Feek's macOS useful tools, utilities and applications thread

Man of Honour
can anyone recommend a Visio alternative for Mac? must be able to read and edit Visio files.
Omnigraffle
Lucid Chart

We also use Miro but it’s not as detailed as Visio.

They are ones my company uses.

I don’t understand why MS won’t allow Visio on Mac.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another recommendation for Lucid here, as Chris says Microsoft are being silly still and not allowing us Visio on Mac, and frankly I wouldn't go back now anyway. Another recommendation if you use IaC or anything look at Diagramming as Code.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
As far as I can tell Lucas is a cloud application. That's no good, I need an actually installed program. (Sometimes I need diagrams and have no network connection, PLUS, security concerns over cloud SAS applications like this)

Soldato
The OmniGroup apps are known to be very expensive. If you're only keeping track of a few todos you could just use the built in Reminders app. If you want something a bit more fully fledged I'd recommend looking at Things 3. OmniFocus has a lot of features that I can't imagine ever needing to use.

Commissario
OP
I did this Alfred years ago.
I was the same when I first used Alfred, I installed it and decided it did exactly the same as spotlight and there was no advantage over spotlight. Now I've delved further into it and realised that it can do a lot more than just that. I also like how the configuration is synced between Macs, so I change something on [say] my iMac and it's replicated over to the MBA.

Soldato
I was the same when I first used Alfred, I installed it and decided it did exactly the same as spotlight and there was no advantage over spotlight. Now I've delved further into it and realised that it can do a lot more than just that. I also like how the configuration is synced between Macs, so I change something on [say] my iMac and it's replicated over to the MBA.
Completely agree with the above - but you misunderstood my point, almost certainly because I didn't explain very well :p

I thought I didn't need and I didn't see what benefit Alfred did or gave me. Reminders type software I just don't get what they a give, yet there seems to be loads of them.

Soldato
Completely agree with the above - but you misunderstood my point, almost certainly because I didn't explain very well :p

I thought I didn't need and I didn't see what benefit Alfred did or gave me. Reminders type software I just don't get what they a give, yet there seems to be loads of them.
Ask someone with ADHD how much they rely on reminder apps :D.

Commissario
OP
Reminders type software I just don't get what they a give, yet there seems to be loads of them.
Ahh yes, I see what you mean now.

I use reminders, a very old version. They're yellow, made of paper and I use an implement called a fountain pen to fill them in. When I've done what they remind me to do, I store them in the circular file on the floor :D

Soldato

I use reminders, a very old version. They're yellow, made of paper and I use an implement called a fountain pen to fill them in. When I've done what they remind me to do, I store them in the circular file on the floor :D
Problem with me doing that is that my writing is so bad I can't read what I wrote in an hours time :cry:

Soldato
Does anyone know of any note-taking software that primarily supports scientific/mathematical notes? I can always use my Apple Pencil 2 but seeing as my handwriting is terrible, I was hoping there was something out there for writing symbols/equations.

Soldato
Does anyone know an app to help control multiple monitors? Specifically being able to quickly control which display is on/off?

I'm used to using the Win+P shortcut on windows that quickly lets me choose which display is output - or to extend/mirror. Looking for something similar...

Soldato
Apps like https://www.omnigroup.com/omnifocus what am I missing with these? Seems like an expensive Google Calendar and MacOS file tagging? Normally I would dismiss it and move on, I did this Alfred years ago.

The other week I gave it another try and love it now. Brings me back to what OmniFocus or DevonThink do that Google Calendar with tagging files doesn't already do?

The OmniGroup apps are known to be very expensive. If you're only keeping track of a few todos you could just use the built in Reminders app. If you want something a bit more fully fledged I'd recommend looking at Things 3. OmniFocus has a lot of features that I can't imagine ever needing to use.

To answer my own question I have started using https://www.notion.so/ for the last few weeks. Grown to love it and it has certainly helped me keep organised in the last few weeks when everyone has been on holiday.

Takes a bit of getting used to but it has a solid following so there many YouTube guides and templates available.

Best thing about it all is that's its free!

Soldato
What's generally considered the best app for "cleaning" up your Mac?

Was just reading an article on Apple Insider about Zoom leaving behind an auto installer or something that is vulnerable to hackers. Got me thinking I should probably do some house keeping or maybe even a fresh install.

Man of Honour
What's generally considered the best app for "cleaning" up your Mac?

Was just reading an article on Apple Insider about Zoom leaving behind an auto installer or something that is vulnerable to hackers. Got me thinking I should probably do some house keeping or maybe even a fresh install.
Nothing, just leave it.

Back
Top Bottom