• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Nothing per se mate, was just the worst of the 4090s I tried. Does not mean it was bad tbf, just had the worse temps, saggiest cooler, worst looking RGB and most importantly, the unusable RGB software for me when I had it. Tried clean Win 10/11 OS installs and it wouldn't work on either, plus it was stuck at 450W although the latter would have been changeable via a BIOS update which I was not aware of at the time. It only came with a 3x8pin too and the adapter mine had didn't click in properly. No issues with it burning up though luckily.

That's really odd because mine came with a 4x8pin. I turn RGB off so not a factor for me personally.
I'm still not sure if I'll keep it due to the whine but then it seems so common it will probably be a futile exercise trying to find one without. I also got it for a 'decent' price so a bit reluctant to return on that basis too.

Caporegime
That's really odd because mine came with a 4x8pin. I turn RGB off so not a factor for me personally.
I'm still not sure if I'll keep it due to the whine but then it seems so common it will probably be a futile exercise trying to find one without. I also got it for a 'decent' price so a bit reluctant to return on that basis too.
I think there's a new model of the Trio now, so I reckon they shipped the second one with the 4 pin and a higher default power limit. Mine was locked at 450W, even with the maximum power limit. I saw two different Trios listed on another UK retailer a while back.

Soldato
I think there's a new model of the Trio now, so I reckon they shipped the second one with the 4 pin and a higher default power limit. Mine was locked at 450W, even with the maximum power limit. I saw two different Trios listed on another UK retailer a while back.

I was talking about the Suprim X, now I'm confused as I thought you were too!

Caporegime
I was talking about the Suprim X, now I'm confused as I thought you were too!
No, the Surpim X was fine other than my sample was a dud and overheated. It was the Trio version of the 4090 I was talking about. I'd have taken another Suprim X at the time but they were not available and were £2.2K which was a bit steep to say the least.

Soldato
No, the Surpim X was fine other than my sample was a dud and overheated. It was the Trio version of the 4090 I was talking about. I'd have taken another Suprim X at the time but they were not available and were £2.2K which was a bit steep to say the least.

Ohhhhhhh ok. Yeah I paid £1830 so I was personally happy with that even though it's obviously a lot still. Cannot fault mine for cooling or fan noise, just that angry bee which I don't hear under normal use but it's still annoying me knowing it does it. Kind of got that itch to send back and try a different one, but then knowing my luck it will be worse or a different model will have annoying fan noise.

Caporegime
Ohhhhhhh ok. Yeah I paid £1830 so I was personally happy with that even though it's obviously a lot still. Cannot fault mine for cooling or fan noise, just that angry bee which I don't hear under normal use but it's still annoying me knowing it does it. Kind of got that itch to send back and try a different one, but then knowing my luck it will be worse or a different model will have annoying fan noise.
Yeah that's a better price. At this time they were between £2.2K and £2.4K at UK retailers which was daft. The GameRocks have a little bit of that noise too tbh, like a humming noise even with the fans at 30%.

Last edited:
Associate
What are the good alternatives for the Octopus adapter?

I bought the official Corsair cable (i've got a RM1000x) but my case is a Fractal Torrent so the PSU is at the top. The Corsair cable was only 70cm and whichever way I routed the cable it just felt was too tight and that it was putting too much pressure on the connector onto my 4090 FE.

I've seen the Cablemod configurator can let me customize to exactly the length I want but I'm not that bothered about fancy colours and wondered if there was other options out there.

Soldato
What are the good alternatives for the Octopus adapter?

I bought the official Corsair cable (i've got a RM1000x) but my case is a Fractal Torrent so the PSU is at the top. The Corsair cable was only 70cm and whichever way I routed the cable it just felt was too tight and that it was putting too much pressure on the connector onto my 4090 FE.

I've seen the Cablemod configurator can let me customize to exactly the length I want but I'm not that bothered about fancy colours and wondered if there was other options out there.
I used Moddiy.com for my cable. It's not arrived yet but I used them for a custom cable for my 3090 and couldn't fault it.

Associate
so I see there is a lot of 4090 stock now. Given a choice between GameRock and GameRock OC, I assume the non-OC is the same card, with the same 450W limit, but with a factory overclock?

funny that the 'cheaper' reference designs are reported as quiet, with little to no coil whine, whereas the overbuilt cards - e.g. TUF/Strix/Suprim mostly do...

Caporegime
Well, the Gigabyte 4090 is now installed and bloody hell it is quiet, noticeably more quiet than the Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC that it just replaced. All of a sudden my case fans are the loudest thing in my rig. :D

I could only attach 3x PCI-E (didn't have a 4th, sadly) and did a quick blast of 3DMARk Speed Run which scored 9850. It idles at 50c and I saw it go up to 60c but lets see how it copes with a run of Skyrim VR which I am about to fire up. No coil whine noticed so far but lets give it a few days to see what I notice when I get used to it.

Anyway woop woop, let the even better gaming times begin! :D

Associate
Well, the Gigabyte 4090 is now installed and bloody hell it is quiet, noticeably more quiet than the Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC that it just replaced. All of a sudden my case fans are the loudest thing in my rig. :D

I could only attach 3x PCI-E (didn't have a 4th, sadly) and did a quick blast of 3DMARk Speed Run which scored 9850. It idles at 50c and I saw it go up to 60c but lets see how it copes with a run of Skyrim VR which I am about to fire up. No coil whine noticed so far but lets give it a few days to see what I notice when I get used to it.

Same with my Gigabyte card, quiet, cool and no coil whine. One of the best cards of this generation i reckon, certainly from a value perspective!

Last edited:
Soldato

These 4090 cards are so quiet and so cool

Soldato
Same with my Gigabyte card, quiet, cool and no coil whine. One of the best cards of this generation i reckon, certainly from a value perspective!

Myself included, a lot of people with a gigabyte 4090 are saying they have little or no coil whine. Gigabyte stepped up its game this generation

Back
Top Bottom