FIFA 08 Official Thread

Soldato
Whoa, big statement. I love football but fifa 07 was rubbish, 03 was just crap. What i hate about all of them is the delay in the reaction from the players. Is the new one better?

No still feels like your only half in control of the players, and still very sluggish, download the demo and see for yourself :)

Caporegime
Whilst you don't feel in full control of the player, it is possible to run away from the 'on the rails' system PES uses which is a definite advantage and I think the pace of the fast players is just about right. I also really like the tackling system and Fifa online is a blast.

When you have the ball you can only do the realistic things which is a nice change to PES and it's also a lot harder to do tricks. They with either work out into a massive advantage, or cost you big time. That's the risk.

The physics from shooting is also VERY good in Fifa, which makes a nice change knowing that timing is key. Having been written from the ground up for the new systems means these things actually have a realistic effect which is where PES falls down as the engine was originally written for a system incapable of processing all those effects at any one time.

Fifa has a fantastic selection of teams, stadiums, excellent commentary so the presentation side of it is slicker than it has ever been.

Also added into the mix are some very nice features such as Be a Pro mode, online leagues, tournaments, manager modes as well as recieving team news for your football team in the menu's or recieving scores/fixtures/news on the ticker bar when the menu's are on.

Soldato
Anyone who says Pro Evo is on rails has obviously never delved deeper than picking a formation TBH :) Biggest problems with Fifa as a single player game is the AI cheating and the scripted nature of the game, just feels very false, if you play on legendary then no matter what team you play then they are all superstars, very poor really, the shooting is really not that great either, I have hit wonder shots just as often with crap players as I do with the good players which suggests the EA PR is not really all that true, and I really doubt Nokkon has any real knowledge of the inward workings of either engine so not quite sure why he proclaims to do so :)

Good things about Fifa are the masses of teams, and the strips albeit some are missing sponsors for some reason which kind of looks silly. Be A Pro is okay but it's nothing more than a gimmick really and been done before. The commentary gets repetitive very quickly much like any sports game really and often they will be talking about it being a corner when it's actually a goal kick, or the keeper saved it when it's actually in the net. The ticker options are standard in EA Sports games these days, I personally turn it off as sitting watching a menu is really not my idea of gaming :) The online tournaments are good, been in Fifa for a while now and were in PES 6 for the PC but sadly missing from the 360 version. Had 4 games online 3 were fine, the other 1 had terrible lag, which off course is usual for one on one sports games if the other person is really not being fair.

Really it's all about how it plays for you, best to download the demo as the full game is pretty much the same.

Also the crowd textures, I thought Pro Evo was bad but EA are surely having a laugh with these textures? looks like they came straight from a ZX Spectrum, shoddy indeed, and no ref on the pitch, no linesmen, and no whistle for a ball out of play, if you like football then wait for Pro Evo IMO (St Mirren fans have never seen football for 40 years so they don't count :) )

Last edited:
Caporegime
I really doubt Nokkon has any real knowledge of the inward workings of either engine so not quite sure why he proclaims to be do so :)
Where did I claim to?
I can however read on the ******* Internet that this is the case. It's clear for anyone to tell that PES is still on the same engine on 2008 that is was on Pro Evolution Soccer.

I've owned all 6 PES versions from day of release and played religiously almost daily on must but 6. Believe me, it's a ridiculously outdated engine so to claim I've not delved into formations etc.. is wrong. The fact is, games soon feel the same because plays are so similar. Through balls over the top for example, your player runs in a straight line and no matter what, you can NOT move him off that line, even with a cancel. As a result 99/100 the defender just comes across, which is annoying because you know if you had control of the player you'd get it. Not a problem in Fifa.

In a day where the amount of depth in games is incredible, what PES offers is nothing short of criminal.

Soldato
Where did I claim to?
I can however read on the ******* Internet that this is the case. It's clear for anyone to tell that PES is still on the same engine on 2008 that is was on Pro Evolution Soccer.

