• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Caporegime
OP
There doesn't seem to be much discussion on share price when it's not doing well

AMD shares have lost 60% value in the last 7 months

This is why we don't talk about that ^^^

I work it out as 52% loss for AMD from ATH and intel has lost 47% since their high.

Nvidia has lost 56%!

Investors think there is a recession coming, which usually spells bad news for expensive tech.

That's a quite strong statement, Humbug.
While I have some doubts myself about their hybrid architecture, 12700k reviews have been pretty positive: What would you suggest at the same MSRP instead?

As i said "i do actually think the 12700K is a damned good CPU and it is worth the money" why even ask that? :)

Caporegime
OP
Articles like the above always make me cautious, just feels like they are saying what ever they want to make some money

I read a lot of these types of articles and they all seem to have their vested short interests, they are silent when shares are on the up, once they peak they suddenly become very bearish, they go silent again when shares are on the way down, once they bottom out the same writers become very bullish.

It seems they are trying to influence those stocks rather than report on them.

Soldato
I read a lot of these types of articles and they all seem to have their vested short interests, they are silent when shares are on the up, once they peak they suddenly become very bearish, they go silent again when shares are on the way down, once they bottom out the same writers become very bullish.

Always beware when there's money involved. If I haven't done my own research I wouldn't invest in anything just on someone else's advice. Good advice I read once was, if you can't explain it on one side of a sheet of paper you shouldn't be investing in it.

Caporegime
OP
Always beware when there's money involved. If I haven't done my own research I wouldn't invest in anything just on someone else's advice. Good advice I read once was, if you can't explain it on one side of a sheet of paper you shouldn't be investing in it.

Yeah, i would exand on that and say you shouldn't be investing in any company you don't intrinsically understand and have done for many years, you should know its past and present like its the back of your own hand, only that way can you understand its future.

Soldato
Yeah, i would exand on that and say you shouldn't be investing in any company you don't intrinsically understand and have done for many years, you should know its past and present like its the back of your own hand, only that way can you understand its future.
Yes I was tipping AMD to colleagues at a couple of dollars, when I didn't have any money to put into it. Wish I had!

Associate
This is why we don't talk about that ^^^

Investors think there is a recession coming, which usually spells bad news for expensive tech.

As i said "i do actually think the 12700K is a damned good CPU and it is worth the money" why even ask that? :)
Because you said Intel is never the best, which kinda contradicts your previous statement...

Caporegime
OP
Because you said Intel is never the best, which kinda contradicts your previous statement...
Oh i see, Intel don't have the best gaming CPU, nor do they have the best productivity CPU.

That's not to say Intel's CPU's are bad, very far from it they are very good, agree with @Troezar the 12700K is an excellent all rounder, every bit as good as the 5900X in productivity and better at gaming, but not as good as the 5950X in productivity, the 12900K is no better than the 5950X and the 5800X3D has them all beat in gaming.

Alder Lake is brilliant, but AMD are still the thorn in Intel's side that just refuses to dislodge.

Caporegime
OP
I'm going to quote Robert Hallock, because he's not wrong, AMD have developed a lot of advanced technologies over the last few years, that gives them a lot of leavers to pull.

With Alder Lake Intel finally got the better of Zen 3 in gaming, so AMD pulled one of their leavers, that leaver was the 5800X3D.

Soldato
I'm going to quote Robert Hallock, because he's not wrong, AMD have developed a lot of advanced technologies over the last few years, that gives them a lot of leavers to pull.

With Alder Lake Intel finally got the better of Zen 3 in gaming, so AMD pulled one of their leavers, that leaver was the 5800X3D.
Competition is a wonderful thing, both having to try hard now.

Soldato
Yes, and again i cannot emphasise enough just how much i like the 12700K, but from a reality in gaming and from a semi conductor technology enthusiast point of view the 5800X3D is pure genius and areal leap forward in technology.
One of the biggest bonuses I see is you don't need high end RAM to get the best out of it. Typical that I have high end RAM that now seems like overkill :cry: This could pay off with DDR5 if it means cheaper kits still get good performance. If Intel also go down this route the market for fast, low latency RAM could shrink a lot.

Caporegime
OP
Yes, and again i cannot emphasise enough just how much i like the 12700K, but from a reality in gaming and from a semi conductor technology enthusiast point of view the 5800X3D is pure genius and a real leap forward in technology.

Look, its not just that there is more cache, its not as simple as that, its not as if you can just have 96MB of L3 on the chip and get the same result, no! The size, the physical area of the cache would be very much larger horizontally, that adds a lot of latency, so much it would probably nullify any gains you might get from it. You literally just end up with a larger chip.

