Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Soldato
This has always been the problem with the benefit system. It is not that the system is unfair, it's just that it's managed by incompetence. Deserving people often get nothing while the lazy scumbags get everything. They have never been able to recognise deserving people and filter out the scroungers. It's really not that difficult but as per the government make a terrible mess of it.

I can’t see how he’s punching down with this post :confused:

That's how I read it. "Lazy scumbags get everything" in particular.

Soldato
I thought ESA wasn't means tested/it didn't matter what you or your partner had in savings or assets? Maybe that's just the "new style" one and this couple were on the old style one.
Yeah I assume it depends what they are on. She will (should be) getting PIP as well, which is none means tested. The DWP must think they have over 6k in savings. Whole thing is ridiculous and incredibly nasty, just think of the stress and anxiety that woman has been put under by those scumbags.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
This is why we should get a national income.

The money saved by closing all these departments would help go to pay for it. No wonder the civil service are against it.

Caporegime
The language was harsh but that doesn’t take away from the fact that there is undoubtedly benefit fraud in this country, and an element of society who would rather live off the state than work, despite being physically fit to work

It's not just about being physically fit, there are a lot of hidden disabilities, for example autism, where if you're high-functioning enough to not be a complete mute and aren't flapping your hands about, you're considered fit to work. In fact, the employment rate for people with autism is shocking because many of them just don't fit into a neurotypical workforce.

Being diagnosed with the above as an adult takes ages on the NHS, and even then it's not a given that you'll get disability benefits. Yes, there are the genius types with autism who can brute force it and heavily mask it, but for most it's not like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
The language was harsh but that doesn’t take away from the fact that there is undoubtedly benefit fraud in this country, and an element of society who would rather live off the state than work, despite being physically fit to work

There is, and it's about 4% of claimed money, so not "everything" more like "less than 5p in the pound".

Caporegime
Soldato
That's not really about disability? It's mentioned once towards the end, but it's in the context of giving disabled people who want to work better access to employment.
Not directly. But it's an indication that anyone who thinks Labour getting in means that a liberal revolution is about to occur need to think again.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Benefit fraud costs around £2 billion a year. By comparison, tax fraud costs £16 billion a year.

That’s still £2B, and it would be more if fraud were not fought.

It's pretty sickening.
Don't vote Conservative unless you want more of this, is all I can say really.

What have the Conservatives got to do with this? The DSS, DWP, et al have been cocking things up for decades regardless of government. The DWP cocked up my benefits in Brown’s era but I didn’t blame Labour. (Ironically it was because of a job application for a Civil Service job to work at Downing Street!)

Last edited:
Associate
6.3 million people claim disability benefits in the UK, so nearly 1 in 10 people. It is crazy and in no way sustainable.

This along with people that don't work, or low-paid workers claiming money for kids they cannot afford is the reason working and middle-class people are paying so much tax.

Soldato
Soldato
6.3 million people claim disability benefits in the UK, so nearly 1 in 10 people. It is crazy and in no way sustainable.

This along with people that don't work, or low-paid workers claiming money for kids they cannot afford is the reason working and middle-class people are paying so much tax.
Holy ****, I had no idea it was that many!

Soldato
If people are disabled and can't work then they are disabled and can't work. Taking benefits off them doesn't mean they will be getting that high skilled high paid job, it means they will be down the food bank trying to not starve.
People should stop looking down at the poorest in society, and maybe look up at what the scum at the top are doing.

Caporegime

It's estimated that around 15-20% of the population is neurodiverse, so when you consider the more severe cases of this, alongside physical disabilities and mental health issues, it doesn't seem so crazy.

The levels of benefit fraud are always massively exaggerated when these issues come up, it's a small part of the overall problem of how we look after the most vulnerable in society in this country and where it seems to be heading.

Associate
It makes perfect sense to go after the poorest but totally forget about billions of OUR taxpayer money spent on bounce back loans that were conveniently lost/forgotten about and all task forces disbanded to go after the companies that took them.

How are people not out on the streets rioting?

Last edited:
Associate

Then the UK needs to collect more taxes, firms needs to pay proper wages instead of leaving it to Gov subsidies via various benefits to make up for the shortfall. And when I say taxes, I mean across the board, especially these multi billion dollar firms paying out dividends when they don’t pay staff properly.

And the big one - we need proper good quality growth that isn’t driven by poor quality investment, I guess the most obvious one is HS2 going from £2.30 to £0.80 for every pound spent it brought back. The Gov needs to actually invest so we can grow and can continue to pay for everything, which evidently we’re struggling to on a sustainable level.

Back
Top Bottom