****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
They must have done something to my local Three mast, as at 19:23 I was getting 912Mbps down, and 125Mbps up, and I've never seen above 72Mpbs up since I've had the 5G. Thought it was a bit fast when I was doing a backup and it said 22 mins instead of the 40+ mins it normally takes. Seems to have dropped back today, I wonder if they are testing something new. Very curious. :)

Soldato
Looking like I finally have official coverage, hence the uprated speeds. I was messing around with my phone a couple of evenings ago and managed the below. The ping was high ~25ms but jitter was ok.

xWEJ4zN.png

Looks like if I get myself an antenna it'll give me a good uplift as I can't get over 1Gbps on the CPE right now, so time to move to 2.5GbE internally as well! :D

Soldato
Looking like I finally have official coverage, hence the uprated speeds. I was messing around with my phone a couple of evenings ago and managed the below. The ping was high ~25ms but jitter was ok.

xWEJ4zN.png

Looks like if I get myself an antenna it'll give me a good uplift as I can't get over 1Gbps on the CPE right now, so time to move to 2.5GbE internally as well! :D
I hate you so much. :D

e-N

e-N

Associate
Hi all, brand new user so please be gentle ;)

Just purchased a Zyxel NR5101 and Three Unlimted SIM card to replace BT broadband that was……well lets just say terrible! :rolleyes:

With the Three sim in my iPhone 13 Pro I am getting 700mb+download with around 40mb upload.
With the Three sim in the NR5101 I am getting around half of the download at 350mb+ but over 100mb upload.
I am not un-happy with 350+download because it blows BT‘s speeds out of the water but was hoping I could achieve speeds on the NR5101 closer to that of my iPhone.

Is there anything I can do/change on the NR5101 to match the download speeds of the iPhone? As far as I know all settings are at auto. I am not a complete techno-phobe but I might need step by step idiots guide with any setting changes.

Thanks, Ian

Soldato
Hi all, brand new user so please be gentle ;)

Just purchased a Zyxel NR5101 and Three Unlimted SIM card to replace BT broadband that was……well lets just say terrible! :rolleyes:

With the Three sim in my iPhone 13 Pro I am getting 700mb+download with around 40mb upload.
With the Three sim in the NR5101 I am getting around half of the download at 350mb+ but over 100mb upload.
I am not un-happy with 350+download because it blows BT‘s speeds out of the water but was hoping I could achieve speeds on the NR5101 closer to that of my iPhone.

Is there anything I can do/change on the NR5101 to match the download speeds of the iPhone? As far as I know all settings are at auto. I am not a complete techno-phobe but I might need step by step idiots guide with any setting changes.

Thanks, Ian
Hey Ian, have you tried any different placements round the house? How's the signal strength and values? Definitely nothing to sniff at those speeds. :D You using the internal antenna or you hooked up to an external?

Reactions: e-N

e-N

e-N

Associate
Hey Ian, have you tried any different placements round the house? How's the signal strength and values? Definitely nothing to sniff at those speeds. :D You using the internal antenna or you hooked up to an external?
Hi, thanks for the reply. The speed tests where done in the spare bedroom/office/dumping ground with the NR5101 placed on the desk next to my iPhone in its magsafe cradle. Both devices where showing good to full signal strength of 5G signal with internal antennas.

This was the iPhone test:
52168036868_4c941ed1b7_z_d.jpg

and this was the NR5101 test:
52168509575_66affa11eb_z_d.jpg

Thanks

Soldato
Hi, thanks for the reply. The speed tests where done in the spare bedroom/office/dumping ground with the NR5101 placed on the desk next to my iPhone in its magsafe cradle. Both devices where showing good to full signal strength of 5G signal with internal antennas.

This was the iPhone test:
52168036868_4c941ed1b7_z_d.jpg

and this was the NR5101 test:
52168509575_66affa11eb_z_d.jpg

Thanks
Cool. I'd have a go at some other spots and test over a few days to find the best position for speed and signal. It could just be that the NR5101 has connected with a band like B3 instead of a higher frequency like B7. Might explain the speed difference. If you can grab the connection stats from the router it will shine some light on the situation.

I had my NR7101 on fixed bands but after last update it's still on auto. And I can tell when it goes to B3 compared to the others (usually when downloading) as the peek speeds don't go much past 150—200Mbps.

e-N

e-N

Associate
Cool. I'd have a go at some other spots and test over a few days to find the best position for speed and signal. It could just be that the NR5101 has connected with a band like B3 instead of a higher frequency like B7. Might explain the speed difference. If you can grab the connection stats from the router it will shine some light on the situation.

