What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime

Recently bought new wheels for the STI - had custom centre caps made (£20 ebay), and now just had new Good Year F1 Assymetric 6 fitted. I'm a long term fan of Michelin and formerly the PS range were far superior to the equivalent//contemporary Good Year F1s. Initial impressions are that these Assy 6 are now on a par with their Michelin competitors.

Cheaper too!

Permabanned
This week was fun :)
Ladies in red...
rarie30.jpg
45-BE59-A7-2-CE8-41-ED-8-A11-B383-B05565-F5.jpg

Classics over modern cars any day!

Soldato
Minor rant incoming :

Mother in law's car has a problem, I say I'll take a look. It's a Peugeot 208, five years old maybe.

The boot open sensor is always on. Maybe not a big deal? Oh no, you can't actually lock the car at all if the sensor things the boot is open.

I try a bit of wd40 on the mechanism and cycle it a bunch with a crew driver, no joy. Switch for the sensor is behind some trim apparently. Had a quick look at getting it off but the flimsy POS, badly fitting plastic doesn't want to budge without threatening to break.

Anyway, rant is that I'm amazed French cars are still horrendous cheap nasty tat and I'm amazed anyone ever buys them. The dashboard is horrific.

Soldato
Minor rant incoming :

Mother in law's car has a problem, I say I'll take a look. It's a Peugeot 208, five years old maybe.

The boot open sensor is always on. Maybe not a big deal? Oh no, you can't actually lock the car at all if the sensor things the boot is open.

I try a bit of wd40 on the mechanism and cycle it a bunch with a crew driver, no joy. Switch for the sensor is behind some trim apparently. Had a quick look at getting it off but the flimsy POS, badly fitting plastic doesn't want to budge without threatening to break.

Anyway, rant is that I'm amazed French cars are still horrendous cheap nasty tat and I'm amazed anyone ever buys them. The dashboard is horrific.
I got my e2008 on a dodgy salary sacrifice deal so I'm excused but even the new stuff is nuts - the steering wheel literally breaks your knees and covers the dials. Two things you'd think they'd design for lol.

Man of Honour
I got my e2008 on a dodgy salary sacrifice deal so I'm excused but even the new stuff is nuts - the steering wheel literally breaks your knees and covers the dials. Two things you'd think they'd design for lol.
It's also not wheel shaped which really annoys me when I drive my wife's car

Soldato
Tbh it's not just French stuff, my just over 3 year old VW Tiguan goes mental occasionally and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Lock/unlock it a couple of times and it's fine again.
Getting rid of it soon.

Man of Honour
VANOS oil filter & O-rings refresh. I found using one of those twisty cable ties that come with every gadget's USB cable in the box is best way, just put it through the ring, pull gently and move the o-ring into position on the valve then pull out the cable tie. Easy as wee. Apply some vaseline to the o-rings to help them slide up the valve easy too.

Took me a while to suss this method though hah.

My old filter was brittle and clogged! O-ring 1 was also completely flattened as seems to be the norm and came apart as plastic not silicone lol.

Old vs new filter:
GAAqC9f.jpg

The flattened o-ring:
kZAOnhk.jpg

Finished:
bYe9xua.jpg

Man of Honour
Hmm interesting, I actually got the tip off a M3 mechanic video doing the same job on his M3!

It's plain vaseline of course not sure if that makes a difference. The heat of the oil and pressure of the VANOS (100 bar) will probably erase any vaseline after a drive anyway I guess!

Soldato
Hmm interesting, I actually got the tip off a M3 mechanic video doing the same job on his M3!

It's plain vaseline of course not sure if that makes a difference. The heat of the oil and pressure of the VANOS (100 bar) will probably erase any vaseline after a drive anyway I guess!
Yeah it's not like it will destroy it in minutes for sure. Most people just use vaseline I think!

Just nice to know the right thing for the right job and another tin of something to buy for the toolbox :D

Soldato
I've already had an adventure today heading back to Halfords to buy an adapter to take the socket from 3/8" to 1/2" - Another item for the box :D
Got mine last month! In fact I had to buy a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer AND a 3/8" to 1/2" embiggener. As bought a 3/8" impact socket set but 1/2" impact wrench. And my ratchet is 3/8".

Soldato
Sold the Legacy 2.5GT yesterday. Been solid since I imported it and had it up at what I thought was a good price.

Lots of questions but no visits, wrong time of year I suppose. Then just a few days before Xmas, lots of interest. Chap left a deposit and came yesterday to collect.

Weather crap, didnt have time to really prep the car etc as I was on hol. Sods law, the boot was full of water, a seal seems to have gone. Annnnnnd, when I opened the bonnet, the cable must have seized as it wouldnt close. Got it after much investigation. Chap was still happy, knows Subarus well and it was a great price for what it was. Served us well.

Associate
d1y8UrM.jpg

Investigated the cause of the TPMS warning on the F Type this morning… Too close to the edge to repair and nowhere local can get the right tyre til Wednesday now.

£330 I wasn’t planning on spending this Christmas :(

Back
Top Bottom