Alex Jones..

Soldato
Raymond Lin: I don't know much if anything about the US justice system, but are you sure a jury gets to set a fine level or indeed any kind of punitive action? I would have thought their sole job was deciding if the plaintive is innocent or guilty of whatever charge?

He was already found guilty by default as apparently he didn't hand in documents during the discovery phase, something he disputes. No expert myself but it seems the jury do indeed decide the fine amounts up to the recommended amount asked of by the prosecutors.

Caporegime
The Plaintiff is suing for an amount, in this case $150mil.
The Jury decide on the amount he deserves to get punished for.
Texas law however has a cap on it being double the Compensatory damage.

This will get appealed to the Texas Supreme court, in reality i highly doubt he will pay this $45m punitive, it will be knocked down but right now, the big number makes nice headlines and sends a message.

Soldato
He is worth about $300m, $45m seems reasonable, given that he made a chunk purely from denying the sandyhook shooting.

He is clearly a smart man, he takes advantage of his mentally challenged audience, kudos to him.

Just because you are comfortable with lies does not make you smart :p

Have you been asleep for the last 6 years?

Soldato
To be fair, most of the Christians I know are genuinely decent, kind people.

Jones and his ilk are just worthless scumbags, regardless of their claimed allegiance.

You shall know them by their deeds, and all that.

A lot of American Christians are more akin to the Taliban than they like to admit though.

Soldato
A lot of American Christians are more akin to the Taliban than they like to admit though.

The problem is the definition of a Christian, anybody can claim to be a Christian but the Bible has many verses dealing with this such as Isaiah 29:13

13 And the Lord said:
“Because this people draw near with their mouth
and honor me with their lips,
while their hearts are far from me,
and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men,

Soldato
was'nt he getting like 800k a week in profits? if so, if he's been
putting some away should'nt be any issue for him.

"the water in texyorksnia is deficiant in ZD1-29. buy my now on
offer 5 for 1 only $49.99 per 2 pills, something like that. that was
the whole fear scam i guess.

i do find him entertaining though, his side or other side, it's all
nonsense.

Caporegime
It isn't really reasonable at all, it's a ridiculous sum of money but he's likely not paying that amount anyway, he played silly games with his defence and had that comical fail by his lawyers sending the contents of his phone... it seems like some of what he said could have been defended under 1st amendment:

I presume he's going to appeal the punitive damages or there is the possible cap mentioned earlier? Still having to pay out millions in compensation is going to sting regardless.

Soldato
The jury, unanimous.

So people like you and I, think it’s fair that is the amount that he should be punished with.

This has taken place in Texas too, Republican country.
50milllion seems stupid. I think the guy is a toad and am glad they threw the book at him but it's stupid. what is the point in forcing him to try and bancript himself and ultimately never pay it. better to fine an amount which will hurt him, but he can pay, and will still be a significant amount for the victims.then on top cover legal costs for all parties and the. maybe 200 (or what ever) hrs of community service.

Caporegime
50milllion seems stupid. I think the guy is a toad and am glad they threw the book at him but it's stupid. what is the point in forcing him to try and bancript himself and ultimately never pay it. better to fine an amount which will hurt him, but he can pay, and will still be a significant amount for the victims.then on top cover legal costs for all parties and the. maybe 200 (or what ever) hrs of community service.

Which I guess why Texas has a cap?

But it will get appealed, then a judge will decide ultimately, which strikes a balance between what people want and what the law thinks is fair.

Caporegime
was'nt he getting like 800k a week in profits? if so, if he's been
putting some away should'nt be any issue for him.

"the water in texyorksnia is deficiant in ZD1-29. buy my now on
offer 5 for 1 only $49.99 per 2 pills, something like that. that was
the whole fear scam i guess.

i do find him entertaining though, his side or other side, it's all
nonsense.
The 'other side' happened to be grieving parents who he described as liars.

Caporegime
better to fine an amount which will hurt him, but he can pay, and will still be a significant amount for the victims.then on top cover legal costs for all parties and the. maybe 200 (or what ever) hrs of community service.

I agree in general - where has the community service bit come from though - is that related to his apparent perjury in court (which would seem to be a slam dunk given the comical incident with the phone)?

Soldato
I agree in general - where has the community service bit come from though - is that related to his apparent perjury in court (which would seem to be a slam dunk given the comical incident with the phone)?
precisely. I am no legal nut so happy to be corrected but to me community service seems a suitable punishment for perjury. I mean they could lock him up I suppose but community service just seems more useful to me and maybe if the man has even a bone of decency in him may be more likely to make him reflect.

Soldato

Because he's made his money from being an abhorrent POS. As long as the awarded financial punishment means that whatever he has goes to the victims, then great, ok it may not be the total amount, but it serves a warning, he loses his ill gotten gains and his victims benefit as much as possible.

Caporegime
His Net worth is reportedly up to $270 million.

• Mr. Pettingill estimated that the net worth of Mr. Jones and Free Speech Systems, the parent company of Infowars, was between $135 million to $270 million. At one point, Mr. Jones was paying himself an average of $6 million a year, Mr. Pettingill said.

He can still afford the fine!

Back
Top Bottom