Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Man of Honour
Cheers for that. It isn't drastically different to how I do things now though your use of a pre-ferment stage is something that I don't do (I've experimented with it in the past but normally I'm not organised enough to plan things 24 hours in advance). From memory it really does improve things so perhaps I should start doing it again.

I also wasn't aware of being able to get away with freezing the dough like that. If it works out as well as your results seem to then I might start making batches of dough and freezing the balls. I've tried refrigerating previously and though it kind of worked it wasn't optimal. That could just be my bad storage and/or lack of patience though :p

Associate
Cheers for that. It isn't drastically different to how I do things now though your use of a pre-ferment stage is something that I don't do (I've experimented with it in the past but normally I'm not organised enough to plan things 24 hours in advance). From memory it really does improve things so perhaps I should start doing it again.

I also wasn't aware of being able to get away with freezing the dough like that. If it works out as well as your results seem to then I might start making batches of dough and freezing the balls. I've tried refrigerating previously and though it kind of worked it wasn't optimal. That could just be my bad storage and/or lack of patience though :p

I find that dough stands up to freezing really well as long as it's properly wrapped and defrosted slowly (usually overnight in the fridge, then at room temperature for a few hours before use). I've never performed a side by side comparison between fresh dough and defrosted though, that might be a good idea. There are certain things (i.e. macaron) that benefit from some time in a freezer, dough may well be one of them. :)

Associate
You've got to keep in mind that the dodgy colour balance on the pictures makes it look more raw/red than it actually is.

The texture (from the appearance in the pictures) looks like it is cooked to rare to me. Raw meat has a more "firm jelly"-like appearance.

Good points.

I retract my steak attack.

Man of Honour
I find that dough stands up to freezing really well as long as it's properly wrapped and defrosted slowly (usually overnight in the fridge, then at room temperature for a few hours before use). I've never performed a side by side comparison between fresh dough and defrosted though, that might be a good idea. There are certain things (i.e. macaron) that benefit from some time in a freezer, dough may well be one of them. :)

If you do end up testing it out I'd love to hear your results. My pizzas are pretty good but I'm always trying to improve them :)

Good points.

I retract my steak attack.

Tbh I'm always envious of the way people's steak looks in these pictures. The only time I've seen it look like that in real life was in really dingy lighting conditions :p

Man of Honour
My homemade hand-stretched pizza. This one is with mushrooms, chillies and chorizo. Sadly I went a bit overboard with the chorizo and had to mop up some of the oil with kitchen towel. Still damn delicious though :)

pizza_06032014.jpg

Soldato
Hardly Masterchef material, but just a nice sarnie I knocked up yesterday!

Ciabatta with roast chicken, red peppers (roasted on the hob then blended up with some balsamic vinegar), rocket and a final drizzle of more balsamic. Nom!

rm4d.jpg

uv

uv

Soldato
bbq night last night, naga chicken in homemad brioche buns, rack of lamb, celeriac remoulade and couscous salad.

This:
FA6Z1PL.jpg

became this:
Ovw4c5c.jpg

and this:
VGtjf4R.jpg

became this:
B5aYpPv.jpg

k36f37s.jpg

That's the last time I trim and clean a lamb rack, it took forever!

Soldato
Nice looking lamb, I had leg steaks marinaded in salt,pepper,garlic,rosemary and balsamic on the BBQ on Saturday. Oh and slow cooked ribs from waitrose

I really need to find the time to try making my own ribs again now I have the sous vide. Dry marinade in vac pack for 24hours, then water bath then BBQ with lid on for smoke, then BBQ sauce.

Soldato
Lovely look lamb and buns!

I did sous vide chinese pork belly cooked in soy, ginger, sherry, spring onions, garlic, fish sauce and sugar and cooked at 72c for 10hrs and then cut and flashed in a pan and tossed with couscous and coriander. Was nice!

346cac14af9611e3801e126c51d5de83_8.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Those lamb chops look to be cooked exactly the way I like them - next time you're cooking them, give me a shout, I'll be down in a flash ;)

Just finished this:

jIfLYhB.jpg

Rick Stein's roasted monkfish with crushed potatoes, olive oil and watercress. Lovely, I'm a huge fan of monkfish.

I believe in not faffing around with fish too much. Keep it simple. Most fish has enough flavour without ruining it by adding loads of strong tasting ingredients. This recipe is simply roasted Monkfish and a simple accompaniment.

Very pleased with the way it turned out. The recipe was for monkfish fillets but I bought a bit on the bone because, as we all know, roasting anything is better with the bone in. This recipe's a keeper :cool:

Soldato
Looking good!

Do you find lining the tin is necessary? I've personally never bothered with it, with the exception of the Christmas cake (due to the length of cooking time).

I never bothered when I used normal tins and I now that I've switched to silicone, I definitely don't think I need to bother :D

Soldato
Silicon is okay, bit fiddlier when you're transporting it to the oven, but it's nice not having to bother with the total faff of cutting out baking parchment and lining it/greasing it!

Not sure i'd use a silicone mould for the deeper cakes (fruitcakes etc), but they're certainly handy for normal sponge cakes :D

Back
Top Bottom