• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 worth it over RTX 3070?

Soldato
A million times yes! The extra 2 GB makes all the difference because it's becoming too common to run out of vram. But it depends on how long you want to keep it (and also when you plan to upgrade the CPU, because that's going to be a significant bottleneck, particularly for >60 fps).

Soldato
OP
Whatever card i get i will be keeping for a long while. If i can get a decent 1440p ultrawide or 4k screen then i may do in future.

I had planned to get the card and see how it went, then get a new PSU if needed. Then maybe a 5600X or 5700X after that.

Then on top of all that ive seen a nice full build on marketplace with a 3070 and an i5 12400F for around £850 so wondering if that may be better.

Soldato
The 25 to 50% faster is misleading to say the least.

Using both of them currently and the 80 is capable of about two settings higher than the 70 running fps parity.

70's 8gb makes it great@1080p, ok@1440p.

80's 10gb makes it great@1440p, decent@4K.

Both of them can be vram limited occaisionally but still run every game out there.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Whatever card i get i will be keeping for a long while. If i can get a decent 1440p ultrawide or 4k screen then i may do in future.

I had planned to get the card and see how it went, then get a new PSU if needed. Then maybe a 5600X or 5700X after that.

Then on top of all that ive seen a nice full build on marketplace with a 3070 and an i5 12400F for around £850 so wondering if that may be better.

This is different to the OP. If you want it to last ages but cannot wait for what Ada offers, then the 12GB 3080 is your safest bet.

So is it worth the extra money? I game at 1440p and i have a 165Hz monitor. CPU is a ryzen 3600.

Both of them can be vram limited occaisionally but still run every game out there.

Caporegime
The 25 to 50% faster is misleading to say the least.

Is it? I've shown my numbers from a pretty reasonable review at 1440P. Their 14 game average showed a 22.5% increase in average FPS, the best case is 50% at 1440P, there were worse cases obviously. The only obvious criticism to my mind is that they used a 3950X but that's going to make little difference over a 3600 at 1440P.

What would you say is more realistic?

Associate
I'd recommend holding off a few months. Had it been a year ago, I would have said 3080 since it can handle everything with good settings at 1440p, and likely will have legroom to handle newer games over the next year+ Now, however, the longevity proposition of going with a 3080 is shorter, and the new cards are coming out later this year which will almost certainly deliver better performance in the same price bracket.

Caporegime
I would watch peoples side by side reviews and go based on them:

You'll find a 3080 is considerably better than a 3070 especially in RT (which is in the majority of games now and will be the norm going forward)

I use my 3080 for both 4k and 3440x1440 and whilst the 3080 absolutely smashes games at these res. with ease, especially if using dlss/FSR, however, you are going to struggle with RT going forward, several titles out there now where even a 3090/ti is struggling. If you don't care about RT or are happy to reduce settings or turn it off, a 3080 is a much safer bet, wouldn't waste an extra £400+ on the 3080 12gb vram model given it shows very little to no benefit in 99% of games, maybe in another 2-3 years, it might be more beneficial in a variety of games (unless direct storage takes off) but then by that time, you'll have low range gpus destroying the current flagship devices.

Also, your cpu will hold back both the 3070 and 3080 in the 0.1 and 1% lows, I had a highly clocked 2600 and went to a stock 5600x, the difference was night and day especially in cpu heavy games like cp 2077, even at 4k.

Ultimately at this stage, you would be better of waiting for the next lot of gpus, you'll be getting 3090/ti performance for half the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
What would you say is more realistic?
Using both of them currently and the 80 is capable of about two settings higher than the 70 running fps parity.
First off, I'm running both of them.

Unless you play that 50% higher title, it's misleading, that titles probably been added to make it look a higher performance delta.

If the 70 is maxing@60 fps and the 80 maxing@72 fps, yes thats 20% higher fps on same settings.

As stated above, add 2 higher in game settings(it could be 3 settings, but it could also only be 1 setting)-they both hit 60 fps-it isn't a huge difference imo.

Anyone buying either 70/80 should be aware if Nv's Ada baseline vram amount is increased to 12Gb, both the 70/80 are toast going forwards imo, they will still run everything but on lower settings.

Soldato
Anyone buying either 70/80 should be aware if Nv's Ada baseline vram amount is increased to 12Gb, both the 70/80 are toast going forwards imo, they will still run everything but on lower settings.

Its too late in the cycle for the excuses IMO. We have been over it whether or not people liked hearing the reality. Now that the OP has expanded that he wants to upgrade in the near future and wants the card to last 3+ years, its Ada all the way for me.

You could get a good price on a 3080 12GB but its still going to be north of £650 so I cant entertain that idea.

ed- your other option before the pitchforks and torches come out it get a Radeon card.

Soldato
First off, I'm running both of them.

Unless you play that 50% higher title, it's misleading, that titles probably been added to make it look a higher performance delta.

If the 70 is maxing@60 fps and the 80 maxing@72 fps, yes thats 20% higher fps on same settings.

As stated above, add 2 higher in game settings(it could be 3 settings, but it could also only be 1 setting)-they both hit 60 fps-it isn't a huge difference imo.

I have both of them as well and you are quite correct. I did a slew of my own tests and I was distinctly underwhelmed by the 3080 performance (I think about 22% improvement for me) at a standard 1440p but now I realise why.

The fact that the 3080 was also using ~100 Watts more (~50% more power) also added to that notion.

Caporegime
Although I run 1440p Ultrawide I’d still recommend the 3080. I also run mine on a good quality Superflower Leadex 3 gold 650W PSU without issue.

I can’t say I’ve ever found the 10GB VRAM an issue. It might be more of an issue at 4K but at my res it’s not. Even on CP2077.

Soldato
Its too late in the cycle for the excuses IMO. We have been over it whether or not people liked hearing the reality. Now that the OP has expanded that he wants to upgrade in the near future and wants the card to last 3+ years, its Ada all the way for me.

You could get a good price on a 3080 12GB but its still going to be north of £650 so I cant entertain that idea.

ed- your other option before the pitchforks and torches come out it get a Radeon card.
Agreed, it's hitting eol for the 30 series, but, Nv/AMD drip feed new gpus to keep the pricing high, so there will no doubt be an availability issue purchasing 40/70 series if waiting out for next gen, considering as it's only taken 20 months for the £469 70 FE to become easily available, I mean folks would rather spend £750+ instead of £469, or £1200+ instead of £649 wouldn't they?:p

I have both of them as well and you are quite correct. I did a slew of my own tests and I was distinctly underwhelmed by the 3080 performance (I think about 22% improvement for me) at a standard 1440p but now I realise why.

The fact that the 3080 was also using ~100 Watts more (~50% more power) also added to that notion.
The extra power/heat output needed for a small gain is huge, good point.

Also, been laughed at in here/told I'm talking rubbish on the ~2 extra settings before from users that don't have both:cry:, thanks for for the validation bud.

Soldato

Interesting but not shocked in the slightest. Some were preaching these were the only cards to have and all!

Caporegime
Interesting but not shocked in the slightest. Some were preaching these were the only cards to have and all!
The fact that the 3080FE sells out in minutes but the 3070 and 3070ti are still available (caveat, I last checked a couple of days ago) says most still favour the 3080 over even the 3070ti.

Caporegime
The fact that the 3080FE sells out in minutes but the 3070 and 3070ti are still available (caveat, I last checked a couple of days ago) says most still favour the 3080 over even the 3070ti.
Indeed, both are great cards and can't be beat for value to perf. but as pointed out by various tech reviewers backed up by their testing, the 3080 is/was the king this gen for "overall" value and perf.

Gibbo stated a month or so back that the 3080 was leading in the top sales followed by the 3070 and that was with AIB prices.

Soldato
Gibbo also stated the FE's as we all know are hardly on sale and that (he used)Asus as an example has sold more inventory than FE's sold.

Another fun 80FE fact, it's not on sale for 3+ months at a time=the least dropped FE.

Caporegime
Gibbo also stated the FE's as we all know are hardly on sale and that (he used)Asus as an example has sold more inventory than FE's sold.

Another fun 80FE fact, it's not on sale for 3+ months at a time=the least dropped FE.
Given the extra profit selling the 3080ti it’s not surprising Nvidia will divert most chips to the more expensive, pre-scalped for your convenience Card.

Soldato

I think Gibbo mentioned the 12GB cards sell the best out of his inventory. That would make sense spec wise if people dont want to upgrade every gen cycle.

Back
Top Bottom