Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Had this for dinner last night:

4utL2o9.jpg

Pork tenderloin roasted with harissa paste and Kalinti (aka Karane or Karantika); served with a harissa dip and salad.

I made some harissa paste the other day and was so impressed with it, I decided to use it again last night.

The pork was simply smeared with the harissa and left to marinade for a couple of hours and then seared all over before going into the oven for 10 minutes (could have done with a little less - was a tad on the dry side).

The Kalinti is a north African custardy flan thing made with chickpea flour and eggs - popular in Morocco and Algeria, apparently. I found the recipe while browsing and thought it looked interesting. I didn't have any chickpea flour so I made my own from dried chickpeas. This isn't something I'll be doing again as it was a hell of a trial and I couldn't get it as fine as I wanted (turns out dried chickpeas are really hard and difficult to grind using normal kitchen equipment). When I made the batter as per the recipe, it was very thin and I didn't think it would set but it did.

The harissa dip I made up myself using Philadelphia cheese, cream and more of the home-made harissa paste.

The salad was just one I bought from Morrison's, jazzed up with a simple dressing I made with lime juice, EV olive oil and more of the harissa paste (to carry on the theme).

I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this. The pork, as I said, could have been a bit less dry but tasted very nice with the harissa. The Kalinti was delicious on it's own but when paired with the dip was divine and even the salad was transformed with the addition of the harissa dressing.

I'll definitely be making all of these things again - although, I'll be cooking the pork a bit less and I'll be buying the chickpea flour next time. I went through every grinding device I have to get it made and ended up using my tiny Porlex hand-operated coffee grinder to get it to a decent consistency (even then it wasn't as fine as it should have been).

Soldato
Wow so many pizzas on this page lol. Well anyway, this is my first post on this sub forum.

Homemade pizza with chestnut mushrooms and chorizo. Finally nailed how to go get it right and always getting fantastic results now. :D

pBaEKQ3.jpg

Might post the whole recipe soon.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Wow so many pizzas on this page lol. Well anyway, this is my first post on this sub forum.

Homemade pizza with chestnut mushrooms and chorizo. Finally nailed how to go get it right and always getting fantastic results now. :D

That looks lovely. Would be interested in a good recipe/method for the base. Only tried it once and it didn't work out too well. A tried and tested recipe/method would be a good starting point.

Soldato
75924_696110743756501_868133869_n.jpg

1513201_689272344440341_1106263235_n.jpg

Associate
That looks lovely. Would be interested in a good recipe/method for the base. Only tried it once and it didn't work out too well. A tried and tested recipe/method would be a good starting point.

I posted up my recipe on the previous page, have a try at this.

Of course. I originally devised this in a professional kitchen, so i've included a cut down size to save in effort. Normally I would provide a precise weight of yeast, but I have awful scales (divisions of 2g), so I can't get a reliable measure, and judge it by eye these days.

3 kg or 750 g Flour 00
1.7 l or 425 ml Water
200 ml or 50 ml Olive Oil
2 tsps or 1/2 tsp Easy Bake Yeast (Thomas Keller uses it, so it's good enough for me :cool: )
60 g or 15 g Salt

1. Make a poolish with 190g of the flour, 190g of the water and a tiny pinch of yeast. Cover and leave over night or for 24 hours in a warm place.

2. Combine the rest of the ingredients with poolish and continue as normal (rise, knock back etc).

3. Portion dough into 300g balls and store in freezer until use.

4. Allow to come to room temperature naturally before using.

Edit: Forgot to say, bake at your ovens maximum temperature.

Man of Honour

pBaEKQ3.jpg

That looks really good. Very neatly made :)

I've become a bit more fond of the more 'rustic' look you get by hand-stretching recently. It was Illgresi's post about it that tempted me to branch out in to hand-stretching.

Soldato
2014-02-25%2013.15.53.jpg

My daughters birthday cake, just a plain sponge with Jam and creme fresh whipped with a little icing sugar in the middle, and on top the same creme fresh mix with the fresh strawberries and raspberries. It was rather good!

2014-04-01%2013.15.02.jpg

Some of the office staff at work know my cakes are good, tuesday the kids and I made them something a little special :D butter cream icing and hundreds and thousands :D

Soldato
Had this for dinner last night:

4utL2o9.jpg

Pork tenderloin roasted with harissa paste and Kalinti (aka Karane or Karantika); served with a harissa dip and salad.

I made some harissa paste the other day and was so impressed with it, I decided to use it again last night.

The pork was simply smeared with the harissa and left to marinade for a couple of hours and then seared all over before going into the oven for 10 minutes (could have done with a little less - was a tad on the dry side).

The Kalinti is a north African custardy flan thing made with chickpea flour and eggs - popular in Morocco and Algeria, apparently. I found the recipe while browsing and thought it looked interesting. I didn't have any chickpea flour so I made my own from dried chickpeas. This isn't something I'll be doing again as it was a hell of a trial and I couldn't get it as fine as I wanted (turns out dried chickpeas are really hard and difficult to grind using normal kitchen equipment). When I made the batter as per the recipe, it was very thin and I didn't think it would set but it did.

The harissa dip I made up myself using Philadelphia cheese, cream and more of the home-made harissa paste.

The salad was just one I bought from Morrison's, jazzed up with a simple dressing I made with lime juice, EV olive oil and more of the harissa paste (to carry on the theme).

I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this. The pork, as I said, could have been a bit less dry but tasted very nice with the harissa. The Kalinti was delicious on it's own but when paired with the dip was divine and even the salad was transformed with the addition of the harissa dressing.

I'll definitely be making all of these things again - although, I'll be cooking the pork a bit less and I'll be buying the chickpea flour next time. I went through every grinding device I have to get it made and ended up using my tiny Porlex hand-operated coffee grinder to get it to a decent consistency (even then it wasn't as fine as it should have been).

Looks nice. I always have my pork pink. It's the way it should be! :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I posted up my recipe on the previous page, have a try at this.

Silly me. I saw that before and meant to try it but forgot about it. I'll give it a try at some point. Thanks :)

Looks nice. I always have my pork pink. It's the way it should be! :)

I was aiming for pink but missed by a fair bit. I'll have to reduce the cooking time next time.

Soldato
Silly me. I saw that before and meant to try it but forgot about it. I'll give it a try at some point. Thanks :)

I was aiming for pink but missed by a fair bit. I'll have to reduce the cooking time next time.

Mrs mocks me for overcooking pork all the time. All. The. Time. It seems to change from not quite to over so much quicker than beef or lamb!

Man of Honour
UST been browsing through this thread, as wanted some ideas.
So many awesome dishes, and so many dishes I've posted that I used to eat all the time and haven't harps in years and fallen into lost memory. Shall be reviving some and doing some of the others posted from you guys.

Awesome thread, especially as it's been going so long, how my eating habits have changed. What a lack of Varity I have now, compared to the past. I need to get over my slow cooked meat and chilli in everything and re explore food.

How on earth have I not made a kebab/meat skewers in years. Used to have kebabs or satay meat all the time.

Back
Top Bottom