Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
Yes the cable modem config is actually a bit higher than what is advertised. I think they did this so when advertising the average speeds, its a bit higher to allow for overheads etc. I think my 350 connects at 370 or something about that. They've done this for years.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes the cable modem config is actually a bit higher than what is advertised. I think they did this so when advertising the average speeds, its a bit higher to allow for overheads etc. I think my 350 connects at 370 or something about that. They've done this for years.
Yep. Same here. 370-380ish. Plenty fast for me.

Associate
I do actually get ~45 -46Mbps dl too. I only ask cos I wondered if the M500 guys get a little extra as well, just as a straw poll see if M500 was worth negotiating next month when my contract runs out.

Soldato
What speeds do people on M500 actually get ? just wondering, I'm currently on 350 but seem to be connected at around 390 ish all the time.

Have had mine since Feb always been 540-560mb...no dropouts line been perfect.

I am actually thinking of upgrading to 1gb as I been offered it for £15 more a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'm in a congested area.

Call to d/c and get £4 off, retentions offers £8 off. Still double "new customer" price.

Sod it, this will be the year I try out a VM business line. Literally double the dl/upload for the same best renewal price and additionally all calls are included.

Soldato
I guess it must depend on where you are as to the service you get. I’m on a gig, Im Lucky if I get 400 out of it. The local box is over subbed, engineers are always on the estate complaining about the state of it all so a number of connects get spliced in with each other. That’s not a problem really if you are both on m500 or less, you may see a smidge more latency and a bit of noise but other than that you are golden. If you are on a gig like me, you get it for a few weeks and then you are crippled again. It’s £46 so I can’t complain too much but a more reliable service would be splendid.

Last edited:
Soldato
...and that's me signed for 600/50mb, free uk calls and 4G backup for £46 with vm business.

I get the new router in the mail, sling old one back to vm domestic and the only real change is I have to plug the phone into the router because digital.

Associate
Would you guys recommend virgin media i am currently on bt with 80/20 fttc connection and virgin media is available in my area . I am paying £40 per month for this so do you guys have any recommendations on what package etc

Soldato
Would you guys recommend virgin media i am currently on bt with 80/20 fttc connection and virgin media is available in my area . I am paying £40 per month for this so do you guys have any recommendations on what package etc
Firstly, BT are absolutely rinsing you. An 80/20 fttc package can be had for about £20pm through NowTV or Shell.

I have the M350 package cause it offers much faster download than FTTC and faster upload too. Speeds have been very consistent.
RtSE24G.png

Support have been very good. I had a couple of days where it went down for a minute or so, rang them up and it's never been down since. When I moved house they ran a fibre to my new flat as it wasn't connected.

Some people have issues so test it thoroughly during the 14 day cool off period.

Soldato
Better of taking out a cheap O2 sim for £6 or £8 and boost it 1gig that way. Unless you already done that?

I am not using a phone line for my 500mb so can't see any upgrade options other than 1gb for extra £15 a month which to be fair seems worth it.

Soldato
Is it easy switching to vm? I heard you have to get your house wired with a coax cable

I went from BT fibre was on around 65mb speed with them now 500mb Virgin gives 540-560mb always been on it 4 months and not 1 dropout line is very stable low latency too.

It took about 3 weeks to get engineer out but first time he came VM didn't plan it well as it was a fairly long job and he didn't have required tools.(had to re-schedule for 3 weeks later but kept BT until it got installed)

I used Uswitch website and pay £37 a month without phone line too.....which I think is really good.

The coax cable will be run along the inside of the property.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am not using a phone line for my 500mb so can't see any upgrade options other than 1gb for extra £15 a month which to be fair seems worth it.

Nothing to do with a phone line. All you do is get a cheap monthly O2 sim and tell Virgin and they will upgrade you to 1gb at no additional cost. It is called Volt.

I just had a look they have a 5GB sim only an at £6 a month. So why pay £15? :)

Soldato

Unless the FTTC package is holding you back and annoying you, I'd stay where you are. Latency and jitter are far superior on FTTC compared to Virgin. The latter will add multiples to your ping, and much more again to your jitter and bufferbloat. You'll find browsing less snappy and potentially (note, potentially) some artifacts with VOIP and video calls, buffering etc that you didn't suffer before. The quality of VM is also very area dependent. Ask neighbours.

Speeds have been very consistent.

What speed test app is that? Is it self-hosted or just the history in a regular app?

Soldato
Nothing to do with a phone line. All you do is get a cheap monthly O2 sim and tell Virgin and they will upgrade you to 1gb at no additional cost. It is called Volt.

I just had a look they have a 5GB sim only an at £6 a month. So why pay £15? :)

In MyVM page it only shows that option to upgrade....even if I click the welcome to volt section it goes to same page unless it's somewhere else?

Back
Top Bottom