Road Cycling

Soldato
I'd be tempted to start from fresh and give the tyres and rims a good cleanup.

If you do just top up then get some Stans sealing in a 2oz bottle. The end of the bottle can go into the valve core hole without you needing a syringe. You will also need a valve core remover too ofc.
Ended up with this on the back tire, went out and could feel the road more than usual.... sealant was up the back of the bike. Got a new tire fitted at the shop so they sorted the sealant as part of that. £8 i didn't think was to bad for labour and £49 for the tire, £4 for the sealant.

Soldato
Out at 7am today, 54 miles and back before midday to avoid the intense heat.

HGsHANC.jpg

On my spare/commuter at the moment. I can't remember if I posted, but in investigating the creak, LBS found my carbon frame is damaged on the chainstay. Apparently not uncommon, the chain jumps off inside and gets jammed up there, taking some carbon off. I've probably not done that for 5 to 10 months, but they said they wouldn't advise riding it like it is.

Soldato
So I'm more off an aspiring runner rather than cyclist but do enjoy a good ride out on the bike from time to time. I find that my legs on steep hills seem to loose power really quick, so i can be in maybe hardest hear on the back cog and within a short distance end up on the easiest. What's the quickest way to build muscle up to make it easier? Putting more and more miles in or something exercise i can do at home?

Soldato
Lycra lads and ladies, what's the general consensus on how to ride in a group?

I always thought it was meant to be two abreast, gap behind for two cars, two abreads, gap etc... or is that wrong? Some right plonkers around today riding in a chain of 4 on narrow roads for mile after mile with no awareness of the giant queue forming behind.

Soldato
I find that my legs on steep hills seem to loose power really quick, so i can be in maybe hardest hear on the back cog and within a short distance end up on the easiest.
You understand that's what's supposed to happen? That's why we ride bikes with gears... :cool: Do you have a power meter? Do you know it's power your losing and not just speed?

I was reading about Hardnott Pass, which I will likely be attempting in a few weeks. How simple is it to fit a compact chainring? Do I simply remove the off side crank, slide the main crank out and slide the new one in, put the other crank back on?

Soldato
I always thought it was meant to be two abreast, gap behind for two cars, two abreads, gap etc... or is that wrong?
That's definitely not something I've ever heard suggested. Some people say it's better two abreast (on roads with lanes both directions) as cars have to go wide anyway, so 2 abreast makes you a shorter line to pass.

Some right plonkers around today riding in a chain of 4 on narrow roads for mile after mile with no awareness of the giant queue forming behind.
Yeah, this is generally how you would do it. Tbh, there isn't a great deal you can do other than get single file and hug the side, when there are cars behind.

Associate
So I'm more off an aspiring runner rather than cyclist but do enjoy a good ride out on the bike from time to time. I find that my legs on steep hills seem to loose power really quick, so i can be in maybe hardest hear on the back cog and within a short distance end up on the easiest. What's the quickest way to build muscle up to make it easier? Putting more and more miles in or something exercise i can do at home?
Hills are just harder unfortunately. I find that you reach a natural fear and cadence on flat surfaces where you do not fatigue and make fast progress. Unfortunately the same power on a 10% hill is maybe going to cut it in the easiest gear going slowly. When it ramps up further you need to go beyond your comfort level to keep moving forwards and avoid needing to stop.

The only advice would be to swap gears earlier rather than later. It is better to have an easy time spinning at a cadence of 85-90 through the entire climb. If you try to stay in harder gears early, you just fatigue your legs at the start of the climb and will pay for it later on. Otherwise just practice and it will get easier (by easier I mean you will go faster and push more the next time!)

Last edited:
Soldato

Most riders don't need to build up extra leg muscle to become a better cyclist for climbing hills.

Interval training, ideally with a power meter, or at least a heart rate monitor to efficiently train.

Warm up, all out effort you can hold for 8mins, recover for 5-8mins in easy gear, repeat ~4 times before cool down.

Twice a week tops.

Easier to do safely on a turbo trainer, if not go with the quieter, stable gradient hills you have near you.

