*** Official Elder Scrolls MMO Thread ***

Soldato
Not me, despite having played WoW, I compare new MMOs to UO and Daoc :)

Same, except I add EQ into the mix as well. WoW is the cause of all our current problems. I enjoyed WoW for what it was, but I don't understand why every company thinks copying them = success. I'm sick of quest hub based MMO's for starters, give me a sandbox environment any day.

Soldato
Despite the fact it started to plummet downhill in 2008, with quality of content dropping much, much further and faster than the subs.

Associate
Not me, despite having played WoW, I compare new MMOs to UO and Daoc :)

Any MMO I play in the future needs to be more like these (and EQ) and if you going to make PvP one of your key feature then there need to be more then two factions!!

Best thing about RvR in DAoC was the constant threat of being attacked on another front.

Soldato
As for the P2P vs F2P, seems the argument isn't if TESO is a good game, but why is has a sub?
Still none answered to my question.
Traditionally, the sub was to pay for the upkeep of the servers and bandwidth costs, as back in the 90's it was a significant amount. Unlike other multiplayer games then, an MMO's servers needed to be up 24/7 around 99% of the time. Also, nobody actually thought of having a f2p model supported by in-game purchases as nobody actually thought people would pay real money for a digital item - that took off big time with EQ and the buying of platinum, its in game currency. Someone in our guild made an awful lot of money selling plat on ebay after discovering a dupe bug.

Fast forward to today and we have companies like King.com making hundreds of millions off people paying for digital goodies and Asian companies launching f2p MMO's left, right and centre. The sub based MMO seems rather antiquated especially as server & bandwidth running costs have reduced significantly.

Personally, I see the sub as a money grab for most of the WoW clones - they know their game is shallow, but that they are going to get a big pile of $$$ for the first 2-3 months of subs which helps them turn an overall profit, then they go f2p.

Soldato
Exactly my point, there are none.

The gamers have moved away from that model, the only games which are still successful today with that model, are the ones which have that loyal fan base and don't want to lose what they've earned over the years (EVE and WoW). There are plenty of WoW clones which are successful, but use a F2P model or B2P model with micro transactions. Gaming trends change over time, and P2P is a trend which is fading, companies need to realise and follow suit with what gamers want, else risk losing out.
Eve is the exception, they have been gaining new customers over a long period of time, a slow development approach as opposed to attempting to make a huge game with a massive fan base from the on-set.

The attraction of EvE online is that it's unique, no other MMO comes close to the intricate player driven market & factional based warfare (player alliance vs alliance), EvE isn't still going because of a core loyal fan base - it's still going because it's the only game on the market which offers real MMO PVP.

Without the concept of a true loss mechanic PVP is nothing more than a grindfest.

Soldato
The attraction of EvE online is that it's unique, no other MMO comes close to the intricate player driven market & factional based warfare (player alliance vs alliance), EvE isn't still going because of a core loyal fan base - it's still going because it's the only game on the market which offers real MMO PVP.

You forgot to mention Darkfall, which is basically the EVE fantasy and is subs only, and the good old Shadowbane before it became F2P in 2006. (came out 2003)

Soldato
sub = niche market and more likely to appeal to older gamers as they tend to have better communities

That's untrue.

Wow community is infamous for bring populated by nasty ********. Eve has a good community spirit but the general treatment of other players is bordering on evil (as the game allows/encourages this) neither are famed for their good community.

Conversely I would argue the two games I hear the most about having good communities are rift and gw2. Both f2p though it may be more due to the nature of the game which promotes open world group play.

Associate
Great new trailer, just a shame the game (IMHO) won't live up to the same standard.

Even though I got a 25% off code from GMG and another 25% code to follow if I bought a copy.

Soldato
Prices are a joke.

In what way?

You do realise you don't have to buy the collector's edition right? Console prices are at the same price as any other game, and the PC too.

I'm still waiting on a reply from Amazon if they're getting the Imperial Edition in at all. Says it'll take them 2 days to get back to me. >_>;

And I'm glad that it's sub-based, f2p games are **** buy-to-win models that are ultimately only liked by peasant gamers. A sub-game going f2p is it's deathcry and it's typically a result of the game being **** not the sub-model itself. Anyone who says otherwise is an ignorant fool who clearly wants the game, but doesn't want to pay for it.

Soldato
In what way?

You do realise you don't have to buy the collector's edition right? Console prices are at the same price as any other game, and the PC too.

I'm still waiting on a reply from Amazon if they're getting the Imperial Edition in at all. Says it'll take them 2 days to get back to me. >_>;

Well.. $99.99 for the Imperial boxed edition, that's just over £60 (£72 with vat). Where's the other £18 coming from? The digital edition is the same, it's $79.99 which is £48 (or £57 with VAT), yet we're paying an extra £12 for some reason. The standard "basic" edition isn't as bad, but we're still paying an extra £6 - £8.

Soldato
And I'm glad that it's sub-based, f2p games are **** buy-to-win models that are ultimately only liked by peasant gamers. A sub-game going f2p is it's deathcry and it's typically a result of the game being **** not the sub-model itself. Anyone who says otherwise is an ignorant fool who clearly wants the game, but doesn't want to pay for it.

Are you simple as well as overly aggressive?

Name one real f2p (by real I mean not a little niche Asian market game) that is pay to win?...... Oh that's right none are. If its only "peasants" who play these games then they wouldn't be around as they need people to spend money, herp derp.

No one would argue a p2p going f2p is a last ditch attempt, this has been agreed by everyone. Please keep up! The argument is that going p2p from the start is a risk if you don't have a well developed product and just punt out a wow clone with tweaks which most of the failed games have done and as this is doing.

The sub model works if you have a good product, f2p works too and you can get a lot more leeway as you aren't shelling out monthly.

Soldato

Enjoy your console to PC MMO!

Back
Top Bottom