** Official Returnal Thread **

Soldato
Done! 50 deaths, 33 hours. Biome 4 and 5 were kicking my arse, then on a single run, got all three keys, and the next key and beat the final boss. Bit of a fluke I think considering it was my first time in biome 6. Weapon that changed it was the Electropylon Driver. My last run must have lasted 3 - 4 hours from the start of biome 4. Very good game and one I thought I'd never get close to finishing. Now time for the secret ending?

Soldato
Done! 50 deaths, 33 hours. Biome 4 and 5 were kicking my arse, then on a single run, got all three keys, and the next key and beat the final boss. Bit of a fluke I think considering it was my first time in biome 6. Weapon that changed it was the Electropylon Driver. My last run must have lasted 3 - 4 hours from the start of biome 4. Very good game and one I thought I'd never get close to finishing. Now time for the secret ending?
Finding a gun that suites your play style makes a big difference imo, for me it was the hollowseeker with the waves trait and mixed with any other trait it just seemed to melt everything!

Soldato
I just got this on a whim. Died to a thing that charges at me. And I drowned once lol. I suspect it will grow on me as I put more time in to it, I literally only got 30m with it yesterday.

Soldato
^ this is exactly why I've shied away from this game. Shame as it is supposed to be a great showcase for PS5 but frustration is not something I want from gaming.

I do not feel I am making any progress, I unlocked some weapon traits but then I started to get seemingly harder encounters too including the rooms where the green thing shields enemies. Shame as it's a great atmosphere and I enjoy everything up to the boss. Having 3 health bars is a dick move.
On a plus, it's a fantastic reminder that I can happily ignore Elden Ring too despite getting tempted.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought this and its just too hard for me. I fully expected it to be hard and the format of the game etc but I guess its just not for me. I cant complain though (some are :rolleyes:) as all of this was very much well known in advance.

Soldato
I bought this and its just too hard for me. I fully expected it to be hard and the format of the game etc but I guess its just not for me. I cant complain though (some are :rolleyes:) as all of this was very much well known in advance.

Passive aggressive comments aside, people know that souls games are hard but they are 'fair', when an entire run can be void because you don't get the luck of RNG it just adds more misery. Hearing a game is hard does not give any indicators at all unless you watch gameplay videos beforehand which I never have or will.
A bit like Darkest Dungeon, artificial difficulty because of crappy RNG isn't my idea of fun. Returnal is a lot more skill based of course but there is still an element of it,

Soldato
Passive aggressive comments aside, people know that souls games are hard but they are 'fair', when an entire run can be void because you don't get the luck of RNG it just adds more misery. Hearing a game is hard does not give any indicators at all unless you watch gameplay videos beforehand which I never have or will.
A bit like Darkest Dungeon, artificial difficulty because of crappy RNG isn't my idea of fun. Returnal is a lot more skill based of course but there is still an element of it,
I didn't think that the RNG was that bad to be honest and any unfairness can be mitigated to a point. If it's going to shaft you then it will tend to do it at the start of your run.

Once you realise that having the highest level weapon you can pick up isn't the be all and end all then you'll tend to just hang on to a weapon that you get on well with even if it is slightly lower in level.

Also, if you want ensure a full run then then: 1. Don't go into those rooms where you pick up the yellow thing then drop through the floor to enter as you often get an enemy that is way over levelled for you; 2. Don't bother avenging players. It's not worth the hassle; 3. Just because a room has a big gold door on it doesn't mean you need to go in. :D

That said, I don't mind the die/restart/die/restart loop. It kinda reminds me of how games were when I was growing up and you couldn't save at all.

Soldato
@meths good points, I often favour weapon power over the actual trait itself which can be more useful.
I do also try and clear every single room just because I feel I'll miss out on some it if I don't.
I think sometimes I play too direct, where I focus on attacking instead of avoiding damage. Actually that might be @wwwebber issue with the game, if he plays like he posts then he should try being more direct :p don't be shy, own it.

Associate
I got Returnal when it first came out, but another game grabbed my attention and I put it down for some time and I have only just gotten round to playing it again.
On my first play through when it released I defeated the Biome 1 boss and didn't really progress much into Biome 2

I do remember getting the astronaut which gave you an extra life, but since I've started again I've not seen a single astronaut, am I missing something? The house is always locked whenever I have found it.

In Biome 2 I have defeated the 'Severed' (I think) in the area where above you there are the red rings but I've not got much further.

I love the game but it's kicking me all over! When you start afresh in Biome 1 after dying do people race to Biome 2 ASAP or do they spend time in Biome 1 levelling up with better weapons and stuff before continuing or do you get there as fast as you can? I seem to always struggle getting decent weapons, do you unlock the grapple once you defeat Ixion?

Ta :)

Soldato
I got Returnal when it first came out, but another game grabbed my attention and I put it down for some time and I have only just gotten round to playing it again.
On my first play through when it released I defeated the Biome 1 boss and didn't really progress much into Biome 2

I do remember getting the astronaut which gave you an extra life, but since I've started again I've not seen a single astronaut, am I missing something? The house is always locked whenever I have found it.

In Biome 2 I have defeated the 'Severed' (I think) in the area where above you there are the red rings but I've not got much further.

I love the game but it's kicking me all over! When you start afresh in Biome 1 after dying do people race to Biome 2 ASAP or do they spend time in Biome 1 levelling up with better weapons and stuff before continuing or do you get there as fast as you can? I seem to always struggle getting decent weapons, do you unlock the grapple once you defeat Ixion?

Ta :)
The astronaut is purchased at the shop thing with health items etc but I don’t think it is always there. After I had done biome 1 I would always farm a bit there to get the above before moving on to 2 but you can just as easily do either. If you want to farm just stay away from the optional doors and challenge rooms because depending on the rng it can end your run pretty quickly. Farming is a good way to upgrade weapon traits which you’ll realise later are essential to beating the game or at least making it a lot easier later on. Also I liked to farm for extra health.

Caporegime
Crikey, this game isn't half hard. I'm not very good at dodging projectiles so I tend to end up facing the end of level boss at only half health. I'm not sure how I can improve my chances. I've just tried (only for the second time mind you) with all sort of upgrades and got squished just as I was about to clear the second health gauge. Moar practice needed but Ghost of Tsushima is calling out to me already. It might just be a one cycle per day job with this.

Soldato
So do you start from your spaceship in biome 1 each cycle you play through? Or can you pick up from biome 2, etc. once you've got to it?
When the boss is down there will be a portal to the next biome which is pretty painless to get to. I used to farm biome 1 quickly then move on. You can farm all bosses or ignore them once you’ve beaten them but you do get decent rewards if you do. I used to go back to boss 1 just because he hurt me so bad I almost gave up. Later on he won’t touch you and he’ll go down fast. Just got to get through that barrier. Bit of a tip is that upgrading weapon traits is everything in this game. You’ll beast it if you concentrate on those as they are permanent.

Back
Top Bottom