• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
Corsair RM850X but it was literally installing the drivers after getting into windows. I can't imagine it draws over 350w which my old 3080 did when gaming.
I've got the rm750x I've got one of them plugs at the wall. With my ichill 4090 and a 5ghz 12700k it pulls 680w stress testing. Tweaking the 4090 to 950mv now uses about 80 Watts less sitting at about 600 with only a 3% drop in performance.

I purchased a brand new 1000w PSU to install with the new card and ended up sending it back.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the rm750x I've got one of them plugs at the wall. With my ichill 4090 and a 5ghz 12700k it pulls 680w stress testing. Tweaking the 4090 to 950mv now uses about 80 Watts less sitting at about 600 with only a 3% drop in performance.

I purchased a brand new 1000w PSU to install with the new card and ended up sending it back.

House and content insurance up to date ? Smoke alarms working with new batteries ? Important data backed up from that fire hazard ?

Because I'm not sure that was very sensible .. 750w psu running all that... want to see fireworks? Run furmark and cinebench at the same time and have one of these ready...

zIU1sKD.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
House and content insurance up to date ? Smoke alarms working with new batteries ? Important data backed up from that fire hazard ?

Because I'm not sure that was very sensible .. 750w psu running all that... want to see fireworks? Run furmark and cinebench at the same time and have one of these ready...

zIU1sKD.jpg
Challenge accepted

Pulled 715w max running at the same time.

Btw yes house insurance all in place.

In all seriousness I mainly use the pc for msfs in vr I've been monitoring typical power consumption when using it and it doesn't tip over 550w.

I think you're being a little dramatic with the fire extinguisher, but I do have one in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Associate

A PSU that is designed correctly won't explode or catch fire if overloaded, it will just shut off.

Last edited:
Soldato
A PSU that is designed correctly won't explode or catch fire if overloaded, it will just shut off.

I know this but doesn't mean you don't get a bad one that doesn't cause some issues and takes out your components or worse, just look up the thread @Colonel_Klinck used RM850w and a 4090 and today has managed to kill his pc, we don't know yet if psu or the motherboard but we will know next few days. Not worth the risk in my book so close to the limits of that PSU and he's under clocked the gpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
Challenge accepted

Pulled 715w max running at the same time.

Btw yes house insurance all in place.

In all seriousness I mainly use the pc for msfs in vr I've been monitoring typical power consumption when using it and it doesn't tip over 550w.

I think you're being a little dramatic with the fire extinguisher, but I do have one in the kitchen.

Right on the limit as you know, so step with care when you update drivers and you loose the under clock on the gpu and run something that may take it past what the psu is happy with. Also a hard system lock for any reason may send everything to full power use and take out your psu and other components. Honestly not worth the risk being that close but as long as you understand that and if the GPU has a quiet bios switch maybe worth switching to that if it is set to performance as another way to make sure it doesn't use more power by accident.

Also furmark is recognised as a power virus by the Nvidia drivers ;) so will never fully stress a gpu now and max out its power use in a none safe manner, that's why I asked you to test with it and cinebench because was a pretty safe test and chances are it would have just gracefully shut down. Just remember some software can push the gpu to silly power use and the nvidia drivers don't recognise it as a power virus.

Not dramatic when it comes to peoples safety ;) was making sure you understood the risks if the worst happened and I'm sure you know it has happened and even these very forums have many examples of pcs catching fire.

Last edited:
Soldato
12700k oc and the 4090 been fine with my RM850X, run it at 80% PL tbh but have also benched it a bit at +133 PL (600W) and had no issues :)

^.... you have been a fire risk since you have been on these forums, but made of asbestos so not worried about you :p (I know you know what you are doing, just worried about new people to the pc hobby that don't understand how important a good psu is and right wattage to use)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
^.... you have been a fire risk since you have been on these forums, but made of asbestos so not worried about you :p (I know you know what you are doing, just worried about new people to the pc hobby that don't understand how important a good psu is and right wattage to use)

Its ok just turn down a setting or two! ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Right on the limit as you know, so step with care when you update drivers and you loose the under clock on the gpu and run something that may take it past what the psu is happy with. Also a hard system lock for any reason may send everything to full power use and take out your psu and other components. Honestly not worth the risk being that close but as long as you understand that and if the GPU has a quiet bios switch maybe worth switching to that if it is set to performance as another way to make sure it doesn't use more power by accident.

Also furmark is recognised as a power virus by the Nvidia drivers ;) so will never fully stress a gpu now and max out its power use in a none safe manner, that's why I asked you to test with it and cinebench because was a pretty safe test and chances are it would have just gracefully shut down. Just remember some software can push the gpu to silly power use and the nvidia drivers don't recognise it as a power virus.

Not dramatic when it comes to peoples safety ;) was making sure you understood the risks if the worst happened and I'm sure you know it has happened and even these very forums have many examples of pcs catching fire.
Appreciate the concern, I did test it without any adjustment on the GPU and it ran within limits anyway when my cpu had an overclock. That's when I sent the other PSU back. I'll keep an eye on it though.

In preparation for the last mess which was the 3000 launch which I missed out on I had so many tabs open I manage to nab two 4090s. The ichill and the Asus tuf oc. I think had I of kept the tuf oc with the 1000w limit I would have definitely needed a bigger PSU but kept the ichill it was 300 cheaper and saved a 150 on the PSU upgrade. I sent the tuf back.

So far MSFS with my 4090 in vr with my g2 has been fantastic, I can now double openxr to 200% and it's clearer and smoother than it ever was with my 3080ti. Very happy with the upgrade and actually only using about 50w more than the 3080ti was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom