What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Yesterday I set up my XP rig! It must have been a good couple of years since I last tried! I am well happy it worked and had an enjoyable afternoon spent playing Papyrus Nascar 3, No One Lives Forever and Digital Integration Tornado. So nice to be able to install a game from a disk and it just works.
Cool looking white setup you got here Ninco and I knew I had one of those old games you mention somewhere here... yep found it! :D
Here are 2 flight sims from the DOS days!
PCCDMix7-0.jpg

PCCDMix7-1.jpg

PCCDMix7-3.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Yea its a voodoo 3 3000.
Not a bad lot really, that baby AT case is beautiful.
I took advantage of the post and of the fact that I was in Manchester for a few days and I sent an offer of 110£. The guy accepted it, so I had to pay for it. I've been yesterday to collect all the stuff, I filled the whole boot. I just got home and had a look into the cases. Pentium 100 with a Cirrus Logic and ALS 200 sound card, Unika case has a Celeron at 2ghz with no other cards and the Dell has a 2.8 Ghz P4 with just a firewire card in it. I'll test all of them tomorrow, including the Voodoo 3. I hope the Voodoo 3 will work.
The guy was moving houses and he wanted to get rid of all the stuff he found in the loft, he couldn't believe only the Voodoo 3 can fetch up to 100£. He was starting to feel sorry, but the stuff was already in the boot :D
I think I will keep the two beige cases, especially if I can make the LCD frequency display to work, not sure about the Dell unit as it doesn't have an AGP port, but everything else will have to go, probably to a recycling centre. If you will need anything from that lot, let me know, I can post it if you only pay for the postage. There's 4 LCD monitors, he said all work. I will go through the lot tomorrow and test everything. :)

Don
I took advantage of the post and of the fact that I was in Manchester for a few days and I sent an offer of 110£. The guy accepted it, so I had to pay for it. I've been yesterday to collect all the stuff, I filled the whole boot. I just got home and had a look into the cases. Pentium 100 with a Cirrus Logic and ALS 200 sound card, Unika case has a Celeron at 2ghz with no other cards and the Dell has a 2.8 Ghz P4 with just a firewire card in it. I'll test all of them tomorrow, including the Voodoo 3. I hope the Voodoo 3 will work.
The guy was moving houses and he wanted to get rid of all the stuff he found in the loft, he couldn't believe only the Voodoo 3 can fetch up to 100£. He was starting to feel sorry, but the stuff was already in the boot :D
I think I will keep the two beige cases, especially if I can make the LCD frequency display to work, not sure about the Dell unit as it doesn't have an AGP port, but everything else will have to go, probably to a recycling centre. If you will need anything from that lot, let me know, I can post it if you only pay for the postage. There's 4 LCD monitors, he said all work. I will go through the lot tomorrow and test everything. :)
Glad someone from here picked it up - bit far for me otherwise I would definitely have been tempted. Like you say a working V3 is almost worth the money paid for the whole lot.

Interested to see a proper photo of that Matrox card (and indeed of anything else) , because again if it is a G400 Max it might be worth a few quid.

Soldato
great haul!
If anything dont throw the compaq LCD :p

Hope the V3 works

Associate
great haul!
If anything dont throw the compaq LCD :p

Hope the V3 works
The Voodoo 3 works, it has the letter "G" at the end, I guess it's because of the TV-out?
One of the cases proved to be even more exciting, it has a frequency display that you can set through the reset button, keep pressing it until you reach the frequency desired. It goes up to 999. I already ordered an AT socket 370 motherboard :D
Yesterday I took a trip down south to an old acquaintance and managed to get a few cards and CPU's, including a rebranded Sound Blaster 2.0, a SB 16 and a SB AWE64, as well as a Pentium 60 brand new.

Soldato
Thats a hell of a haul!
I had a tough time testing my sb16 but eventually got it working just fine. Its my motherboard being picky again I think. Its in desperate need of reflowing so I've ordered some flux so I can give it a go.(Known good VGA cards being fussy, randomly not booting with repeating beeps and clicks from floppy drive, other soundcard not detecting easily too)
So I just picked this up as it is very cheap for a well featured 486 board and potentially a good replacement although I have not heard of the brand before but there seems to be enough silkscreen with the jumper info to get it going.

Soldato
Weird that I've never heard of QuickShot sound cards before but now I've seen 3 in about two weeks including mine... (Unless you also posted it in one of the Facebook groups!)

Also what is that PCI-e GPU? The bridge chip makes me think it's very early? The 6 series I think we're native PCIE and had bridges for the AGP version?

