The next Predator movie - Prey (2022 on Hulu)

Associate
Very good, far better than expected.

Some nice new Predator toys and liked how the suit reacted to the environment.. (mostly blood related).

Thought the Predators pure speed and climbing ability was very well done without looking overly Cgi.

The reload gag was excellent.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One of the better movies I've seen recently.

Certainly better than Dr. strange 2 or Thor: Love & Thunder anyway (my more recent cinema visits)

I'd put this above all of the other Predator movies, except the original Predator. This was weirdly believable and though it's not a complex story by any means, it was a good looking movie with decent enough CGI and excellent cinematography.

I enjoyed the swerve early on when she sinks in to the bog and gets covered in mud, making you think it'll go the same way as Arnie in Predator. The subtle introduction of what the drugs do to the body temperature was well done (no need to spell it out to the audience) and the main character working out how the laser guided bolts worked was good.

A few nods to the original such as "If it bleeds, we can kill it" and the 1715 equivalent of the soldiers firing in to the woods, albeit with muskets rather than automatic weapons :D

Last edited:
Permabanned

Thoroughly enjoyed that! The best since the first movie. I wasn't too sure about the predator design at first but it grew on me. His tech is so cool!!! Some great brutality and scenes. Top stuff.

Caporegime
Prey 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed that! The best since the first movie. I wasn't too sure about the predator design at first but it grew on me. His tech is so cool!!! Some great brutality and scenes. Top stuff.

The predator design bugged me big time, its like they took the main bad guy predator from the movie predators, made him a bit more fugly and stretched out the torso to put abs on it. The movie was good but not a fan of how the predator looked.

The tech was also a bit odd i thought, they have starships, cloaking devices, laser aiming systems, yet the shoulder cannon in this only fired small arrows? Didn't like the look of the helmet either for that matter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to this.

Hearing stuff like the trailers really did a disservice to the film and the main Character

Funny enough I have just watched AVP 1 & 2 and The Predator lol

Associate
Watched Prey last night, as others have said it’s a great film and really well done, just behind the original Predator. It will be interesting to hear if a sequel is given the go ahead and how the plot plays out.

Soldato
Did you guys watch the English speaking version or the Comanche dub with English subtitles, wondering what’s best.

You can get the Comanche dub version via extras on Disney +.

Soldato
Oh I get the drugs bit now. I thought the if it bleeds comment was in the original predator. I'm going with its a few hundred years before the original predator so I don't think it's unrealistic to have simpler tech.

Soldato
Solid 7/10 from me, it was better than expected.

My only gripe with it comes from previous films, the original films the predators ignored the female species as they were not considered a threat, surely after getting his backside beat by a women, future predators wouldn't ignore them as they are clearly capable of kicking butt. Or is it a case that because he was snuffed, the threat that women pose was never known

Associate
Did you guys watch the English speaking version or the Comanche dub with English subtitles, wondering what’s best.

You can get the Comanche dub version via extras on Disney +.
Was it filmed with spoken Commanche though, if its just dubbed on afterwards then I probably would skip it.

I cant think of any foreign film / tv series where the English language dub has worked, the lip sync is always off putting and obvious and often the emotion in the voice seems out.

Maybe if the original actors have recorded the Commanche dub it will work better, but for me the lip sync would still be a problem. Generally am quite sensitive to it and can sit fiddling for ages with the sync in Kodi etc even if its slightly off.

** Edit .. If it had been filmed in Commanche, that would have been great and the preferred way to watch , but after googling .. unfortunately not.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was it filmed with spoken Commanche though, if its just dubbed on afterwards then I probably would skip it.

I cant think of any foreign film / tv series where the English language dub has worked, the lip sync is always off putting and obvious and often the emotion in the voice seems out.

Maybe if the original actors have recorded the Commanche dub it will work better, but for me the lip sync would still be a problem. Generally am quite sensitive to it and can sit fiddling for ages with the sync in Kodi etc even if its slightly off.

** Edit .. If it had been filmed in Commanche, that would have been great and the preferred way to watch , but after googling .. unfortunately not.
Damn didn’t know as I was exhausted after work. I watched the English version but it always felt off. Rewatch in Comanche tonight then!

Yeah it's a Comanche dub, it was filmed in english which is a shame. I will likely just watch the English version.

Not seen it in ages but I think the movie Apocalypto was filmed in Comanche, shame they didn't do it with this.

Soldato
OP
The tech was also a bit odd i thought, they have starships, cloaking devices, laser aiming systems, yet the shoulder cannon in this only fired small arrows? Didn't like the look of the helmet either for that matter.

As a few others mentioned, I've taken this line of thinking - this is the Predator 300 years before the OG Arnie one so the tech is older and, in that 300 year gap, they've improved the lethality of weapons, tech etc. The Bone helmet is an interesting choice but we see it bounce an old musket/pistol ball so it's effective, if a little odd looking.

Hearing stuff like the trailers really did a disservice to the film and the main Character

I'd agree with that, I'd made several complaints about what was seen in the trailers not making sense to Predator Lore etc and yet in the film these scenes had lots more context added so they made actual sense. I can't imagine the director would have been overly happy with those trailers.

Back
Top Bottom