BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Just upgraded from 500 to 900 with BT, but my upload speed is still at 70mbit. Looks like this has been an issue for quite a few people, though as it’s above the guaranteed 10mbit is there any way I can get them to look at it?

I might be wrong, but usually it's the profile that needs updating, I think some people on the BT support forums have been able to get it sorted, or sometimes after a few days and some restarts the profile updates and the full upload is unlocked.

Soldato
I might be wrong, but usually it's the profile that needs updating, I think some people on the BT support forums have been able to get it sorted, or sometimes after a few days and some restarts the profile updates and the full upload is unlocked.
Thanks.

I’ll give the router and hub a restart, and if that doesn’t work I’ll have a look on the BT forum to see if I can get it sorted.

Soldato
Just upgraded from 500 to 900 with BT, but my upload speed is still at 70mbit. Looks like this has been an issue for quite a few people, though as it’s above the guaranteed 10mbit is there any way I can get them to look at it?
Go via the forums and get the support staff to deal with it for you, was happening frequently after firmware upgrades during my time with BT. Support staff on the forums are golden and can normally sort it quickly.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
After many years of struggles with vdsl, FTTP has now been installed.

Very very happy, but seemingly it does highlight a few issues with the UniFi UDM-Pro.

1. Setting MTU at 1500 is a issue, as Ubiquiti in their infinite wisdom seem to miss this off. However, as a work around you can do the following:

SSH and apply the following:

Code:
sed -i 's/ 1492/ 1500/g' /etc/ppp/peers/ppp0
ip link set dev eth8 mtu 1508
ifconfig eth8 down && ifconfig eth8 up
killall pppd

However, this needs to be done every time the connection is established, so a pain in the ass.

2. IDS / IPS - Using a PPPoE connection slow it down to around 600Mb ~

3. Not sure if this has been fixed in the UDM-SE

4. There was something else I found, which I can't remember now but ill edit this once I have remembered it.

So, I have started to look at the Netgate 6100 or a small white box solution (SuperMicro probably). I could look to run it in a VM but id rather a physical box so I can add to the UPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIA
Soldato
Go via the forums and get the support staff to deal with it for you, was happening frequently after firmware upgrades during my time with BT. Support staff on the forums are golden and can normally sort it quickly.
I’ve raised it on the forums. Had a phone call within about an hour, which was amazing. They said that the limit was on the upload still and that they’d sorted it, but I’m still limited to 73mbit this morning. Fingers crossed the limit comes off soon.

Man of Honour
So, I have started to look at the Netgate 6100 or a small white box solution (SuperMicro probably). I could look to run it in a VM but id rather a physical box so I can add to the UPS.
OPNsense if you are going down that route. I have Untangle but I dabble a bit with OPN and it is very good.

Caporegime
TalkTalk FTTP installed today by OpenReach.

500Mb down 70Mb up. Getting 520Mb down. Very happy coming from their 65Mb service.

Have swapped out the supplied Eero for my Linksys Velop mesh system. Took a bit of tinkering. but the Velop now connects straight to the OpenReach fibre box. so no messing around with two routers near the cable entry point.

Everything just went bizarrely smoothly (touch wood) considering all the experiences I'd read from unhappy TalkTalk punters on the forums.

They sent a VOIP phone adapter for their 'digital voice' service, so I'll try that out tomorrow.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
I recently moved from BT FTTP to TalkTalk FTTP and the service has been great. On the 900mb package it’s coming out as 20-25Mbps quicker than BT as well. I got the same speeds as RSR above and with TalkTalk it max’s out at 946 consistently over 921-926 on BT.

With all the cash back deals on at the moment worked out as £38 ish a month I was hoping to sell on the Eero kit as you get two with the 900 package but looks like it’s locked to TalkTalk who can stop it connecting to other providers. I did try them and the WiFi performance was surprisingly good getting 700Mbps+

RSR

RSR

Soldato
@Dangerous Dave I think that's helped by the fact TalkTalk don't use PPoE authentication from memory, allowing a little less overhead.

That's 100% the issue as some of the time they peg the PPP to a single thread on a CPU, so it will limit the throughput as this is the issue on the UniFi which I have got it working for now. I have ordered a UDM SE to test and ill also grab a Netgate 6100 as well.

Also out the box, it will have reduced MTU of 1492 or lower depending on the MSS Clamping. RFC 4638 was introduced to allow a 1500MTU on a PPPoE connection but its often a pain to setup correctly and will reclaim some lost speed.

As far as a can see pfSense does allow for this with some ease but others you need to change config files and then it may not be persisant via reboots.

This is a helpful site for checking MTU / MSS Clamping sizes - https://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php

Caporegime
You can get the same throughput with PPPoE by using baby jumbo frames, most ISP-provided routers now can hardware offload the PPPoE stuff.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Caporegime
With all the cash back deals on at the moment worked out as £38 ish a month I was hoping to sell on the Eero kit as you get two with the 900 package but looks like it’s locked to TalkTalk who can stop it connecting to other providers. I did try them and the WiFi performance was surprisingly good getting 700Mbps+
I don't need my Eero either.

Wondering if I can somehow add it as a node to my Linksys Velop mesh? Guessing there's no way. Or maybe it can operate as a switch, or somehow be configured so it's not locked to TalkTalk.

Caporegime
TalkTalk FTTP installed today by OpenReach.

500Mb down 70Mb up. Getting 520Mb down. Very happy coming from their 65Mb service.

Have swapped out the supplied Eero for my Linksys Velop mesh system. Took a bit of tinkering. but the Velop now connects straight to the OpenReach fibre box. so no messing around with two routers near the cable entry point.

Everything just went bizarrely smoothly (touch wood) considering all the experiences I'd read from unhappy TalkTalk punters on the forums.

They sent a VOIP phone adapter for their 'digital voice' service, so I'll try that out tomorrow.

Had the same package for ~3 months now, service has been excellent, the supplied Eero router is trash, using a pfSense 1U server instead.

Man of Honour
Anyone on Zen here and monitor their latency? I used to get between 5 and 12ms depending on the gateway I connect to. Now it's between 12ms and 24ms, the gateways are on a different IP range to before. Full Openreach fibre.

EDIT. Looks like I was GEA migrated 2 days ago. Marvellous. Will see what they say.

Any other ISPs offering a static IP address for around £60 a months for OR 900/100?

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Anyone on Zen here and monitor their latency? I used to get between 5 and 12ms depending on the gateway I connect to. Now it's between 12ms and 24ms, the gateways are on a different IP range to before. Full Openreach fibre.

EDIT. Looks like I was GEA migrated 2 days ago. Marvellous. Will see what they say.

Any other ISPs offering a static IP address for around £60 a months for OR 900/100?

Do a trace route and see if you are on the Manchester GW, as my DSL connection can flip between London and Manc.

If so, unplug it for a bit and it should flip back.

Man of Honour
Do a trace route and see if you are on the Manchester GW, as my DSL connection can flip between London and Manc.

If so, unplug it for a bit and it should flip back.
I'm on 51.148.77.132 currently (London), it changes between .128-.132 and one of them is 24ms. :o

It's been off for a bit but no luck, checking download/upload speeds and they are no where near as consistent as before.

Back
Top Bottom