• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
You've got 3090 SLI? :eek:

Yup.. it's been updated more since with larger 20TB drives and larger NVME drives but apart from that looks the same. Can see here :-

Associate
Yup.. it's been updated more since with larger 20TB drives and larger NVME drives but apart from that looks the same. Can see here :-

Awesome!
Do you use them for work?

Soldato
Awesome!
Do you use them for work?

Yes it's used for work and just over a dozen games take advantage of sli on 3090s/3090tis in NVLINK/SLI, I use it primarily as my work pc because I can pool the VRAM and cuda cores as I need 48GB of VRAM for many of my projects on it and then secondly as my MSFS 2020 rig too, other pc gaming I normally do on the HTPC as just more convenient and a gaming laptop when I can be bothered but even that laptop is really for work too as it has a 3080ti 16GB GPU in so useful to do some projects on that that don't need huge VRAM.

SLI 3090s for gaming is not really worth it for the dozen games that support it unless a game in there you really care about and I was hoping MSFS 2020 gets support in time for them, but so far not looking like it :rolleyes: and all previous MSFS had some support for dual gpus but this time not and DX12 is still in beta for it and hoping once they get out of beta and add sli support back in as DX12 should work for it without too many isssues but MSFS has so much old DX9 and DX11 code in it, it may never be 100% done and DX12 may remain in beta for its life till a new version comes out and by then gpus would have moved on so much that 3090s in sli wouldn't matter ..

Last edited:
Associate
This is why people shouldn't buy a 4090 if they don't have the latest CPU

Stock 9900k vs RTX4090

And this is at native 4k resolution and it's an absolute mess, lag spikes and stuttering everywhere - you can't play games like this it would feel horrible

i have a 4090 and a 7700K. i've ran several tests and i'm seeing that at high resolutions (i'm a vr gamer, sometimes i'm rendering 4K twice (per eye)) my cpu is typically utilized about half as much as my gpu when gaming. my gpu is usually at 100%, my cpu is 40-60%. no core is maxxing out. i've no problem buying a new pc/mobo combo but why should i when i'm apparently not cpu bottlenecked.

Soldato
i have a 4090 and a 7700K. i've ran several tests and i'm seeing that at high resolutions (i'm a vr gamer, sometimes i'm rendering 4K twice (per eye)) my cpu is typically utilized about half as much as my gpu when gaming. my gpu is usually at 100%, my cpu is 40-60%. no core is maxxing out. i've no problem buying a new pc/mobo combo but why should i when i'm apparently not cpu bottlenecked.

The problem will only show on games that heavily use a single thread or a few threads and pin them cores to 100% use, otherwise at high resolutions will not be a problem and VR I doubt people will see them getting cpu bound and only advantage of the new cpus then will be the higher ipc and clocks speeds to help utilize the 4090 more. If you are not seeing any issues and happy with it for the games you play then don't worry about it. There is always some bottleneck in every system depending on the software used and a fact of pcs. A balanced system is always the best way to go to reduce such issues or use high resolutions to put the strain on the gpu.

Soldato
Here in Australia, the retail stores haven't run out of stock. They *have* put a couple of hundred dollars on to the launch prices of the cards they have in stock though. Demand here is obviously good but not insanse.

The absolutely crazy thing is that there is no reason to pay those prices. There are lots of cards on the auction sites that are just a little over rrp. It's very obvious that the scalpers have a shortage of customers rather than cards, yet some fools are still paying way over the odds!!!

Soldato
well that's 8k, while we don't have much data on it cause no mainstream reviewers benchmark 8k yet but I don't think there will be a cpu bottleneck at 8k on the 4090

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like the overpriced x670e was stupidity...

Though perhaps the much higher nvme bandwidths could be put to good use in machine learning but doesn't look like we would be needing pcie5 slots for a long time

Soldato
This is why people shouldn't buy a 4090 if they don't have the latest CPU

Stock 9900k vs RTX4090

And this is at native 4k resolution and it's an absolute mess, lag spikes and stuttering everywhere - you can't play games like this it would feel horrible

I read one review that said this. That even the most powerful gaming CPU available right now was bottlenecking. That really the 4090 is for the next gen of CPU if you want the absolute best out of it.

Soldato
well that's 8k, while we don't have much data on it cause no mainstream reviewers benchmark 8k yet but I don't think there will be a cpu bottleneck at 8k on the 4090

It's not 8K at 2 x 4k. 8k is 4 x 4k.

EDIT: just saw he said 4k twice per eye so yes it will be 8K in the VR as how he has it setup.

But true 8k is 4 x 4k.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem will only show on games that heavily use a single thread or a few threads and pin them cores to 100% use, otherwise at high resolutions will not be a problem and VR I doubt people will see them getting cpu bound and only advantage of the new cpus then will be the higher ipc and clocks speeds to help utilize the 4090 more. If you are not seeing any issues and happy with it for the games you play then don't worry about it. There is always some bottleneck in every system depending on the software used and a fact of pcs. A balanced system is always the best way to go to reduce such issues or use high resolutions to put the strain on the gpu.

i'm still undecided on whether to upgrade it's just i'd be kicking myself if i spent x amount on cpu/mobo/ram and not see any real improvement! it's a difficult decision, as like u say, nobody does 8k benchmarks and i keep reading that the higher res you go the less the cpu matters as it has less to do.

Caporegime
I read one review that said this. That even the most powerful gaming CPU available right now was bottlenecking. That really the 4090 is for the next gen of CPU if you want the absolute best out of it.
Not at 4k and above resolutions... any Zen3 5800x (likely also 5600x) or Intel 12600 and above will power a 4090 without major bottlenecking. At 2k and below resolutions then sure you will get CPU bottlenecking, but buying a 4090 for those resolutions is just overkill.

Last edited:
Soldato
i'm still undecided on whether to upgrade it's just i'd be kicking myself if i spent x amount on cpu/mobo/ram and not see any real improvement! it's a difficult decision, as like u say, nobody does 8k benchmarks and i keep reading that the higher res you go the less the cpu matters as it has less to do.

Is your gpu at 100% 99% use ? if it is it will show zero improvement then as you are gpu bound. Also depends if the software used will use the gpu at 100% even in ideal situations some software will not pin the gpus no matter what you do because they have fps limits or other limits of the engine.

Last edited:
Associate
Is your gpu at 100% 99% use ? if it is it will show zero improvement then as you are gpu bound. Also depends if the software used will use the gpu at 100% even in ideal situations some software will not pin the gpus no matter what you do because they have fps limits or other limits of the engine.
yes 100% in all but 1 game i play regularly, assetto corsa which is a 2013 game. ok i think i will hold off on an upgrade, atleast for now, but i will carry on reading up on it. thanks.

Soldato
Buildzoid not that impressed with the Palit GameRock OC

No they are rubbish compared to the 3090's before. Using cheaper components and less of them. They are hoping people don't notice and living on the last successful card. They also have a fan issue this time too and heard they have been recalled and retailers sending them back to be fixed. Won't be touching them this generation. Sad because the 3090s were ace quality cards last time with best components and board designs. Even their shrouds were all metal and solid with zero sag.

This is why I wait for tear downs to see what companies are doing.

Associate
Probably a repost, but Cablemod have revealed their 90° connector for Lovelace. Still a while to go before general availability though.

Back
Top Bottom