• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
I'm scouring fleabay for pre 4090 launch sale adverts and im surprised i don't see any at all. Remember last year a day before 3080's launched, adverts were popping up all over for around £1k?

Soldato
The problem its ominous when a 104 series die which is barely 300MM2 is going for over £900. It was bad enough when the 104 series dies became a 80 series dGPU,but now they are selling for 80TI/90 series type money. The RTX4080 12GB has under half the CUDA cores of the RTX4090. An RTX4070 is most likely going to be a 10GB card with a £700+ price.

The next 60 series dGPU will have a die probably close to 200MM2,probably only 8GB of VRAM,and be well over £500 which is insanity. If AMD does not have something that is better value for money under £1000,I really don't know how these prices will be maintained with Europe entering a severe recession(due to lack of energy) and a global recession because of rising commodity prices,and higher and higher interest rates.
I mean best thing we can hope for is these companies price themselves into bankruptcy :cry:

Caporegime
I mean best thing we can hope for is these companies price themselves into bankruptcy :cry:

d543586fab2d345bba68d5bdd7524ea05f426fe70fa2bc0eb258a17c035cfcc7.gif

Associate
No it isn't. Just look at this chart:

performance-per-dollar_3840-2160.png

Now consider they are pushing up the price of the 104 series die to $900. Now,look at the specifications - this is another Turing level stealth price increase.

Nvidia has lots of Ampere based dGPUs and does not want to discount any of them. If people keep buying these new dGPUs at the overinflated pricing it will stick....during a global recession.

Now think where the "RTX4060" will lie - it will be literally a tiny 40/50 series die at nonsensical pricing.
No one cares about price per performance !

Associate
Der8auer showing power draw less than 3090ti in games.
And that's not the best part. The most interesting part is talking about power efficiency peaking at 60%. For 33%+ less power use (that's 300W TDP!) one would lose only 5% (sic!) performance! That suggest they pushed this card into hardcore OC region for some unknown reason - do they know something we do not? It could've been half the size of the cooler, cheaper, etc. if they didn't push it to the very limit.

Soldato
The problem its ominous when a 104 series die which is barely 300MM2 is going for over £900. It was bad enough when the 104 series dies became a 80 series dGPU,but now they are selling for 80TI/90 series type money. The RTX4080 12GB has under half the CUDA cores of the RTX4090. An RTX4070 is most likely going to be a 10GB card with a £700+ price.

The next 60 series dGPU will have a die probably close to 200MM2,probably only 8GB of VRAM,and be well over £500 which is insanity. There is going to be a severe performance stagnation(outside RT benchmarks) I suspect. If AMD does not have something that is better value for money under £1000,I really don't know how these prices will be maintained with Europe entering a severe recession(due to lack of energy) and a global recession because of rising commodity prices,and higher and higher interest rates.
4080s will not sell. 3080+ is a much better value proposition, theres so many around and 4080s will look terrible in comparison. Everyone who could have theoretically afforded it will go for the 4090 instead. The number of buyers at this price range without mining is a relatively small pool. You will see both 4080s dive in price in the space of months. Buying one is, in effect, equivalent to chucking money away.

Associate
Really nice performance leap. But those pandemic prices have dulled my interest in top end gaming for good I think. €2000+ flagship, my go to xx80 class €1500, xx70 reference above €1000. Pure extortion. Not to mention game wise, very little in the pipe over the next 12 mths that grabs me. Will truck on with my launch MSRP 3080. No bother dropping DLSS down a step and moving from Ultra to High when needed. Nvidia might be in for a shock when these are left on the shelf.

Sad though. First time I'll miss a top end card since 6800 Ultra.

Soldato

They have gotten greedy because they have tried to indicate to investors,that the one off pandemic spending boom and mining,are repeatable. Lots of people were trapped at home,many got stimulus money,etc so spent their money on new PCs. Lots of people brought forward new PC purchases due to work from home and so did companies. Now the world is opening up,people are spending the money on actually going out and don't need a new PC. That is on top of the economic problems.

Another issue is PC gaming revenue is also declining. Not only as more people go out(instead of game),there has been a clamp down on gaming in the Chinese market,Russia is now out and Europe is going to have a rocky immediate future.

So as their shares tank,they are desperately trying to prop up margins for their shareholders. Just look at the AMD and Intel financial results so far.

Associate
I'm scouring fleabay for pre 4090 launch sale adverts and im surprised i don't see any at all. Remember last year a day before 3080's launched, adverts were popping up all over for around £1k?
Like the 7000 launches, I doubt these are going to fly off the shelves. This is a niche product for 4K gamers on PC, and for people who need one for work. Looked at the AMD 7000 series CPU's on OCUK store yesterday, all appeared to be in stock...5000 series flew off the shelves, for some months. I assume AMD will also make the mistake of pricing their new GPUs into the stratosphere. AMD and NVIDIA are both in for a shock, no mining to sell off to on the side this time.

I look forward to hearing on the sales figures for RTX 4000 SERIES.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've seen enough. If we can get these for £1679 we should be buying them. Anything north of £1800 can sit on the shelf and rot. The FE is worth more than any of the AIB cards based on temps and 616W which no one wants to run at on even the costliest AIB.

Last edited:
Associate
Nobody can say for certain till tomorrow's reviews
And why would one do that? Debauer shown efficiency graphs and there is almost a flat line above 350W up to 450W. This card is already pushed way too hard by the looks of it, with power use, which give only about 5% performance uplift above 300W-330W. Pushing it to 600W would likely achieve absolutely nothing aside just increasing your electricity bill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom