Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Logged in for the first time in ages. Up massively on my Global 100 ETF. Decided to take a bit of profit off the table this morning to offset against my upcoming mortgage tranche refix. Guarantied returns there.

Soldato
I brought some shares in DLG, as I thought I they hit rock bottom, but I was catching a falling knife and was tanking ever since.
Some company is buying them out today, so the shares has returned to the level that I brought them out but I'm not sure what it actually means for my shares long term..

Do they remain as DLG shares? do they get converted to the buy-out company or to I get my shares purchased automatically and the cash returned to my account?

Thanks

Associate
I brought some shares in DLG, as I thought I they hit rock bottom, but I was catching a falling knife and was tanking ever since.
Some company is buying them out today, so the shares has returned to the level that I brought them out but I'm not sure what it actually means for my shares long term..

Do they remain as DLG shares? do they get converted to the buy-out company or to I get my shares purchased automatically and the cash returned to my account?

Thanks
DLG as a whole aren't being sold, just the commercial brokered arm, so shares will remain the same. As for long term, who knows, but until they turn around the ongoing y/y reduction of policy numbers, I'm out.

Associate
What are peoples opinions on Archer Aviation (ACHR) or eVTOL in general.

I have a small position in the company and personally think it could be the next big thing but I would be very interested in hearing opposing viewpoints. (Shoot me down, so to speak)

Soldato
What are peoples opinions on Archer Aviation (ACHR) or eVTOL in general.

I have a small position in the company and personally think it could be the next big thing but I would be very interested in hearing opposing viewpoints. (Shoot me down, so to speak)

It is not a profitable company, so i wouldn't invest into it.

All good companies, if you waited to invest into them once they are profitable, you do well.

Otherwise most of them will end up with negative returns, either bankrupt or bought out by someone else for lower valuation.

Soldato
I'm sure I should know this already but what are the tax implications of investing in a global index fund? Would the £1000 personal allowance limit apply for example? Given these funds go down as well as up how is this managed?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Your only taxed on the point of taking it out.

Limit is 6k this year and next year is 3k.... UK is going to make millions from people in crypto in 2025 now. *****ards

Soldato
Your only taxed on the point of taking it out.

Limit is 6k this year and next year is 3k.... UK is going to make millions from people in crypto in 2025 now. *****ards
I think people making gains at 12k and possibly even 6k will likely have filled in a set assessment before but those making gains of 3k and many with crypto wouldn’t have a clue and would just assume the tax is taken like PAYE. I think the government will get a lot less from this than they expect.

Associate
It is not a profitable company, so i wouldn't invest into it.

All good companies, if you waited to invest into them once they are profitable, you do well.

Otherwise most of them will end up with negative returns, either bankrupt or bought out by someone else for lower valuation.

I agree, the fundamentals are not good. And you're right, particularly should the share price become diluted if they try to raise more money. Its more of a gamble than an investment, however I do think the tech could be a game changer. On the other hand I'm up 100%ish already so may be its time to get out and look at it again in the future.

I'm just reminded of 2015(ish) when I bought 4000 shares in AMD at about $2 a share - I sold at 4.5 feeling very pleased with myself. DOH! I do think there's a similar upside potential here and don't want to make the same mistake twice. But yes, I suppose it's gambling really.

Associate
I'm sure I should know this already but what are the tax implications of investing in a global index fund? Would the £1000 personal allowance limit apply for example? Given these funds go down as well as up how is this managed?
If it's not in a stocks and shares ISA then you work out the capital gain/loss when you sell and then declare it in self assessment. There's a capital gains allowance of £6k which is going down to £3k next year. An index fund will also pay out dividends, if it's an accumulation fund then dividends will automatically be reinvested into the fund, however it's still taxable in the year they are paid into the fund. There's a separate £1k dividend allowance which is going down to £500 next year, anything over that will count as income.

Soldato
If it's not in a stocks and shares ISA then you work out the capital gain/loss when you sell and then declare it in self assessment. There's a capital gains allowance of £6k which is going down to £3k next year. An index fund will also pay out dividends, if it's an accumulation fund then dividends will automatically be reinvested into the fund, however it's still taxable in the year they are paid into the fund. There's a separate £1k dividend allowance which is going down to £500 next year, anything over that will count as income.
Okay thanks. I just have a standard index fund directly with Vanguard. I don't have a huge amount in there but obviously want to make it as tax efficient as possible. Should I have created this within a S&S ISA? I may have to speak with Vanguard on this.

Caporegime
Shares are broadly flat.

I have some chunky positions (for me) in ezj and persimmon (slightly premature) and carnival.
Have a few smashed shares too hoping for recoveries that party nice divs (if they aren't cut massively).
One of those is vanquis. Hoping they can get away from some of the bad loans they've been shot down on.

My best recently has been IonQ.
A bit of a punt on IonQ. One of those all or nothing.

Pacwest did well. But sold most out of that.

Not been great last few months though.
Especially upstart and prem has been a disaster. Staying away from those hype shares

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah - fairly flat for me as well.

Apart from First Group who continue to climb.... up 220% for me since purchase and a nice dividend starting to flow now as well.
Bought at 45.7p now 156.6p

Just left most of my holdings sitting for last 6-9 months - Long term money so not that bothered.

Back
Top Bottom