Last edited:
Soldato
You understand that's what's supposed to happen? That's why we ride bikes with gears... :cool: Do you have a power meter? Do you know it's power your losing and not just speed?
:) I don't have a power meter, only tracking i have is my garmin watch. I'd love it if it didn't happen mind but just feel sometimes i don't get much into a hill before i'm right in the low gears.
Hills are just harder unfortunately. I find that you reach a natural fear and cadence on flat surfaces where you do not fatigue and make fast progress. Unfortunately the same power on a 10% hill is maybe going to cut it in the easiest gear going slowly. When it ramps up further you need to go beyond your comfort level to keep moving forwards and avoid needing to stop.

The only advice would be to swap gears earlier rather than later. It is better to have an easy time spinning at a cadence of 85-90 through the entire climb. If you try to stay in harder gears early, you just fatigue your legs at the start of the climb and will pay for it later on. Otherwise just practice and it will get easier (by easier I mean you will go faster and push more the next time!)
Thanks i will try down shifting before my legs start to struggle.
Most riders don't need to build up extra leg muscle to become a better cyclist for climbing hills.

Interval training, ideally with a power meter, or at least a heart rate monitor to efficiently train.

Warm up, all out effort you can hold for 8mins, recover for 5-8mins in easy gear, repeat ~4 times before cool down.

Twice a week tops.

Easier to do safely on a turbo trainer, if not go with the quieter, stable gradient hills you have near you.
Thanks will have a go at this, we've got a coast road here that goes on for a while so can do it down there. Don't have room for a turbo trainer unfortunately :(

Man of Honour
Walking my dog yesterday morning and one of the routes takes me past a nice hotel, bumped into this lot and I'd forgotten it was the Tour of Britain.

IMG-8414.jpg

IMG-8413.jpg

Only one of the best cycling teams on the planet staying about a mile from my house. :cry:

Soldato
Interested in peoples views on current levels of road rage, anti cyclist sentiment and aggressive driving.
I've been riding for more than 10 years and this year (generally post pandemic) has seen me become more nervous road rising that ever before. Most of our riding is on fairly rural roads so this is not a town commute issue but I can't remember the last time we did not expereince either an insanely close pass, verbal or visual abuse or a degree of intimidation. It's even been noticeable that drivers coming in the opposite direction resort to hand gestures - the latest being a bloke of a motor trike!!
I've been forced off the road twice, one having to fall into a hedge. Most of the time I ride with a mate and we always drop in single file if there is a car behind. Definitely feels worse than pre-Covid. ANy other thoughts?

Soldato
Been out with a local cycling club 3 times in the 10 days; I should've joined them 2 years ago! Anyway, I'd normally go out for a 20, maybe a 30 mile ride on my own, but we did a 50 miler last Thursday, 40 on the Saturday, then 70 miles this Thursday just gone and another 70 miler today.

I don't normally do much climbing because of where I lIve (Lincolnshire) but we went up to the Lincs Wolds on our ride today with a few climbs and I forgot how much more interesting rides are up and down hills. Up a few of those climbs was the first few times I've really put a big amount of power through the bike (bought at the start of last season but never ridden hard up a hill) and it felt brilliant. Nice and responsive, and stiff <3

I've also been talking to a few people around the club and a mate; I'm going to organise a holiday to Majorca in March for cycling. This'll be my first time cycling abroad so I'll likely start a thread here and ask for any advice!

Last edited:
Soldato
Interested in peoples views on current levels of road rage, ... thoughts?
It's odd. While watching NFL last night, I dropped onto Reddit to pass some time. A variety of threads from r/cycling showed similar thoughts to you. I've not been on Reddit in months and months, so these discussions might be normal.

Personally, I've not noticed any difference (and I do 6-8k miles a year, so on the roads quite a lot).

I can think of one time in the last 3 months that someone shouted at our group. I think they were stuck behind us for a mile maybe, even though we were single file. To me, a summers Sunday morning down a country lane, you really should expect to meet cyclists!

