Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 41 14.6%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.6%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
Ok so just what the actual hell is going on? It's hardly like they need to save money and 'streamline'.
They do actually need to streamline as in their last report to investors PlayStation is running on a 5% profit margin. And since London Studio seems to be mostly develop VR games and PlayStation VR2 sales have been very poor.

Last edited:
They do actually need to streamline as in their last report to investors PlayStation is running on a 5% profit margin. And since London Studio seems to be mostly develop VR games and PlayStation VR2 sales have been very poor.
Profits and losses seem like smoke and mirrors to me half of the time.

Incidentally, I thought there was talk of getting the VR2 headsets to work on PC, not sure on the details or whether it'd be natively or by some other magic. That may just some Tuber wishful thinking I happened to hear though.

I'll be honest, I have very little knowledge of the business workings of Sony but if PlayStation is making cuts in the biggest entertainment industry in the world then it's not good.

Last edited:
Profits and losses seem like smoke and mirrors to me half of the time.

Incidentally, I thought there was talk of getting the VR2 headsets to work on PC, not sure on the details or whether it'd be natively or by some other magic. That may just some Tuber wishful thinking I happened to hear though.

I'll be honest, I have very little knowledge of the business workings of Sony but if PlayStation is making cuts in the biggest entertainment industry in the world then it's not good.
It's illegal to pull the wool over the eyes of investors.
It was confirmed by Sony themselves that VR2 is being made compatible with PC sometime this year.
A lot of it stems from over hiring during covid where the games market ballooned, since then the console market has been stagnant if not declining. The new CEO of PlayStation is a Japanese, career Sony man who comes across as a bean counter.

Last edited:
The fallout of Covid is still being felt. Knock ons upon knock ons. I expect Sony’s announcement has roots in Covid somewhere, probably a mixture of normalisation of required staff levels post Covid as well as offsetting costs/losses in their hardware production owing to increased price of components and lower than projected sales of PS5 units.

Shareholders want their cut and can and will affect major changes in corporations to ensure sufficient return on investment. It’s happening in a lot of places. My own employer is looking to cut £100m in costs globally by financial year end 2026.

That’s business, and it’s a tale as old as time.

Last edited:
iirc the 1st release of most consoles have barely any profit margin (sometimes sold at a small loss), it's only as hardware is respun and becomes cheaper that the hardware actually makes a profit. The "slim" still won't have a massive markup, but will be the first PS5 that makes a healthy margin.

It's why metrics such as attach rate (how many games sold per console) is important as the games often subsidise the hardware at least in the early stages.
Oh I know that (I'm sure the ps3 was sold at a massive loss to push bluray as it was the most expensive bit). I just meant if the ps4 slim and ps4 pro where selling at rrp at the same time the gpu of the slim is half that of the pro so there must have been a decent markup on that (obviously helped by several years of cosy reduction). I did see a breakdown in coat for the ps3 and iirc the bluray bit was something like £130. Not seen anything like that for the ps4 or 5.

Oh I know that (I'm sure the ps3 was sold at a massive loss to push bluray as it was the most expensive bit). I just meant if the ps4 slim and ps4 pro where selling at rrp at the same time the gpu of the slim is half that of the pro so there must have been a decent markup on that (obviously helped by several years of cosy reduction). I did see a breakdown in coat for the ps3 and iirc the bluray bit was something like £130. Not seen anything like that for the ps4 or 5.
The inclusion of the Bluray player was great, it basically convinced my Dad that we should 100% get a PS3. Most of my friends had the same situation, a Bluray player at the time cost the same / more than a PS3 - so why not just get a PS3 that can also play games?

We did have that one friend who had that HD DVD competitor thing?

Anyone set up the new passkey support on there Sony account yet?

Yeah, made a boob first by doing it on Windows. That set it up using Windows Hello which I don't have a webcam for so it's a 6-digit PIN which seems to me to be the least secure option. So did it again on iPhone and now it's using FaceID. Scanning the QR code in the PlayStation app worked seamlessly to log in on PS5.

Yeah, made a boob first by doing it on Windows. That set it up using Windows Hello which I don't have a webcam for so it's a 6-digit PIN which seems to me to be the least secure option. So did it again on iPhone and now it's using FaceID. Scanning the QR code in the PlayStation app worked seamlessly to log in on PS5.
Also made a boob of it too - but then I realised I've got 1Password that supports Passkeys so I've used that to sort it out on the PlayStation app and my PS5 and it's now all working perfectly!

Also made a boob of it too - but then I realised I've got 1Password that supports Passkeys so I've used that to sort it out on the PlayStation app and my PS5 and it's now all working perfectly!
Did you get a prompt from 1p to save the passkey?
As I’m not seeing anything in 1p that a passkey is available for my Sony account.
Can’t see how 1p will prompt to store the passkey when I set it up and then I will be screwed.

Last edited:
Did you get a prompt from 1p to save the passkey?
As I’m not seeing anything in 1p that a passkey is available for my Sony account.
Can’t see how 1p will prompt to store the passkey when I set it up and then I will be screwed.
Yep, got a prompt from 1P to save / update my login with Sony.

Then once it was saved, it appeared in my 1P account. I'll try to show how it looks in 1Password with the image below, basically it can either become part of your existing Sony login details in 1P or you can create it as a new entry. I went with a new entry as I wasn't sure how it would merge - but realistically I think it would have been fine under one entry.

vdqARQC.png

Back
Top Bottom