Alex Jones..

Soldato
He didn't get banned from Twitter because of his Sandy Hook comments.

It is interesting the deflection the media are doing. Because if they told the truth about the ban the spotlight would go back on them.

Soldato
It feels like his "I'm kind of retarded" gif from the Joe Rogan podcast needs to be played on repeat for some folks in here.

He knows that he's an idiot, and yet to some in here he's manifested himself into beelzebub himself, rather than a "shock jock" who knows he's stupid.

People's OTT reactions to what he says is what has given him power, fans and money. Sadly he's so infamous now that it's too late to simply ignore him, which is what people should have done since day one and, because they were too busy pearl clutching and feeling righteous whilst doing so, their "Striesand effect" allowed this idiot to become a figurehead, rather than some forgotten loser on a small podcast.

Soldato
It feels like his "I'm kind of retarded" gif from the Joe Rogan podcast needs to be played on repeat for some folks in here.

He knows that he's an idiot, and yet to some in here he's manifested himself into beelzebub himself, rather than a "shock jock" who knows he's stupid.

People's OTT reactions to what he says is what has given him power, fans and money. Sadly he's so infamous now that it's too late to simply ignore him, which is what people should have done since day one and, because they were too busy pearl clutching and feeling righteous whilst doing so, their "Striesand effect" allowed this idiot to become a figurehead, rather than some forgotten loser on a small podcast.

Nah, he plays a character - I don't think he believes anything he says personally but alt-right grift brings in the cheddar.

Associate
I mean personally I think he is genuinely sorry, any reason you don't? He sounds sorry, he sounded sorry in 2019 when I heard him apologise on Joe Rogan and he sounded sorry last night in December 2023 when I heard him apologise on the Twitter Spaces. The problem is that the judge ordered him to pay $1.5bn, this isn't an actual sane amount of money for him, it simply bankrupts him and puts him in a position where he can't pay anything.

Yes, exactly it bankrupts him. That's kind of the point. To stop him doing any of this to anyone ever again.

Did you watch any of the court hearing's, did you see the shows he still put out during those hearings?

The amount of money he made off the back of people watching his bile, selling ridiculous pills.

Him apologising 500 times doesn't make up for what he did. He was found guilty in a court of law. He should now get lost and never be allowed to spew his opinions as fact ever again. Freedom of speach has consequences. He did it to make money.. and his time is up. Shame the same can't be said for other people.. like Trump.

Commissario
Yes, exactly it bankrupts him. That's kind of the point. To stop him doing any of this to anyone ever again.

Did you watch any of the court hearing's, did you see the shows he still put out during those hearings?

The amount of money he made off the back of people watching his bile, selling ridiculous pills.

Him apologising 500 times doesn't make up for what he did. He was found guilty in a court of law. He should now get lost and never be allowed to spew his opinions as fact ever again. Freedom of speach has consequences. He did it to make money.. and his time is up. Shame the same can't be said for other people.. like Trump.
It was kind of glorious when in one of the cases the judge had to remind him quite forcefully in his first minutes of evidence that he had just sworn to tell the truth and that meant the real truth, and that he was not on one of his shows, and that him stating "he was bankrupt" was not the truth as he had not been declared bankrupt, had not gone through the proceedings for it, and she wasn't even aware if he'd applied for it (and that applying for it does not mean you are, or that a court will agree that you satisfy the criteria).

Soldato

That's a bit like Fox News claiming they're not a news organisation.

He knows he's an idiot, his supporters don't. He also continued to spread lies even when he knew people were acting upon them, he can't use the idiot excuse to absolve him of responsibility for his actions. Again, a bit like Trump saying he never told people to try to subvert the democratic voting process.

All cut from the same cloth and all are very happy to profit from it.

Associate
He definitely did, he's also apologised around 500 times over the past 4-5 years for that.

R0pGndt.png

Can you in some small way appreciate how being "sorry" doesn't really fix the issue.

He's not sorry for the suffering he has caused, he's sorry he got caught and failed, spectacularly to defend himself or his actions.

He's a useful tool for those who know how to work him and his audience but to anyone else he's just bad person. Unspeakably broken and unashamed to sell his soul and integrity to entertain disillusioned and broken people needing any sense of direction and purpose.

If he is the hill you want to die on and defend be my guest but when it really goes south, and it will; it will stop being funny/a meme very quickly.

Have a good day either way Sir.

Associate
It was kind of glorious when in one of the cases the judge had to remind him quite forcefully in his first minutes of evidence that he had just sworn to tell the truth and that meant the real truth, and that he was not on one of his shows, and that him stating "he was bankrupt" was not the truth as he had not been declared bankrupt, had not gone through the proceedings for it, and she wasn't even aware if he'd applied for it (and that applying for it does not mean you are, or that a court will agree that you satisfy the criteria).