Up a few of those climbs was the first few times I've really put a big amount of power through the bike (bought at the start of last season but never ridden hard up a hill)
Any 40-60 mile ride I do in Herts, guaranteed my Wahoo will identify 18 to 24 climbs. I do sometimes look jealously at how flat some people's rides are, but at the same time, I'm sure it makes me a stronger cyclist. There are definitely some days I wish I could just cruise along on a nice flat ride though...

I'm going to organise a holiday to Majorca in March for cycling.
I've done Mallorca in March the last two years and have paid my deposit for next March. Cycling in Mallorca is like a whole different experience, you'll love it.

Soldato
Interested in peoples views on current levels of road rage, anti cyclist sentiment and aggressive driving.
I've been riding for more than 10 years and this year (generally post pandemic) has seen me become more nervous road rising that ever before. Most of our riding is on fairly rural roads so this is not a town commute issue but I can't remember the last time we did not expereince either an insanely close pass, verbal or visual abuse or a degree of intimidation. It's even been noticeable that drivers coming in the opposite direction resort to hand gestures - the latest being a bloke of a motor trike!!
I've been forced off the road twice, one having to fall into a hedge. Most of the time I ride with a mate and we always drop in single file if there is a car behind. Definitely feels worse than pre-Covid. ANy other thoughts?

Since having a nasty crash a couple of years ago I've been very sensitive to driver aggression, and it is very much a case of a tiny minority who are either oblivious to their driving or are wilfully bullying cyclists off the road. I'd say I typically see 1 car an hour where the standard of driving falls significantly below acceptable, but that one driver will ruin a ride. Surprisingly this weekend was absolutely fine*, including spending 5 hours chasing tour of Britain on Friday which I thought would be bad due to all the temporary road closures ******* drivers off.

*Excluding 1 learner skateboarder who tried to knock me off in a cycle lane.

Soldato
So, current home insurance won't cover the new bike, so I'd better get specific bike insurance. Go Compare is recommending 'Cycle Eversure' and 'Cycleplan'. Does anyone have any experience of these two? Or, any specific recommendations?

Associate
So, current home insurance won't cover the new bike, so I'd better get specific bike insurance. Go Compare is recommending 'Cycle Eversure' and 'Cycleplan'. Does anyone have any experience of these two? Or, any specific recommendations?
I use the Laka collective. Insured 3 bikes with them. Much cheaper than home insurance.

They've paid out 3x to me in 18months with travel expenses without any hassle whatsoever (had some really **** luck... theft, accident, crash....)

Link below gets us both £25 but just go for them even if you don't use it! Can also go for the cheaper core if only want basic insurance.

Edit: those SRAM deals look phenomenal. Wish I wasn't so invested in Shimano currently.

Last edited:
Soldato
I signed up with Eversure this morning. Put all three bikes on for £330, which didn't seem too bad. It does note I must be using a Gold Standard lock, which tbf, when it might be in danger of being stolen, I probably wil bel. Do all policies state this? Out of interest, has anyone had a bike knicked when it wasn't locked and did they successfully claim?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Boy thats a lot of money for bike insurance
I signed up with Eversure this morning. Put all three bikes on for £330, which didn't seem too bad. It does note I must be using a Gold Standard lock, which tbf, when it might be in danger of being stolen, I probably wil bel. Do all policies state this? Out of interest, has anyone had a bike knicked when it wasn't locked and did they successfully claim?

I had a policy with eversure and the lock (must be padlock and the bracket) cost me the best part of £100. If anyone wanted to get into the shed they would have been better off just pulling the flimsy doors off. I assume its a deterrent more than actualy security because no shed is actually secure.

Bike was never stolen and after a couple of years I gave up on paying a few hundred quid for a bike that wasn't likely to be stolen and was losing value all the time.

I'm tempted to insure my bike but its in the house where I am 95% of the time. I'm far more likely to write off the bike actually riding it and in that case it will either be the drivers fault or far less likely my own but insurance to cover crash damage is rather expensive on a £5k bike.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom