Fuji X Series

Soldato
So my conclusion is that the photos I’ve taken with the X-T5 and 23mm 1.4 aren’t appreciably better than my X100V for the type of photos I take and for the increase in size/weight.

So before I return it to Very I've listed it for sale incase anyone wants to get the bargain price I paid. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/fujifilm-x-t5-black-as-new.18986484/

Then you see that people can carry a lighter 18-23mm where shallow dof matters less (it usually looks digitial and nervous now on sharp lenses - even ff) and use one other lens for shallow dof like the 56mm 1.2s. Then you get annoyed at swapping out lenses. Then it's back to small and light, but then it's no shallow dof. Then it's full frame with wider angles and shallow dof. Then the focal length doesn't always work. Then it's back to two lenses on full frame. Then you get annoyed at swapping out lenses. Then it's looking at one lens setup on ff but you realise they're hugely expensive and weigh not far off 1.5kg without body. Then you just get annoyed at optics in general :D

Soldato
Making an effort to use my 100F on holiday over my phone and its been interesting finding a moderate love for photography again. Also insane that it's worth more now than I paid for it two years ago.

Seriously tempted by the VI, tbh even a V looks good but honestly used prices for that don't seem far off a new VI so may stick a preorder down and see what happens.

Last edited:
Associate
Strongly considering selling the X100VI. Much as a I like it we've just found out my dad has prostate cancer (T4, the spread is bad, now management not cure) so this year seems to want to carry on where 2023 left off for utterly useless luck, and priorities are going to have to change yet again.
Sorry to hear that :(

Just remember a bit of joy in your life during dark times is very important. So if the camera brings you joy, even if you're not feeling it now, only sell it if you really have to...

Soldato
I am looking at getting back into photography. I have had a couple of cameras in the past. The Canon 60D, 7D and the R10. I am currently debating between the Fuji X-T5 with the XF 18-55mm or the XF 35mm f/2 R for around £1800 or the Fuji X100VI for an extra £400 above retail pricing for £2000. Would anyone be able to offer any advice please. I am very much an amateur amateur. :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I am looking at getting back into photography. I have had a couple of cameras in the past. The Canon 60D, 7D and the R10. I am currently debating between the Fuji X-T5 with the XF 18-55mm or the XF 35mm f/2 R for around £1800 or the Fuji X100VI for an extra £400 above retail pricing for £2000. Would anyone be able to offer any advice please. I am very much an amateur amateur. :p
What type of photography do you think you’ll be doing? Whilst similar in some ways, they’re two completely different tools for different purposes. It’s hard to make a recommendation without knowing how you intend to use it. You should have some idea of what does and doesn’t work for you based on your previous kit.

Soldato
What type of photography do you think you’ll be doing? Whilst similar in some ways, they’re two completely different tools for different purposes. It’s hard to make a recommendation without knowing how you intend to use it. You should have some idea of what does and doesn’t work for you based on your previous kit.

This may not be very helpful but I am looking at doing a bit of everything really, especially pictures of our dogs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The main difference is that the X100VI has a fixed 23mm f/2.0 lens. The X-T5 accepts X-mount lenses. The X100 is more geared towards the casual shooter who wants a capable camera that can fit in their jacket pocket. The X-T5 is aimed at professionals and serious amateurs and has the features to match. If you’re not really sure I’d recommend neither to begin with. You clearly have the money, so perhaps with a £2k budget, buy a used X100F/T and an X-T3 to test the water and see what it is you really want. Once you know and if you still want the upgrade (they’re both still very capable cameras), you could sell them for a minimal loss and buy the latest version of the format you prefer.

Personally, I prefer the flexibility of interchangeable lenses but also value a smaller camera so compromised with an X-S10. I’m really happy with it and the only thing it doesn’t have that I wish it did was more than 4 custom setting profiles.

It’s also worth noting that the X100VI is very popular with the hipsters and commands higher prices. Like its predecessors, the market will be flooded with sub-1k shutter count examples, albeit at ridiculous prices, for the next couple of years.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea taking a photo of a dog who is off in the distance running will require a telephoto lens and some solid animal tracking focus. This is not a X100 series.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Speaking of X100, my V is back and I'm feeling good about the decision. It's not as good as the X-T5 with the 23 1.4 WR, but it makes up for that in size and looks.

A few snaps in the garden with the sun out this morning.

20240410-DSCF3715.jpg

20240410-DSCF3716.jpg

20240410-DSCF3720-2.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You say it’s not as good as the XT5 combo but is there really any meaningful difference for the sort of photos you take? I think you’re chasing a notion rather than looking for a good camera!

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You say it’s not as good as the XT5 combo but is there really any meaningful difference for the sort of photos you take? I think you’re chasing a notion rather than looking for a good camera!

It’s minor and certainly for the photos I take (family events, trips, holidays) there is no meaningful difference. The size of the X100V though is definitely a big deal when taking the camera out with me.

Man of Honour
It’s minor and certainly for the photos I take (family events, trips, holidays) there is no meaningful difference. The size of the X100V though is definitely a big deal when taking the camera out with me.
Yeah, I really wish I could afford one as portability becomes a higher priority. The best camera is the one you have with you.

Soldato
The main difference is that the X100VI has a fixed 23mm f/2.0 lens. The X-T5 accepts X-mount lenses. The X100 is more geared towards the casual shooter who wants a capable camera that can fit in their jacket pocket. The X-T5 is aimed at professionals and serious amateurs and has the features to match. If you’re not really sure I’d recommend neither to begin with. You clearly have the money, so perhaps with a £2k budget, buy a used X100F/T and an X-T3 to test the water and see what it is you really want. Once you know and if you still want the upgrade (they’re both still very capable cameras), you could sell them for a minimal loss and buy the latest version of the format you prefer.

Personally, I prefer the flexibility of interchangeable lenses but also value a smaller camera so compromised with an X-S10. I’m really happy with it and the only thing it doesn’t have that I wish it did was more than 4 custom setting profiles.

It’s also worth noting that the X100VI is very popular with the hipsters and commands higher prices. Like its predecessors, the market will be flooded with sub-1k shutter count examples, albeit at ridiculous prices, for the next couple of years.

For FAST AF.....Fuji isn't the best, Sony is from a little better (A73) to another universe better in the A93.

Yea taking a photo of a dog who is off in the distance running will require a telephoto lens and some solid animal tracking focus. This is not a X100 series.

Thank you for your responses, Scuzi, Raymond Lin and LiE. Spending up to £2000 is a bit insane really given I am pretty new to photography and the smart option would be to purchase a used Fuji X-T3. I am a bit of a weird one when it comes to used gear though. I much prefer new. I have been looking at the Fuji X-S20, which is slightly cheaper than the first two options I listed but still pretty expensive. I like the idea of the film simulations of Fujifilm cameras.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom