• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Soldato
OP
880sc at 5.5 would be a regression in ipc. Lets give it the benefit of doubt that bios and ucode isn’t mature yet.
Maybe the retail version will basically be just like a 12th gen Alder Lake in performance (same Golden Cove cores afterall), but simply clocked higher compared to the 12900K.

Soldato
OP
Tech question- In benchmarks and games, what what does does the cache ratio typically run at on the 12700K and 12900K, on stock settings? Just wondered, as this could be something Intel might try to ramp up, given the cache size increases for the 13th generation.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I still use a 10700k, I've been wanting to change my motherboard to be more compatible with iCUE, so I figure I might pick up one of the new CPUs and a new board.

Soldato
OP
Can't they ramp up the cache clock speeds as well? Surely that would help with some calculations and in many games.

It seems to be quite difficult to find any information about cache ratios of Intel CPUs.

It is something that can make a significant difference to game performance (0.1 and 1% Framerate lows), as shown in this video with an 8700K with CPU cores clocked at 5ghz:

Intel tends to ramp up the clock speed, as that is the thing that is well known and sells CPUs, but a CPU cache / Ring ratio of 5ghz could also help a lot. I think part of the difficulty is, a lot of boards don't seem to support higher cache ratios, my B560 board only supports upto 4.3ghz.

A cache ratio of 43x seems to be fairly common on Alder Lake CPUs, as discussed here:

Apparently you can overclock the Ring / cache ratio Alder Lake CPUs to ~5ghz, if you disable the E-Cores...

The effect of this could matter even more since they are increasing the cache sizes.

AMD could have a significant advantage, if the clockspeed and cache ratio of Zen 4 CPUs can exceed 5ghz.

Last edited:
Soldato

Intel 13th Gen Core “Raptor Lake-S” officially supports DDR-5600 and DDR4-3200 memory​

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-1...cially-supports-ddr-5600-and-ddr4-3200-memory

wOTFJ12.jpg

Best bang for buck = i5/i7 13th gen with cheap DDR4 (Can't see how Zen4 will get close to the price/performance here)
Flagship performance = i9, 24 core (8+16) with top end DDR5
Masterstroke by Intel IMO
Easy, drop AM4 prices and add a few new CPUs for the platform. Most people want bang for buck, you just need to get the pricing right ;)

Soldato
Easy, drop AM4 prices and add a few new CPUs for the platform. Most people want bang for buck, you just need to get the pricing right ;)

By your logic, go bang for buck and buy AM3 Bulldozer CPU's, great deals to be had :)

Don't think you're aware how much faster i5/i7 13th gen CPU's, even with cheap DDR4, are likely to be compared to AM4. Having DDR4 suport for brand new 13th gen is a fantastic move.

Soldato
Don't think you're aware how much faster i5/i7 13th gen CPU's, even with cheap DDR4, are likely to be compared to AM4. Having DDR4 suport for brand new 13th gen is a fantastic move.
No its not fantastic news. Its backwards thinking that is going to hold the market back, limit peak performance and keep DDR5 prices higher for longer. We would be better off if 13th gen didn't support DDR4 then DDR5 would drop in price as its mass produced more meaning we would all end up with better price/performance sooner. DDR4 is a big part of way so many people skipped 12th gen and if DDR4 is a big part of 13th gen many of us are going to skip 13th gen as well. Which only hurts Intel.

Soldato
Don't think you're aware how much faster i5/i7 13th gen CPU's, even with cheap DDR4, are likely to be compared to AM4
Funny, I don't think you're aware of this fact either, in that 13th Gen isn't going to be much faster than 12th Gen. ST will get a fractional bump, MT will only see a bump for the SKUs which increase the E cores. So yes, 13th gen will be faster than pretty much everything on AM4, but only to the same degree as 12th gen currently is.

Still, don't know why you're harping on about AM4 comparisons. Afraid AM5 is going to slap Intel round the chops again so you're getting your troll fud in early?

Soldato
What is actually nonsense is the fact they've omitted PCI-E 5.0 M.2 support from the CPU. So if you want that then you'll need to sacrifice 8x of the 16x 5.0 slot and run the GPU at 8x, be that 5.0 or 4.0.

Quite why they chose to do this is beyond me, seems like they don't want to compete with AMD on the I/O front, but then they haven't been doing that since 2017 really.

Soldato
OP
Some things we need to know:
  • Will the IMC (memory controller) support decent DDR5 frequencies at 1:1 gear ratio?
  • What will the cache ratios / frequencies be at stock turbo settings
Both could have a significant impact on game performance.

Man of Honour
What is actually nonsense is the fact they've omitted PCI-E 5.0 M.2 support from the CPU. So if you want that then you'll need to sacrifice 8x of the 16x 5.0 slot and run the GPU at 8x, be that 5.0 or 4.0.

Quite why they chose to do this is beyond me, seems like they don't want to compete with AMD on the I/O front, but then they haven't been doing that since 2017 really.

It might be to maintain maximum compatibility with 12th gen boards, since they're basically the same CPUs.

Man of Honour
They could just have it detect 4.0 in the BIOS based on the board, so not really a good excuse, more likely a cost saving measure.

My thoughts are since their primary market is OEMs and Intel hate in-socket upgrades, that they do things like this to minimise the need for additional testing/QA, so they'll add new features to kaby lake-alikes very grudgingly.

Back
Top Bottom