (per unit), than you are.

We have a solar install going in later this month that should reduce usage (from the grid) a bit during summer months, we are only getting a reasonably basic solar setup though.
I guess he means the way you've typed the prices. ".35p per kWh" is not the same as "35p per kWh"

On a long fix like that you'll also need to consider future price caps and not just the change in August. Most opinions I've seen are predicting a higher price cap in August then prices lowering again through 2023.

I am with Eon Next after Igloo went bust. Got my £150 from the council and put that onto my account. They wanted my DD to be increased by £62 a month from 16th June. Now I'm about £15-£20 in debit after the £150 payment (guessing) and won't let me reduce my DD. Their customer services and online chat are closed today and tomorrow. Hopefully I can get to speak to someone before and including Monday. So I don't get that obscene amount coming out of my bank account.
I'm 600 in credit (due to a bill correction) , they've set my DD at 70 and mostly we use 70-90 a month over a year.

I'm not sure how they estimate I'll be at 0 at years end!

So as per my previous post earlier in this thread, I cancelled my direct debit last month as OVO had hiked it up to 'protect me' from increasing charges over the term of my fixed deal. I then immediately set up a new direct debit for more than enough to cover my usage, in fact with a bit of extra coverage/buffer monthly payment wise. They didn't bat an eyelid and the new DD came of my account as planned on the 1st of the month, but this morning they've emailed again to say they will be increasing my monthly DD yet again by an additional £50 , whether I agree to it or not.

So, we will just continue to go through the process each month then of me cancelling the direct debit and setting up a new one every time this happens. Annoying to have to do so but it literally takes 10 mins online........so be it, happy to keep playing this game if thats what it takes.

I went ahead and ordered that Aldi £150 generator. I figure for £150 that's good piece of mind if we do start getting regular power outages every man dog and scalper will be out buying them, and you just won't get hold of one.

I store a bit of petrol anyway as we have a peteol mower and it's just handy to have.
Put some fuel stabiliser in that petrol!

So as per my previous post earlier in this thread, I cancelled my direct debit last month as OVO had hiked it up to 'protect me' from increasing charges over the term of my fixed deal. I then immediately set up a new direct debit for more than enough to cover my usage, in fact with a bit of extra coverage/buffer monthly payment wise. They didn't bat an eyelid and the new DD came of my account as planned on the 1st of the month, but this morning they've emailed again to say they will be increasing my monthly DD yet again by an additional £50 , whether I agree to it or not.

So, we will just continue to go through the process each month then of me cancelling the direct debit and setting up a new one every time this happens. Annoying to have to do so but it literally takes 10 mins online........so be it, happy to keep playing this game if thats what it takes.
We just changed it over variable after they messed about hiking dd prices to silly amounts which turned out to be an error. Just pay for what you use each month, job done. That is how it used to be in the past anyway. Only the last 10 years or so have they started this pay set amount month stuff.

By the way, I suggest keeping an close eye on your accounts. They made a mistake on ours and we were going to get charged £100+ had I not looked into it. At first they said they can't see the problem, I had to properly go into detail for them to say oh yeah I see it and reverse the charges.

Anyone on an E7 meter on the ofgem price cap? My fixed term ends 29/09/22 and i know im in for a railing on prices compared to what im on now but wanting to get a rough idea what the current prices are. Admittedly i could sign onto my work laptop and check but i cant be arsed lol

Currently on:

Day rate
23.19 p/kWh
Night rate
11.96 p/kWh
Standing charge
17 p/day

Let us know how you get on with it. I'm quite tempted myself at that price, 700W continuous load is good and would do for what I was thinking.

Check that it comes with oil and maybe get some spare.

When you say quite a bit, how much exactly?
30 litres is the legal limit, i know i say like a dogooder but just be aware.

Back
Top Bottom