Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Bought the dip on Rivian again. Been making some nice trades off the volatility. Quite a large chunk of my portfolio, but I've been moving a fair bit of funds from individual stock into trackers, besides a couple of punts.

Psilocybin stock Atai life sciences has been on a good bounce.

Caporegime
Bought the dip on Rivian again. Been making some nice trades off the volatility. Quite a large chunk of my portfolio, but I've been moving a fair bit of funds from individual stock into trackers, besides a couple of punts.

Psilocybin stock Atai life sciences has been on a good bounce.

Yeah same. I'm starting to move individual to trackers.
If AV does get bought out I'll probably take the profit for my van purchase and put the existing into a tracker. (maybe some in LGEN)

Associate
If moving solely to trackers, such as the S&P500, I presume you should have a few others of world markets, to balance out the portfolio.

Any suggestions ? I've moved between some funds, etc. for a while but would really like to settle on a simple low-maintenance portfolio.

Soldato
If moving solely to trackers, such as the S&P500, I presume you should have a few others of world markets, to balance out the portfolio.

Any suggestions ? I've moved between some funds, etc. for a while but would really like to settle on a simple low-maintenance portfolio.

A single developed world fund/etf, such as VEVE.

But holding an S&P500 tracker i would have no issues with.

But only ever one ETF/Fund.

Just make sure everyting is unhedged in terms of currency
Just note that nearly 2/3rds of the fund is US assets... Just for reference to @Koalaboy as he was suggesting he was looking for a more world wide approach.

They are not US assets, they assets owned by companies listed in the USA, its a difference.

If you only buy S&P500, you have huge exposure to china, and, exposure globally.

Soldato
Just note that nearly 2/3rds of the fund is US assets... Just for reference to @Koalaboy as he was suggesting he was looking for a more world wide approach.
VWRL is a complete balanced global fund. Extremely popular for those following FIRE. It may have a greater portion of US stocks but that’s because they make up a greater portion of the world stock markets.

Soldato
Going against would be making a specific bet against the US market, its entirely possible after the US market has outperformed over the last decade or so but not guaranteed.

Definitely preferred over s&p 500 tracker though which is about 25% in 6 companies sitting on huge valuations. But all trackers are weighted towards the mega caps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone here recently moved platforms to Vanguard? Instructed approx 50% of my SIPP to move to Vanguard to save on platform fees, website suggests 30 business days, I've also read as little as a week.

I've moved money from HL to 212 quite quickly, within a week or two from memory. Just keen to see if anyone has any recent experience. Thanks.

Edit - pretty damn quickly. Cash transfer from HL SIPP within a week.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's this the correct ticker?

HSqDkM3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
It's this the correct ticker?
[VWRL]
Yes VWRL is the popular one.

I prefer VHVG (developed world) because I think emerging markets are higher risk and higher fees and you get good exposure anyway via global companies:

I use these in my SIPP:

Soldato
If you're investing in Vanguard trackers (S+S Isa), is the Vanguard platform cheaper than H&L?

I'm with H&L at the moment. When I opened it years ago, iirc the fees were pretty negligible unless you had 10's of thousands in. Is that still the case? If so, any idea where the switchover point is?

Soldato
If you're investing in Vanguard trackers (S+S Isa), is the Vanguard platform cheaper than H&L?

I'm with H&L at the moment. When I opened it years ago, iirc the fees were pretty negligible unless you had 10's of thousands in. Is that still the case? If so, any idea where the switchover point is?
I can't see how not buying from Vanguard directly be cheaper than using a 3rd party to make the transaction.

They normally don't change for the purchase if you can wait for them to do it as a batch and you have to meet the minimum purchase amount.

I guess that's one advantage of using a 3rd party broker is that some may not require you to meet the minimum purchase amount, but if you do it as a standard order purchases, they (vanguard) allow you not to meet it and it allows factions.

from what I've seen of H&L as my nephew in law uses them, they are a bit of a rip off in fees.. some say the costs are covered if you trade enough as you get better prices but most of my funds just go into vanguard and I have a small amount into 212 as I think I'm the wolf of wallstreet... lol

Soldato
I can't see how not buying from Vanguard directly be cheaper than using a 3rd party to make the transaction.

They normally don't change for the purchase if you can wait for them to do it as a batch and you have to meet the minimum purchase amount.

I guess that's one advantage of using a 3rd party broker is that some may not require you to meet the minimum purchase amount, but if you do it as a standard order purchases, they (vanguard) allow you not to meet it and it allows factions.

from what I've seen of H&L as my nephew in law uses them, they are a bit of a rip off in fees.. some say the costs are covered if you trade enough as you get better prices but most of my funds just go into vanguard and I have a small amount into 212 as I think I'm the wolf of wallstreet... lol
The fee for certain investments including ETFs is capped on HL (£45 in ISAs, £200 in SIPPs) whereas vanguard charge a percentage fee so if you have a large amount invested vanguard is not always the cheapest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom