Summer Transfer Window 22/23

Don
Those players are all pretty different though, if you needed a Phillips you wouldn't sign FDJ.
They play the role differently but they're all holding midfielders. And in City's case, you'd think that de Jong is far more suited to how City play than Phillips would be too.

Soldato
We are not going to get this great football infrastructure in place before the new season. ETH knows what he's doing (hopefully) and has identified players that will mean we're able to execute his gameplan more effectively.

FDJ is considered one of the best midfielders around (not least by the new manager) and we need a player like him, so it makes sense.

Like you, I don't have a lot of faith in the club but the current priority has to be to get ETH in the best possible shape for the new season and go from there. Previous windows were more scattergun, we've said from the start the priority is FDJ and that has been the focus.

I'm not sure he's that much of a holding midfielder, ETH himself said previously he's too attacking for that.

The Eriksen saga as well. We're competing against Brentford for a 30 year old. I appreciate we are where we are and it's a long road back, I just think this is another false dawn. Nothing is saying otherwise. Perhaps the backroom staff shuffle will come good in time, who knows.

Caporegime
They play the role differently but they're all holding midfielders. And in City's case, you'd think that de Jong is far more suited to how City play than Phillips would be too.

I can't claim to know how City want to use Phillips but they don't exactly need another playmaker, they've got those in spades.

Caporegime
OP
And Saliba is back. Thats 4 CB’s. Plus, Tomiyasu can play CB too.

We need cover at LB though.

Football teams are like a car though. You can buy all the best bits, but you still need a good mechanic to put it all together.

Soldato
Liverpool have signed, well when he turns 16 Trent Kane-Doherty from Derry City for 150k. By all accounts hes got massive potential and can play on both wings. Still young but good to see us planning for the future aswell,

Soldato
Liverpool have signed, well when he turns 16 Trent Kane-Doherty from Derry City for 150k. By all accounts hes got massive potential and can play on both wings. Still young but good to see us planning for the future aswell,
Well, everyone says that Trent can play anywhere. Looks like we might wind up with a team of them!

Soldato
Going to go on record to say that I fully believe Eriksen will sign a new contract with Brentford, thus ushering a new age of shame for Man United and forcing them to overpay for De Jong just to satisfy ETH. The post post-Ferguson years.

Although I should mention that I'm terrible at predictions :D

Caporegime
If he does end up signing for Brentford it's because he's chosen first team football at a smaller club over playing a smaller role at a bigger club. Won't be anything new and happens all the time, hell happened under Fergie with Bale going to Southampton etc.

Soldato
If he does end up signing for Brentford it's because he's chosen first team football at a smaller club over playing a smaller role at a bigger club. Won't be anything new and happens all the time, hell happened under Fergie with Bale going to Southampton etc.

Do you mean Bale going to Spurs from Southampton?

Soldato
Think it's Kone-Doherty rather than Kane. I've not seen him personally, but a mate of mine is involved in the under age set-up here in Ireland and rates him. Direct, pacey, loves to take defenders on in a 1 on 1. His favourite player is M'bappe apparently lol.

Don
I can't claim to know how City want to use Phillips but they don't exactly need another playmaker, they've got those in spades.
I don't know if Pep can ever have too many. That's besides the point though, at least 4 top sides are or were in the market for a number 6 and have all looked elsewhere to de Jong - whether that's because they don't think he's good enough or because they all want something different in that role.

Soldato
The likes of olayers choosing Brentford over Manchester United definitely doesn't happen all the time... Brentford still have Championship wages!

Back
Top Bottom