Yep indeed, I remember that. They also spent quite a lot of time trying to find out where his money was, because he was clearly deliberately hiding it (whilst as you said constantly saying he was bankrupt already) so nobody knew just how much he was worth.. ergo what effect a ruling would have on him. In the end the Jury's just basically said stuff it.. we will sanction enough to make sure he can't come back.

Permabanned
I don't buy this whole "whipped his fans into an angry frenzy", fans/people are responsible for their own actions. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he told anyone to go to their house and harass them, there was no call to actions, so people are accountable for their own actions.

Imagine I had a YouTube channel watched by millions of people. If I put up your photo and baselessly named you as a pedophile every week for three years, do you think I’d hold no responsibility for the actions of my viewers? Would you not blame me if you lost your job, you were harassed on the street or your family members assaulted?

Alex Jones encouraged people to go to Sandy Hook and investigate. He told his viewers that Sandy Hook was a plot to take their guns and that the government wanted to start a civil war. That’s incitement, in my opinion.

I mean personally I think he is genuinely sorry, any reason you don't?

He could have settled out of court with the families rather than making them go through a costly court case and relive everything again. He’s also backtracked on his apology more recently.

Soldato
Imagine I had a YouTube channel watched by millions of people. If I put up your photo and baselessly named you as a pedophile every week for three years, do you think I’d hold no responsibility for the actions of my viewers?

I think you'd be in legal trouble if you did that, much like Alex Jones has been, you wouldn't how ever be responsible for the actions of other people unless you told them or encouraged them to do something. I think this would be a pretty straight forward case of libel though. If you genuinely believed it, then you'd probably at least have some base for it. I think this analogy is also a little different given accusing someone of being a state actor and making up a crime probably doesn't put them at the same personal risk as accusing someone of being a paedophile.

Would you not blame me if you lost your job, you were harassed on the street or your family members assaulted?

Absolutely if you had no evidence for your claim.

Alex Jones encouraged people to go to Sandy Hook and investigate.

I mean sure, but you realise if he genuinely believed that at the time, going to investigate would actually be reasonable? Confronting parents or harassing them in any way wouldn't though.

He told his viewers that Sandy Hook was a plot to take their guns and that the government wanted to start a civil war. That’s incitement, in my opinion.

He is allowed to be wrong about something, you get that right? People are allowed to say things and just be wrong. You can't outlaw someone from stating an opinion that then turns out to be incorrect.

He could have settled out of court with the families rather than making them go through a costly court case and relive everything again. He’s also backtracked on his apology more recently.

He's backtracked on it? I literally heard him apologise last night and clearly state that Sandy Hook was real. I think probably people just need to move on. Alex said stupid things over 4 years ago and has since apologised and admitted he wasn't correct. I'm sorry he doesn't get the death sentence for that because a lot of you don't like him.

Permabanned
He is allowed to be wrong about something, you get that right? People are allowed to say things and just be wrong. You can't outlaw someone from stating an opinion that then turns out to be incorrect.

No, he’s not allowed to make baseless accusations that cause harm to people. That’s how he lost the defamation lawsuit. Even the First Amendment couldn’t protect him in this case.

Its difficult because in the US their legal system varies by state, so some crimes at state level can be very different state to state.
Generally however they have catch alls for people who were leading up to or encouraging others in undertaking something illegal.

So there will be lower crimes mentioning, planning for, inciting, encouraging, giving relief to, giving comfort to, etc.

Soldato
No, he’s not allowed to make baseless accusations that cause harm to people. That’s how he lost the defamation lawsuit. Even the First Amendment couldn’t protect him in this case.

Yeah, you're right, he definitely went over the top with this, which is typical for him in almost everything. In a more general sense though, I just believe people should be allowed to say something and be wrong, as long as they believe what they say and they aren't deliberately lying to be malicious.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, you're right, he definitely went over the top with this, which is typical for him in almost everything. In a more general sense though, I just believe people should be allowed to say something and be wrong, as long as they believe what they say and they aren't deliberately lying to be malicious.

And that's a large part of the issue. How do you prove whether he actually believed it or not? How do you prove his intentions?

Many people think AJ didn't believe what he was saying and that he was deliberately lying to make money (which could be argued to be worse than being malicious).

You give him the benefit of the doubt (of course you do), but many people don't.

Permabanned
I think there’s two important points in this case:

1. What he said was baseless. There was absolutely zero credible evidence for what he said.
2. It caused his victims harm. Whether he incited his supporters to harass the victims is debatable (I’d say yes) but I think we can all imagine the emotion harm this must have caused his victims during such a difficult time for them.

IMO, if either of these isn’t true then he should be entitled to his own opinion.

Back
Top Bottom