Associate
Thats a hell of a haul!
I had a tough time testing my sb16 but eventually got it working just fine. Its my motherboard being picky again I think. Its in desperate need of reflowing so I've ordered some flux so I can give it a go.(Known good VGA cards being fussy, randomly not booting with repeating beeps and clicks from floppy drive, other soundcard not detecting easily too)
So I just picked this up as it is very cheap for a well featured 486 board and potentially a good replacement although I have not heard of the brand before but there seems to be enough silkscreen with the jumper info to get it going.

That's my favourite seller on Ebay and I used to be his favourite buyer for a while :D:D I went to his house recently to replace a socket 7 motherboard. Very nice guy.
Weird that I've never heard of QuickShot sound cards before but now I've seen 3 in about two weeks including mine... (Unless you also posted it in one of the Facebook groups!)

Also what is that PCI-e GPU? The bridge chip makes me think it's very early? The 6 series I think we're native PCIE and had bridges for the AGP version?
I did post on the FB group, I wasn't sure 100% what card it is :)
The PCI-E is an FX 5200, I was hoping for something better, but it's ok. I guess the chip was an AGP variant, so they used that bridge for PCI-E.
I forgot to add in the picture a Geforce 2 Ti from ASUS that I got with the lot too.
I'm waiting now for him to post the 486 overdrive CPU with the original box that I forgot at his house...:rolleyes: He said he's got over 30 PC units in the loft, I'm curious what's in them.
Except for the AWE 64, most of the cards will go on ebay as auctions if I have the time to test them properly. I'm not a fan of MS-DOS OS, too much hassle with commands :D:rolleyes:

Soldato
That's my favourite seller on Ebay and I used to be his favourite buyer for a while :D:D I went to his house recently to replace a socket 7 motherboard. Very nice guy.

I did post on the FB group, I wasn't sure 100% what card it is :)
The PCI-E is an FX 5200, I was hoping for something better, but it's ok. I guess the chip was an AGP variant, so they used that bridge for PCI-E.
I forgot to add in the picture a Geforce 2 Ti from ASUS that I got with the lot too.
I'm waiting now for him to post the 486 overdrive CPU with the original box that I forgot at his house...:rolleyes: He said he's got over 30 PC units in the loft, I'm curious what's in them.
Except for the AWE 64, most of the cards will go on ebay as auctions if I have the time to test them properly. I'm not a fan of MS-DOS OS, too much hassle with commands :D:rolleyes:
I’ve had a fair few parts from him too. Managed to fix the last 2 boards I had that were listed as spares :)

Not sure why he listed that board so cheap. Usually his PCI socket 3 boards start at 69.99.

Associate
I've seen that seller, and i look at some of the stuff he is selling and think, it looks like rusty trash. Never bought anything from him before though so can only go off the pics on ebay. I guess if your in a position to fix the items thats a plus, but even then the price of his for part/repairable are kinda steep in my opinion.

Soldato
I've seen that seller, and i look at some of the stuff he is selling and think, it looks like rusty trash. Never bought anything from him before though so can only go off the pics on ebay. I guess if your in a position to fix the items thats a plus, but even then the price of his for part/repairable are kinda steep in my opinion.
He does seem to charge top prices but does accept best offers too. I think a few of us have got bits from him. There is also a lot of overpriced crap in the store too!

Associate
He does seem to charge top prices but does accept best offers too. I think a few of us have got bits from him. There is also a lot of overpriced crap in the store too!
Sometimes he doesn't price the parts accordingly, he doesn't know what that part actually is, I managed to get a few parts this way for a very good price. Recently he stopped accepting 20-30% less best offers and only gives like 1£ discount lol.

Associate
Haven't picked up any retro gear for a good bit now. I did spot a Yamaha Card with both the OPL3 and OPL4 chip onboard and it was a nice price so I grabbed it.

mNI0yibl.jpg

I've been after a Audio Interface for a while now. I managed to Grab this Roland UA-25 USB interface. It works with Win 10, captures audio both over analogue on Digital TOSLink and also has midi in/out. Works brilliantly. Allows me to capture clean OPL3 digitally from the AWE32.

A7HPSIGl.jpg

Soldato
Still some nice pickups there mate!
I just spent well over an hour on my 486 after loading up TTD to test my theory (That the CPU was overheating). Couldnt put the game down and my cheapo SB16 is working flawlessly.
It turns out that 133mhz 486s work better when cooled :p
Just took the mounting hook thing out of a socket 7 cooler and glued it to the cpu along with a bit of paste... Its on there solid!

Back
Top Bottom