****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Soldato
I've tried this. Near the windows is my best location and I've not moved it from original location where I had great speeds.

It is either the router or the mast. I have used LTE monitor and it isn't locked to any 5g band -_-.

I will have to try moving the router around and see if that makes a difference.
It’s not all types of glass and it makes a difference whether or not your signal is propagating in a particular way (hence the comment about polarization).

Associate
I've tried my 3 sim in 3 different 5g enabled devices including the Huawei CPE PRO 2 a portable 5g WiFi device and my S20U. All three devices are giving the same DL/UL speeds at the strongest location for 5g signal.

Am I now right to assume something has happened to the 5g mast? If so do I call three and report this or do I wait until something is done about it?

Annoying that it was so good for about 5 months and now all of a sudden... Poor

I also have an EE data sim that doesn't catch 5g speeds even though the router displays about 60% signal for it.

Annoying that both companies have poor coverage of 5g in my area when the masts are not too far from me.

Associate
I've tried my 3 sim in 3 different 5g enabled devices including the Huawei CPE PRO 2 a portable 5g WiFi device and my S20U. All three devices are giving the same DL/UL speeds at the strongest location for 5g signal.

Am I now right to assume something has happened to the 5g mast? If so do I call three and report this or do I wait until something is done about it?

Annoying that it was so good for about 5 months and now all of a sudden... Poor

I also have an EE data sim that doesn't catch 5g speeds even though the router displays about 60% signal for it.

Annoying that both companies have poor coverage of 5g in my area when the masts are not too far from me.
I was looking at the Three 5G deal last month, but after reading up on them it seems very hit and miss with speeds.

Associate
I was looking at the Three 5G deal last month, but after reading up on them it seems very hit and miss with speeds.
I was elated when i managed to find the right spot and hit the 400mbps.

I have contacted their support team and after a few attempts of them trying to say there's no issues in my area they said there is some work being done and it has been sorted. However from my end nothing, I'm still stuck on a low data speed rate (for now).

The speed I'm getting is enough for my day to day activities for now.

5g roll out on this country in general has been rubbish.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much!
Depends who you speak to. I'm still very happy with mine, still getting a solid 700-800mbps down, 40-50mbps up at any time of the day since my mast went in.

I'm coming up for the end of my contract in December and I'll be going with three again, no questions.

2a270a5b-69e3-45bb-af61-7680e7b578e5.png

Soldato
Depends who you speak to. I'm still very happy with mine, still getting a solid 700-800mbps down, 40-50mbps up at any time of the day since my mast went in.

I'm coming up for the end of my contract in December and I'll be going with three again, no questions.

2a270a5b-69e3-45bb-af61-7680e7b578e5.png
I was agreeing with regards to the rollout of 5G. Nothing wrong with 5G when you get it. I'm loving mine. :)

Associate
Three 5g coming to my town soon....at the moment I get 36mb fibre and no full fibre rollout in sight so thinking of getting Three 5g broadband as soon as I can order it, assuming gaming ping is not terrible? I'm not a pro gamer so assuming I won't notice but what's view on here regarding ping?

Soldato
Three 5g coming to my town soon....at the moment I get 36mb fibre and no full fibre rollout in sight so thinking of getting Three 5g broadband as soon as I can order it, assuming gaming ping is not terrible? I'm not a pro gamer so assuming I won't notice but what's view on here regarding ping?
I have no 5G in my area and the only company to supply a decent broadband service is Virgin otherwise I would have looked at this as well.

Stuck with Virgin until someone else provides a decent service here

Associate
Three started to cover my town last month but not the whole place yet and I'm on the edge of coverage .... won't let me order yet.....hope it expands and it's not as good as it will get....

Soldato
Three started to cover my town last month but not the whole place yet and I'm on the edge of coverage .... won't let me order yet.....hope it expands and it's not as good as it will get....

If you get a 5G signal where you are anyhow, all you need to do is use a different postcode when you go to the website that has coverage, add the item to your basket, then checkout with your real details. You still get 14 days to send it back if it turns out your coverage is terrible.

Associate
If you get a 5G signal where you are anyhow, all you need to do is use a different postcode when you go to the website that has coverage, add the item to your basket, then checkout with your real details. You still get 14 days to send it back if it turns out your coverage is terrible.

Hmmm this could be a great idea!! Thanks!

Soldato

Latency and quality of connection will be worse unless you have a poor line currently.

I'd be interested in how you get on as gaming is the main reason I haven't moved to 5G yet.

Soldato
Latency and quality of connection will be worse unless you have a poor line currently.

I'd be interested in how you get on as gaming is the main reason I haven't moved to 5G yet.

What do you mean by quality of connection specifically? What metrics are you/would you measure that by? Down time, speeds, features of the service? Interested as 5G has been the best connection 'quality' I have had other than FTTC, it is certainly better than VM were.

Soldato
What do you mean by quality of connection specifically? What metrics are you/would you measure that by? Down time, speeds, features of the service? Interested as 5G has been the best connection 'quality' I have had other than FTTC, it is certainly better than VM were.

As a general term for combining packet loss, jitter, variable speeds and latency fluctuating with network load, obstacles and weather.

Soldato
As a general term for combining packet loss, jitter, variable speeds and latency fluctuating with network load, obstacles and weather.

Fair enough, in which case my connection has become better for quality than it was when I first went live, better speeds, better latency, and for my own location having LoS the weather seems to make very little difference, unless you are talking torrential rain where you can't see in front of your own face more than 5m. Certainly would only switch to FTTP now if the price was right, or unless 5G went totally down the toilet.

Associate
Just moved place from a 100MB Virgin line, got 110-115Mb wired connection. The new address doesn't have fibre and all the normal providers were quoting 4-6Mb MAX SPEED!!! I would have really struggled with that.

So I got the Three 5G hub, the map showed my new place was just on the edge of 4/5g so wasn't certain I would get good speeds.

Plugged it in, full 5G signal on the LEDs - Speedtest 545Mb LOL I was blown away. I did it 4 times and the lowest I got was about 450Mb.

I have a question though, the two antenna sockets on the router, are they for improved WiFi or improved 5G?? I suspect Wifi but thought I would check..

Also if there are any tweaks in the firmware/special settings I can change for even better performance, my ears are open!

Back
Top Bottom