Summer Transfer Window 22/23

Man of Honour
Could De Jong and Eriksen play together in midfield? I think De Jong is more defensive? And Eriksen can also play a few positions?

Yep, I think that's the plan. De Jong is a deeper playmaker (something we've lacked since Scholes), where as someone like Bruno has to be further forward really. Eriksen is somewhere between the two, and can operate wide if needed.

Soldato
Smells of desperation purchase and over valuation. Unproven in EPL etc.

What are the chances of him being another player who we look at and question why we paid so much?

Any news on a CB? RB? Striker?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hard to say but anyone who watched Ajax in the champions League under ETH when he had FDJ and DVB together knows they are both class acts. FDJ has also produced internationally. The be question is if he really want to go.

Soldato
Hard to say but anyone who watched Ajax in the champions League under ETH when he had FDJ and DVB together knows they are both class acts. FDJ has also produced internationally. The be question is if he really want to go.

Can he do it week in week out in the EPL, surrounded by big egos and a disjointed dressing room? How will he play knowing that Maguire is behind him?

Man of Honour
Maybe give the predictable mindless cynicism a rest.

Ten Hag is the new manager and De Jong is his main target to start the rebuild - why should we not sign him? Who should we buy instead as a midfield playmaker, a position we desperately need to improve?

Caporegime
There are maybe 4/5 clubs that could afford him and they don't need someone his position right now. The only other possible is PSG and they don't seem to be prioritising midfielders as usual.

Soldato
Maybe give the predictable mindless cynicism a rest.

Ten Hag is the new manager and De Jong is his main target to start the rebuild - why should we not sign him? Who should we buy instead as a midfield playmaker, a position we desperately need to improve?
Was a bout to reply to it but I won’t bite.

Think xavi wants him, Barca need the money…

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think my comments are mindless. We've had a decade, a ****ing decade of poor purchases and no plan nor footballing philosophy. We brought in a so-called expert who we then asked to manage the team and then got rid of him because the new manager didn't want him. Why does the manger choose again? Same old story. What happens when ETH leaves?

Goldridge on YT makes some good points. We're targeting mainly Ajax players, so ETH is driving this, yet in Ajax he wasn't solely responsible for transfers, he had Overmas and van der Sar there.

Don
There are maybe 4/5 clubs that could afford him and they don't need someone his position right now. The only other possible is PSG and they don't seem to be prioritising midfielders as usual.
PSG and Liverpool were both in for Tchouameni before he went to Real and City are about to sign Phillips as their Fernandinho replacement to cover/compete with Rodri. I'm not knocking de Jong but there's several clubs that are or were in the market for a holding midfielder.

Man of Honour
I don't think my comments are mindless. We've had a decade, a ****ing decade of poor purchases and no plan nor footballing philosophy. We brought in a so-called expert who we then asked to manage the team and then got rid of him because the new manager didn't want him. Why does the manger choose again? Same old story. What happens when ETH leaves?

Goldridge on YT makes some good points. We're targeting mainly Ajax players, so ETH is driving this, yet in Ajax he wasn't solely responsible for transfers, he had Overmas and van der Sar there.

We are not going to get this great football infrastructure in place before the new season. ETH knows what he's doing (hopefully) and has identified players that will mean we're able to execute his gameplan more effectively.

FDJ is considered one of the best midfielders around (not least by the new manager) and we need a player like him, so it makes sense.

Like you, I don't have a lot of faith in the club but the current priority has to be to get ETH in the best possible shape for the new season and go from there. Previous windows were more scattergun, we've said from the start the priority is FDJ and that has been the focus.

PSG and Liverpool were both in for Tchouameni before he went to Real and City are about to sign Phillips as their Fernandinho replacement to cover/compete with Rodri. I'm not knocking de Jong but there's several clubs that are or were in the market for a holding midfielder.

I'm not sure he's that much of a holding midfielder, ETH himself said previously he's too attacking for that.

Caporegime
Those players are all pretty different though, if you needed a Phillips you wouldn't sign FDJ.

Generally my concern is not how long this has taken, I'd much rather us not just pay the first price clubs ask for. My concern is that we've done nothing else

Back
Top Bottom