• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Release dates for the super cards

Soldato
A super ti, damn we are running out of names :(

They should have brought back the "GT/X" naming scheme tbh, I suppose at least they're trying to be more obvious in performance tiers.

It's still an awful name.

4070GT
4070GTS
4070GTX

Maybe I'm just nostalgic :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Why bother with the 4070ti super at all, just drop the 4080 to £800 and be done with it.
From what I gather Nvidia have 4080 chips that aren't up to snuff and are releasing them as 4070tis. It's effectively a cut down 4080 die.

Aka what the 4070 should have been, but Jensen won CEO of the year for a reason. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
A super ti, damn we are running out of names :(

Ultra ffs! That goes back to the first line of cards that had that tag in the geforce 2 line!

uUoGJRK.jpg

Soldato
Why bother with the 4070ti super at all, just drop the 4080 to £800 and be done with it.
They've shaved 1280 CUDA cores off of it and fitted it with slower memory to justify the price cut. That means better yields, lower production costs and more money in Nvidia's coffers. On the AIB side you'll likely see cheaper coolers than found on a 4080 (unless you want to pay a large premium for a Strix or something). A lot of the 4070 Ti coolers have already been downcosted over time, since they were originally designed when it had x80-tier status. The MSI "Slim" model that replaced the original Gaming X, for example, is over 500g lighter, notably smaller and has less fancy RGB lighting.

Last edited:
Soldato
They've shaved 1280 CUDA cores off of it and fitted it with slower memory to justify the price cut. That means better yields, lower production costs and more money in Nvidia's coffers. On the AIB side you'll likely see cheaper coolers than found on a 4080 (unless you want to pay a large premium for a Strix or something). A lot of the 4070 Ti coolers have already been downcosted over time, since they were originally designed when it had x80-tier status. The MSI "Slim" model that replaced the original Gaming X, for example, is over 500g lighter, notably smaller and has less fancy RGB lighting.
The die and VRAM for a 4080 only cost in the region of £125 so I doubt the cost differences are much when all said and done.

Those big coolers were overkill anyway and a waste on the 4080 which used about the same average power as a 3070ti, they were probably only used to make the card look bigger and better than it really was to justify its OTT price.

Caporegime
The die and VRAM for a 4080 only cost in the region of £125 so I doubt the cost differences are much when all said and done.

Those big coolers were overkill anyway and a waste on the 4080 which used about the same average power as a 3070ti, they were probably only used to make the card look bigger and better than it really was to justify its OTT price.
There's certainly a level of optics and visual aesthetics when it comes to these cards. Many of the 4000 series are large with large coolers because it's expected at this level, even when it's not really necessary. Some people would be very disappointed if a 4080 was only 8 inches long with a dual fan cooler, no matter its performance.

Associate
Do people just brain fart when thinking about nvidia? I don't think I have ever seen nvidias prices go down when something new is released but I have always seen people waiting for the new release hoping for price drops...

Back
Top Bottom