Holidays 2022

Associate
I have the opportunity for a 4-day city break with a friend towards the end of August. Cheap flight out of Stansted and I've narrowed the options to Oslo or Copenhagen.

No preference, does anyone have a particular recommendation between those two?

Associate
We book a weeks holiday in Tenerife for the October half term. Certainly looking forward to going, been wanting a proper holiday for a while now. Kids will love it and is my little reward for working hard renovating the house recently.

Caporegime
I have the opportunity for a 4-day city break with a friend towards the end of August. Cheap flight out of Stansted and I've narrowed the options to Oslo or Copenhagen.

Coppenhagen has more to do, I found Oslo to be quite "empty" in both people and things to do. I mean there is the Vikings Museum and Village, the art gallery building by the harbour, there is the market and that's the main thing. The Sauna and sea diving is more a winter activity. I prefer Copenhagen myself and better too if you are a foodie, lots of Michelin Star restaurants.

Soldato

Copenhagen. Great cocktail scene. Good food scene. Oslo is a bit serious.

Soldato
Supposed to be flying to Italy on Monday. Last Saturday our flight was cancelled but we were able to move to the next flight just 2 hours later, now this evening this flight has been cancelled too. No flights available on Monday at all. Thanks useless easyJet!

Soldato
Mate just had his 2 week family Tui holiday to Lanzarote cancelled at 6 days notice.... "staffing issues" was the given reason. That's shocking.

He had booked overnight in hotel in near Manchester airport as it was an early morning flight with young kids..... TUI just simply said they would add the credit to his account for a future booking and that was it. No apology, no help to rebook, nothing.

He's managed to get something sorted but both him and his wife have had to change holidays at the last minute (now going 14th July) - different flight times, different hotel etc.

Soldato
Are there still stupid long queues at Birmingham airport for check-in?

I want to fly back and visit my friends and family for a few days but if its still like that then I wont bother.

Soldato
OP
Just back from Stansted 30 mins queue through passport control for E gates so many people never seen it that busy :eek:

Poor staff were working flat out directing people there wasnt enough to focus on the lanes and Polish women on my flight got stuck in the gate it said seek assistance, so I spoke to the staff member who was directing traffic the other way.

Done 5 nights in Warsaw quite a nice city but you can see it all in two days wish I had combined it with Krakow.

As for Copenhagen debate above I havnt been to Oslo but have been to Copenhagen I found the people cold, the food scene was very good though but you can see the the sights in two days.

Soldato
OP
A diligent airline pilot has been spotted loading luggage on to a plane, as summer travel chaos continues to grip airports across the UK.

Video shows the conscientious captain down on the tarmac helping ground crew to load up to the plane with baggage ahead of an Edelweiss flight from Edinburgh airport.

It comes as passengers continue to face chaos at UK airports, including at Heathrow, where hundreds of bags have been seen mounting up outside Terminal 2.

Underboss
The post holiday blues hit me hard so have booked for Egypt next year in August - providing TUI are still in business by then anyway.

Soldato
My parents flew home yesterday. As mum has mobility issues - she was fast tracked. The airport staff very kind and brilliant - even recommending a coffee at the cafe.

At EMA, my dad had to hunt for a luggage trolley for their luggage and the staff were not bothered

Soldato
OP
Hundreds of British Airways workers at Heathrow today voted to go on strike in a pay dispute that has now ruined summer holidays for thousands of families.

The militant GMB and Unite unions have blamed 'pig-headed' aviation bosses for causing the wave of industrial action by imposing mass layoffs during the Covid lockdown, as negotiations over pay acrimoniously descended into mudslinging today.

BA said that the unions had rejected a 10% pay offer in favour of walkouts as early as next month, potentially during the school holidays. However, union barons claim the airline's offer was a one-time 'bonus' and its members want the full salary returned.

Its getting worse by the day!

Reactions: nam
Caporegime
Ugh. Had an email from Ryanair saying I need to be at the airport earlier than I've booked My transport for.

Left an hour and a half as I thought no checked bags would be OK. But with all this chaos it's looking like I need to rebook!

Back
Top Bottom