The Show Off Your Tattoo Thread

Associate
Aye the 30 day rule sounds like good practice, tbh i'm just going to pop down next week when i'm off and have a chat, can't seeing it being an issue just scheduling the time may be as they are quite in demand and work schedule is pish.

Seems to be healing a bit differently to the first one, peeling sooner.
Possibly because i had to work the day after having it done, having one day of since (today) and the uniform i have to wear for work kinda rubs the shoulder area some times.

Soldato
Hmm, tempting to get another sleeve...

The choice is to still to the traditional Japanese style for both arms (with the other being done by Luca) - or heading over to Denmark to see Peter Walrus for something Nordic(ish) - same style as the one below, but something bespoke.

1X8zAwZ.jpg

Associate
I was thinking of getting a tattoo in the future, I have a few ideas in mind at the moment, but I still haven't settled on a style for the tattoo. I saw on one the pages mentioned earlier in this thread about Rob Richardson so I decided to take a look at his work and decided I liked it. But when I began to look into photo-realistic tattoos more I came across this article.

I was wondering if anybody on these forums could give some insight as to why this tattoo faded so fast or knows someone who has had a photo-realistic tattoo fade that badly in a short amount of time? or is this just a risk of with these types of tattoos that they are doomed to lose a lot of detail?

Soldato
I was thinking of getting a tattoo in the future, I have a few ideas in mind at the moment, but I still haven't settled on a style for the tattoo. I saw on one the pages mentioned earlier in this thread about Rob Richardson so I decided to take a look at his work and decided I liked it. But when I began to look into photo-realistic tattoos more I came across this article.

I was wondering if anybody on these forums could give some insight as to why this tattoo faded so fast or knows someone who has had a photo-realistic tattoo fade that badly in a short amount of time? or is this just a risk of with these types of tattoos that they are doomed to lose a lot of detail?

There is always a chance that it could just be a bad tattoo, the guy has gone too deep, too shallow, the ink was poor / degraded, it didnt heal well and the guy picked it at... who knows.

Plus like the article says, there are tattoo artists and there are tattoo artirsts, photo-realistic is a very new genre and the ability of artists is going to vary drastically.

I imagine if you follow the rules started in the article you'll be fine
1) Don't get it done at a convention, you want somebody with their own shop you can go back to.
2) Make sure they can provide you examples of healed work - does it look remotely as good?!

Given how much people rave about Rob Richardson (and rightly so) I'd be shocked if you ended up with something that would fade as fast as the above - but at the same time I imagine that in ten years it wont be half as photo realistic anymore - even my straight line tribal looks like ass after 15 years.

Associate
Just thought I would come in and say that I am having my 3/4 sleeve started Friday and I am massively excited :D
It is actually Nordic themed ironically as the pic above is. Does anyone have any experiance with Dot work and how much longer it takes, than traditional shading?
I have a decent artist doing it, and have seen a lot of his work prieviously, my lady friend had a sleeve done by him so I am confident in his abilities.

Soldato
Got a 3hour booking on saturday to get my half sleeve started off planning on building it around something similiar to this not to sure yet though.
Japanese-Samurai-Tattoos.jpg

Associate
I'm thinking of getting a tattoo and I'm considering getting a henna one done first to see if I like the design and placement. Anyone else done this?

Associate
Thread seems quiet of late but here goes :o

I've seen something I like online but it needs some re-design, is it best to get the tattooist to work on it or get someone else to change it and take in the finished thing?

(Isn't sure if everyone can design as well as they tattoo.)

Caporegime
^that.

I'm confident enough that I could get a massive tattoo and still be an asset to my firm. That said, I only popped my tat cherry today last week. At 30 years old I've left it fairly late and it's only small but it was a fairly large step for me and it's a phrase I live by.

I'm already thinking of my next tattoo. I want a demon all over my torso which is done to look like I'm escaping it as I have some very strong demons in my past but my wife doesn't like it. I can't risk punani for some ink.

20140823_202944_zpsd182bcec.jpg

Caporegime
Well, I'd be very surprised if they have more experience tbh. There are literally hundreds of thousands of designs in every tattoo parlour, and maybe 50 clients a day tops. What are the odds of people choosing the same ideas? I reckon that every tat is a new job for them, regardless of the source.

I'll never have a tat that came out of a book, personally.

Soldato
What do you tatted people think of choosing a design from a tattoo's sample book? They will have more practice with these so they will surely look better than my own design?

I personally don't pick anything from flash - I want the tattoo I have to be unique and just for me. If you see something in a book that you like and it is exactly what you want then by all means go for it - however go for it because its what you want and not because you think your own design would be harder for the tattooist to work with.

A good artist that has any kind of dedication to his craft and has had a proper apprenticeship will not have any issues using something you designed yourself as opposed to flash from a book. Most artists offer to do completely custom work and will be happy to design things for you from scratch if you can give them something to work with.

Back
Top Bottom