The holly grail is to stack vertically, has been for decades, but the logistical challenge of actually doing that, to have the microscopic connections to deliver the bandwidth and power to and from the stacked chip is immense, one cannot over state AMD's achievement.

Associate
Look, its not just that there is more cache, its not as simple as that, its not as if you can just have 96MB of L3 on the chip and get the same result, no! The size, the physical area of the cache would be very much larger horizontally, that adds a lot of latency, so much it would probably nullify any gains you might get from it. You literally just end up with a larger chip.

The holly grail is to stack vertically, has been for decades, but the logistical challenge of actually doing that, to have the microscopic connections to deliver the bandwidth and power to and from the stacked chip is immense, one cannot over state AMD's achievement.

I wonder how hot cache gets and if it would have made more sense to stack it below the chip instead of on top...
Anyways cheers to competition!

Associate

Intel certainly have their market troubles now. Maybe getting Gov money to pay for their FABs might help but profit margin is crap. I wonder just how much it cost to produce 'Big/Little on 10nm?

Caporegime
OP
Intel certainly have their market troubles now. Maybe getting Gov money to pay for their FABs might help but profit margin is crap. I wonder just how much it cost to produce 'Big/Little on 10nm?

Revenue Guidance: $18 Billion, actual earnings: $15.3 Billion.

Client Computing, that's retail, Core series CPU's ecte... Down 25%
Data Centre and AI, down 18%.

Nancy Pelosi sells her shares in Apple and Nvidia, buys shares in Intel and comes to the rescue with $250 Billion of tax payers money bailout for Intel's foundry development. Nice, must be great to be privileged enough to use tax payers money to make yourself wealthy.

Last edited:
Associate
Revenue Guidance: $18 Billion, actual earnings: $15.3 Billion.

Client Computing, that's Retail, Core series CPU's ecte... Down 25%
Data Centre and AI, down 18%.

Nancy Pelosi sells her shares in Apple and Nvidia, buys shares in Intel and comes to the rescue with $250 Billion of tax payers money bailout for Intel's foundry development. Nice, must be great to be privileged enough to use tax payers money to make yourself wealthy.
Intel is well known for 'oiling the wheels' in the WH. Lobbying is what I think that we call it. With falling sales the last thing they need is high costs, but hey money talks.
Will they be able to cut the price of next gen CPU's, I doubt it.

Caporegime
OP
Intel is well known for 'oiling the wheels' in the WH. Lobbying is what I think that we call it. With falling sales the last thing they need is high costs, but hey money talks.
Will they be able to cut the price of next gen CPU's, I doubt it.

Its one of the reasons they nark me a bit, Nvidia and AMD work hard to develop good products.

Intel know they have enough privilege to fail and then hold out their hand to tax payers who pay for more failures, doesn't matter how much they fail they can just keep withdrawing more money from the bank of tax payers, as an added bonus in that way cause inflation so those tax payers pay twice.

Its like the banks bailout in 2008, oh no we can't just let them fail from their own mistakes, we can't let darwinism take its course, no no make tax payers pay for their mistakes so they can use that money to pay themselves huge bonuses so they can go right back to buying yachts.
To this day we are still paying for all that crap, what the #### do you think inflation is? every £ that is printed to pay down a debt makes the £ in your pocket worth less, the more £ that are printed the less its worth, we have spent the last 15+ years endlessly printing money to bail out all sorts of crap that should be left to die and to pay for crap no one asked for let alone wants.

Associate
Its one of the reasons they nark me a bit, Nvidia and AMD work hard to develop good products.

Intel know they have enough privilege to fail and then hold out their hand to tax payers who pay for more failures, doesn't matter how much they fail they can just keep withdrawing more money from the bank of tax payers, as an added bonus in that way cause inflation so those tax payers pay twice.

Its like the banks bailout in 2008, oh no we can't just let them fail from their own mistakes, we can't let darwinism take its course, no no make tax payers pay for their mistakes so they can use that money to pay themselves huge bonuses so they can go right back to buying yachts.
To this day we are still paying for all that crap, what the #### do you think inflation is? every £ that is printed to pay down a debt makes the £ in your pocket worth less, the more £ that are printed the less its worth, we have spent the last 15+ years endlessly printing money to bail out all sorts of crap that should be left to die and to pay for crap no one asked for let alone wants.
Totally agree, nice to get that off your chest though :)

Back
Top Bottom