I had my NR7101 on fixed bands but after last update it's still on auto. And I can tell when it goes to B3 compared to the others (usually when downloading) as the peek speeds don't go much past 150—200Mbps.

Thanks :) I‘ll experiment some more with locations but ultimately I would like to leave the router where it is in the spare room on the desk.
Just grabbed these screenshots from the Zyxel Air app

52168105473_a17e7dde9e_w_d.jpg
52168095516_c162c8cb05_w_d.jpg

Soldato
Thanks :) I‘ll experiment some more with locations but ultimately I would like to leave the router where it is in the spare room on the desk.
Just grabbed these screenshots from the Zyxel Air app

52168105473_a17e7dde9e_w_d.jpg
52168095516_c162c8cb05_w_d.jpg
Yeah I know what you mean, sometimes you just don't want to clutter other areas of the house but ultimately its what works best for you.

I note the firmware version is old. I think v4 is latest. Take a peek here for download links for the firmware and modem firmware.

There's firmware guide there too to tell you how to do it all etc.

Soldato
What info would you need and where do I find it in the router settings? :confused:;)
Log in to admin gui on the router. On the main screen, with the various info cards, click the arrow on the cellular info one. Or you can go onto the menu, system monitor, cellular wan status. Should give the same info.

There you'll see the NR-NSA info and then the further Service info below. It'll be quite long so may need to grab a few screen shots.

e-N

e-N

Associate
Yeah I know what you mean, sometimes you just don't want to clutter other areas of the house but ultimately its what works best for you.

I note the firmware version is old. I think v4 is latest. Take a peek here for download links for the firmware and modem firmware.

There's firmware guide there too to tell you how to do it all etc.

Cool, thank you. Is there a software version I should avoid/known for creating more problems than it solves?

Soldato
Cool, thank you. Is there a software version I should avoid/known for creating more problems than it solves?
Not that I've seen. I used the latest on my NR5101 and now I use the latest on my NR7101. Been nice and stable. I had the power go out the other day and up until then I had 31 days uptime with no hiccups. Which I thought was good.

If I get time tomorrow I'll have a think of any settings you may want to adjust.

e-N

e-N

Associate
Not that I've seen. I used the latest on my NR5101 and now I use the latest on my NR7101. Been nice and stable. I had the power go out the other day and up until then I had 31 days uptime with no hiccups. Which I thought was good.

If I get time tomorrow I'll have a think of any settings you may want to adjust.

Thanks for all your help :)

I’ll do an update this evening and test again.

Here’s the screenshots from the Cellular Info page:

52168407294_64e976bb50_c_d.jpg

52168164006_d438c604d0_b_d.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for all your help :)

I’ll do an update this evening and test again.

Here’s the screenshots from the Cellular Info page:

52168407294_64e976bb50_c_d.jpg

52168164006_d438c604d0_b_d.jpg
First glance all that looks great. I think the speed difference between this and the iPhone is as suspected because the NR5101 has connected using band B3. If that were B1 you'd probably have a speed bump going from 1,800Mhz to 2,100Mhz frequency.

I can't remeber can you select bands on the NR5101? It would be under network setting > broadband within the admin gui somewhere if you could.

Alternatively just give it a reboot and see what it chooses post firmware update. :D

e-N

e-N

Associate
Ok, so I‘ve tried all 4 versions of the latest firmware.

Versions ABVC.2, ABVC.3 & ABVC.4 all caused issues with reception with the reception indicator flashing red and the download/upload speeds dropping through the floor, 20mb download max :confused:

Only version ABVC.1 seems to be stable with reception back up to full signal and download speeds up to 400mb :)

Soldato
Ok, so I‘ve tried all 4 versions of the latest firmware.

Versions ABVC.2, ABVC.3 & ABVC.4 all caused issues with reception with the reception indicator flashing red and the download/upload speeds dropping through the floor, 20mb download max :confused:

Only version ABVC.1 seems to be stable with reception back up to full signal and download speeds up to 400mb
After you upgraded to ABVC.4 did you do the cellular module update? It mentions in the modem upgrade SOP guide "Upgrade the router firmware to the suitable version first and then upgrade the module firmware."

Back
Top Bottom