I've owned all 6 PES versions from day of release and played religiously almost daily on must but 6. Believe me, it's a ridiculously outdated engine so to claim I've not delved into formations etc.. is wrong. The fact is, games soon feel the same because plays are so similar. Through balls over the top for example, your player runs in a straight line and no matter what, you can NOT move him off that line, even with a cancel. As a result 99/100 the defender just comes across, which is annoying because you know if you had control of the player you'd get it. Not a problem in Fifa.

In a day where the amount of depth in games is incredible, what PES offers is nothing short of criminal.
Although not PES, Winning Eleven (from 4 through to 8) suffered the same issues. As soon as you played a pass, the player went for it in a straight line. Super cancel did nothing, and inevitbly the defender got the ball. It used to get right on my chest and annoy the hell out of me, so much so that I used to turn the PS2 off!

Soldato
Yes you can move your player off that line, control him and use super cancel, but someone who plays it religiously would obviously know that right :D oops

My point was the EA PR while sounding all super dooper does not really change anything in game when you are actually playing, and you really do not know how Pro Evo calculates it's shooting, does not matter how old it is, shooting is shooting, it's simple physics no matter how old the engine is, bit like you saying the Pro Evo engine cant do gravity because it's too old really, which is obviously quite silly.

Soldato
Just abusive then :)

I think the same of you, but I do not abuse you for it do I. You really have to learn to respect other's opinion's you are not always right.

Soldato
St Mirren's are woeful, lowest in the league along with Gretna, which is harsh.

I wonder if we could get 10 fans from 10 different scottish clubs to have a league, that would be cool.

I would be interested in that :D

Doubt you will find any Gretna, Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd or Motherwell fans though :p (kidding)

Caporegime
Just abusive then :)

I think the same of you, but I do not abuse you for it do I. You really have to learn to respect other's opinion's you are not always right.
I respect many users opinions, but it's hard to take yours seriously when they are SO wide of the mark so regularly.
You rub a lot of people up the wrong way such as myself of JBeck with your immature attitude, lack of knowledge and no research into your posts.

Soldato
I respect many users opinions, but it's hard to take yours seriously when they are SO wide of the mark so regularly.
You rub a lot of people up the wrong way such as myself of JBeck with your immature attitude, lack of knowledge and no research into your posts.

And your research into Fifa is what? having not bought the game for 10 years then I am quite sure your research is not very deep as opposed to someone who has, you read EA's hype and swallow it, yet cannot explain why in game they hype falls down and you realise it's just that?

You rub people up the wrong way too with your arrogance and general know it all stance, when quite often you clearly know nothing, as in this case. Maybe you will give us the lowdown on the texture mappings in Fifa and explain to us why the crowd look like a Spectrum game, funny you don't mention that in this thread but every PS3 game your all over the textures.

A recent poll on here suggested Pro Evo to be better than Fifa, so why am I so wide of the mark when the majority agree's with me, so how about you wind your neck in a little and deal with the fact that I do not like Fifa as much as you do, why does that make you react in such an abusive way?

Caporegime
Having read up on it, having read about what they were putting into Fifa 07 when it was being written, having read up on features of Fifa 08.

I actually know quite a lot about a lot of things, it may sound arrogant but it's true. In what instances in this thread have I, as you put it, clearly known nothing in this case? I'm quite interested to know.

If you really want to talk about the look of crowds then may I just mention PES2008 which looks worse? I could also explain why the crowd looks like that, but I'm sure you'd only shoot me down for that too.

A recent poll as of when? As of Friday when Fifa 08 was released? If we're judging on old versions then yes, Pro Evo WAS better.

You're wide of the mark by stating that Fifa is so scripted etc. etc. etc.. when you're being nothing short of highly hypocritical as PES is one of the biggest scripted games I've ever played. I don't have my neck out, I'm posting in a Fifa thread about how much I like it, it's you who is continually coming in with negative comments or PES is better this, PES is better that. You're so incapable of seeing your faults aren't you?

Back
Top Bottom