• Digital Only Version

Votes: 173 16.3%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 662 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
Yep, got a prompt from 1P to save / update my login with Sony.

Then once it was saved, it appeared in my 1P account. I'll try to show how it looks in 1Password with the image below, basically it can either become part of your existing Sony login details in 1P or you can create it as a new entry. I went with a new entry as I wasn't sure how it would merge - but realistically I think it would have been fine under one entry.

vdqARQC.png

Thanks for the image, as was going to ask what website you use on 1Password, as 1p doesn’t mention a passkey is available for Sony, like it does for some other accounts under watchtower.

Soldato
I’m tempted by the concept of a PS5 Pro but I’m not sure if it would really bring much to the table? Maybe just 60fps support and more integrated storage? Possibly improved graphics/performance for PSVR2 ?

At least with the ps4 pro it handled 4k so it was a noticeable step up from the 1080p of the base ps4. I feel Sony will struggle to justify the existence of a pro variant of the ps5?

I’m hoping I’ll be proven wrong though as the ps5 is pretty much my go to gaming system so I’d be happy to upgrade if it was a genuine improvement.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’m tempted by the concept of a PS5 Pro but I’m not sure if it would really bring much to the table? Maybe just 60fps support and more integrated storage? Possibly improved graphics/performance for PSVR2 ?

Supposed to be better ray tracing. So I guess better lighting, reflections, shadows and stuff because of more rays?

Associate
Also rumoured to have its own upscaling implementation that isn's FSR. I think the console itself wont have much improvements, but the special sauce being improved RT, custom upscaling and the ability to add the upscaling and VRR to any game by checking a box could be huge. Could turn quality mode into the 60fps version and performance mode could be 80-100+ fps

Soldato
The inclusion of the Bluray player was great, it basically convinced my Dad that we should 100% get a PS3. Most of my friends had the same situation, a Bluray player at the time cost the same / more than a PS3 - so why not just get a PS3 that can also play games?

We did have that one friend who had that HD DVD competitor thing?
I do think it was a good idea, you've got to make these standelard or they become a gimmick that dies out.

Associate
Could turn quality mode into the 60fps version and performance mode could be 80-100+ fps
This is what I'm really hoping for - having a stable 60fps at 4k for quality and then having an 'uncapped' performance mode that runs in the 90s and above.

I know there's a lot of people who won't feel like there is a difference going into those high fps numbers but playing God of War 2018 on PC at a locked 90fps was such a smooth experience even compared to 60.

Associate
This is what I'm really hoping for - having a stable 60fps at 4k for quality and then having an 'uncapped' performance mode that runs in the 90s and above.

I know there's a lot of people who won't feel like there is a difference going into those high fps numbers but playing God of War 2018 on PC at a locked 90fps was such a smooth experience even compared to 60.
For sure, a locked 60fps ( or higher fps ) feels a lot smoother, but the real question is whether Sony can produce a Pro model that's capable of delivering that without costing the earth. I'm not convinced they can ... the GPU required to achieve this goal would represent a significant "hike" compared to what is in the base PS5.

edit. And the next question is : what games/titles are being developed, or have been released, that would benefit from this hardware ? I don't see a lot on the horizon, if I'm being honest, and some of the "poorer" performing games eg. FF16 just aren't well optimised - more powerful hardware isn't going to fix that.

Last edited:
Associate
For sure, a locked 60fps ( or higher fps ) feels a lot smoother, but the real question is whether Sony can produce a Pro model that's capable of delivering that without costing the earth. I'm not convinced they can ... the GPU required to achieve this goal would represent a significant "hike" compared to what is in the base PS5.

edit. And the next question is : what games/titles are being developed, or have been released, that would benefit from this hardware ? I don't see a lot on the horizon, if I'm being honest, and some of the "poorer" performing games eg. FF16 just aren't well optimised - more powerful hardware isn't going to fix that.
Yeah that's true - you can brute force through poor optimisation to some degree if the hardware has enough grunt but then it goes back to your first point about what the actual cost would be if that is the case.

Possibly 599? But even that feels way too much for a console. How much was the PS3 when it launched in the UK? I feel like I remember it being 499? Or possibly 550?

Soldato
Yeah that's true - you can brute force through poor optimisation to some degree if the hardware has enough grunt but then it goes back to your first point about what the actual cost would be if that is the case.

Possibly 599? But even that feels way too much for a console. How much was the PS3 when it launched in the UK? I feel like I remember it being 499? Or possibly 550?
£425 I think, but it was very difficulty to buy outside of a bundle back then which would have pushed the price closer to £500 most likely.

Soldato
That was my key point above. Your hardware is only as good as what you play on it.

It's like my mates buying high end overpriced GPU's and playing the same old games on it. The games won't take advantage of that hardware.

I'm currently playing Pacific Drive, which developers themselves said they have targetted a pathetic 4k30. The game can barely manage 30. A Pro won't do anything for my experience here. If developers aren't going to put the work in to make a game run the best it can then a Pro is wasted hardware imo like the latest GPU's powered by driver analytic bloat.

Soldato
Possibly 599? But even that feels way too much for a console.

That’s my thoughts. I’m assuming if there were a pro/slim ps5 model update later this year pricing of the product stack would be along the lines of :-

PS5 slim digital- £300
PS5 slim disc - £400
PS5 Pro - £600

Is there a market for a console at that price? I’m not sure?

Plus if it doesn’t sell well will developers make the effort to improve games for it and/or update existing titles.

I suppose one potential advantage is that if we do get upgraded ps5 pro games presumably the PS6 could run those versions as well when it eventually sees the light of day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom