Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Associate
Heston Blumenthals ultimate fish pie minus the sand and sea foam. Literally the nicest, most flavourful and light fish pie i've ever tasted. Absolutely worth the effort which in all honesty isn't that much. Sorry for the bad picture I only thought about taking it half way through :rolleyes::)

Soldato
898700a08efd11e3bc211291fdc3111e_8.jpg

Made a seeded loaf last night. Could have proved say 30 mins longer as was slightly dense, but tasty. I always find seeded/wholemeal harder to get light

Associate
I enjoy rare steak as much as the next guy, but most of that is raw. I think unless you're going for something like tartare or carpaccio and cutting the meat accordingly, then even fillet benefits from more cooking.

I know you're going to tell me it was sublime, but I've eaten fillet cooked like that and it was cold and chewy rather than warm and tender.

Soldato
It was warm and extremely tender, but thanks kindly for your input. I'm sure being the one there eating it I would know this, but you're probably right.
It was in no way cold and in no way chewy or my kids would leave it. I don't like cold steaks and I certainly don't like chewy steak.

Man of Honour
I enjoy rare steak as much as the next guy, but most of that is raw. I think unless you're going for something like tartare or carpaccio and cutting the meat accordingly, then even fillet benefits from more cooking.

I know you're going to tell me it was sublime, but I've eaten fillet cooked like that and it was cold and chewy rather than warm and tender.

You've got to keep in mind that the dodgy colour balance on the pictures makes it look more raw/red than it actually is.

The texture (from the appearance in the pictures) looks like it is cooked to rare to me. Raw meat has a more "firm jelly"-like appearance.

Associate
Just polishing this off as I type:

xatn9k.jpg

Hand-stretched base to my own recipe, homemade sauce, and topped with Finnochiona Salame and Mozzarella. Who needs Domino's? :cool:

Associate
That base looks quite different to my attempts at hand-stretched. Mind sharing your recipe so I can experiment/compare? :)

Of course. I originally devised this in a professional kitchen, so i've included a cut down size to save in effort. Normally I would provide a precise weight of yeast, but I have awful scales (divisions of 2g), so I can't get a reliable measure, and judge it by eye these days.

3 kg or 750 g Flour 00
1.7 l or 425 ml Water
200 ml or 50 ml Olive Oil
2 tsps or 1/2 tsp Easy Bake Yeast (Thomas Keller uses it, so it's good enough for me :cool: )
60 g or 15 g Salt

1. Make a poolish with 190g of the flour, 190g of the water and a tiny pinch of yeast. Cover and leave over night or for 24 hours in a warm place.

2. Combine the rest of the ingredients with poolish and continue as normal (rise, knock back etc).

3. Portion dough into 300g balls and store in freezer until use.

4. Allow to come to room temperature naturally before using.

Edit: Forgot to say, bake at your ovens maximum temperature.

Back
Top Bottom