• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Then why have various YouTube channels been stripping and rebuilding cards and not hitting any issues and not mentioning it at all?
Time may tell, the main benefit of this PCM TIM is it lasts a long time and doesn't pump out or bake like some pastes do in time under high heat from the components being cooled or the many thermal cycles. So other pastes being used maybe fine for a few months but in time may show worse temps as they are slowly getting pumped out or baked to death under the high temps, where the PCM TIM can take really high temps and doesn't pump out easily. Read the specs of the PTM7000

It's classed as a highly reliable thin bondline TIM, so guessing why Nvidia wants to use it as saves on RMAS when other TIM bakes or pumps out during warranty period ;) . I think it's more to do with long term use and high thermal cycles that something like a GPU will do.

The info is there now so if people see problems then they know what the official TIM that was used when they got their cards.

Last edited:
Associate
That's because even though it's called the Dynamic XL it's still the same narrow width channel because the PSU is hidden to the right, I know I've got the XL and even though I didn't know the sizes of the GPUs at the time of purchase I'm glad I got the Inno3d now because I've managed to fit mine in my XL with the glass panel closed also, Albeit just

Soldato
Because its a load of BS :) AIBs are not using PCM

You work for the AIBS ? and know this for a fact ? Or because it's grey TIM you think it's all the same ? As has been proven by that video it is not normal TIM and a PCM TIM on the 4090FE. Even I didn't know that until he said what it was and knew PTM7000 as we have the stuff at work for our servers. Otherwise I would not had an idea what they used and thought it was normal stock grey TIM. Even Steve at GN didn't know and thought it was normal TIM.

Last edited:
Associate
yea what a silly design
I agree and kinda wished I didn't get this case now, Calling a case an XL and it's the narrowest case I've ever owned not to mention imho I don't know how it got such good reviews for build quality because imo it's not the best build quality at all, It's flimsy panels that rattle like a rattle snake no matter which panel you tap and it cost me over £200 notes.

Lesson learned don't listen to tech YouTuber reviewers anymore.

My first and last Lian LI case.

Oh did I mention how easy the cheap plastic clips holding the bottom fan tray break? Yes I broke mine without any effort, Junk just junk I hate this case and probably my worst PC purchase.

If we had a mini earthquake I fear this case will fall apart lol

Associate
i agreed,for the first o11d for top cover was vibrating and rattle with high performing fans,glass was ok for me,but for evo side glass is so bad implemented i cant gpu fan ramp up as i want to 70% because its start to rattle right away,im limited to 59% and bottom bracket is so tiny and not spacious with 1400mm fans its so tight to the motherboard space,so as i see only 4090 which is 140mm wide is gaming x trio all other are minimum 149 (strix) and up to max 150.2

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys so I just installed the 4080FE and halfway though updating the drivers the PC shut down and now won't even considering booting. There is power to the MB, light is on, ethernet port flashing. I've taken the 4080 out, reset cmos and still nothing. I can't believe it tripped or blew the PSU installing new drivers, if it had I wouldn't have expected to see any lights on the MB and its been running a 3080 just fine and that draws 350w gaming. I'm out of ideas.

Gigabyte Z490 Master
Corsair RM850X

Soldato
So the power cable positioning is a bit rubbish. Hopefully they will make longer ones so you can hide the connectors at some point.

PXL-20221015-133952720.jpg

Soldato
Guys so I just installed the 4080FE and halfway though updating the drivers the PC shut down and now won't even considering booting. There is power to the MB, light is on, ethernet port flashing. I've taken the 4080 out, reset cmos and still nothing. I can't believe it tripped or blew the PSU installing new drivers, if it had I wouldn't have expected to see any lights on the MB and its been running a 3080 just fine and that draws 350w gaming. I'm out of ideas.

Gigabyte Z490 Master
Corsair RM850X

Flip the switch at the back to off on the PSU before you unplug the psu from the wall wait a minute plug it back in and flip the switch at the back to on, use the IGP on the cpu for video without the 4090 in to see if anything comes up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been having anywhere between a lovely and a worrying time. Most games on steam been running amazing but ubisoft games required me to have to fiddle with per core tuning on ryzen 5900x to get more out of it and not hit CPU limits. I thought RDR2 was giving me problems until i realised it didn't work with RTSS on at boot. Having hard rebooted loads trying to run it I corrupted a driver file and just assumed my card was duff then cleaned and reinstalled with DDU and have not had anything crash since. I'm wary though as I don't 100% trust my 4090 yet. I accidentally ordered 2 of them (1 from box) and I returned that one to them unopened as the zotac here was the one I want and I hate scalpers so hope someone desperate gets that one. It's only money. (essentially both sites died as my payment went through) voila the next day 2 cards turned up and i was like huh?

Anyone one else had that brick yourself slow dread of thinking you have a bad card?

Last edited:
Soldato
Flip the switch at the back to off on the PSU before you unplug the psu from the wall wait a minute plug it back in and flip the switch at the back to on, use the IGP on the cpu for video without the 4090 in to see if anything comes up.

It won't even attempt to spin up. Push the power button and it just does nothing.

So I just unplugged CPU power cables and used a jumper on the 24 pin that tricks PSU into spinning up and it did and radiator fans turned on. So I don't think its the PSU. FFS I'll take the CPU out and see if I can get the MB to attempt a Q-Flash, if it won't then its likely the MB is dead. What the hell could have caused that?

Soldato
It won't even attempt to spin up. Push the power button and it just does nothing.

So I just unplugged CPU power cables and used a jumper on the 24 pin that tricks PSU into spinning up and it did and radiator fans turned on. So I don't think its the PSU. FFS I'll take the CPU out and see if I can get the MB to attempt a Q-Flash, if it won't then its likely the MB is dead. What the hell could have caused that?
What psu are you using? Sounds like your new gpu may have drawn too much power and tripped the psu? Possibly a power spike to kill the board if it is indeed the board.

Back
Top Bottom