Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Soldato
I'm in love with this game.

It has got me hooked and I've put some serious hours into it.

Currently I'm going round killing the Captains before I start to take on the War-chiefs.

I've been able to take on large horde of Orcs (about 20+) and it's quite easy to keep blocking and attack. I like to run into Strongholds, let them set off the alarms and then just cut them all down :D

I want to go home and play this now instead of being at boring work. (though I do work with people who can easily be mistaken for Orcs... so I could pretend and try and jump on them when they least expect it!)

Soldato
Do you get any reveals if you complete Ithildin stuff? I completed it but haven't done that :p

Unless it all comes together at the end....no :( it seems to just be for the benefit of gaining more M. It's nice seeing the wall completed, and the wraith says something when you complete it but that seems to be about it.

Associate
just started, been playing for the last few hours....batman style combat in an assassin's creed environment. really enjoying it.

was a little worried that i'd need something more than an r9 280 but it looks & plays very nicely :)

Associate
It's got that issue that the difficulty curve is largely player-defined.

You can complete nearly the whole game with basic attacks, counters and combat executions. It'd be dull as anything (and I think a lot of the people finding the game shallow are playing this way) but it would work. You could also spaz your way through all the real missions and ignore the side quests/vendettas/nemesis system and 'complete' the game that way. Stealth, unless specific for a mission, is not really punished for failure, you just get a big fight. Which you can win with basic attacks, counters and executions.

If, on the other hand, you decide for yourself to get into the character, try different approaches, use all your different attacks/tools, try not to be spotted, pick an enemy captain, boost him through the ranks, then kill him, get the side quests, work on the highest crit combo you can etc etc then there's a lot more game to be had.

Anyone who plays games in the most efficient manner will probably not have that good a time with it. I realise it's a valid way to play, and for some people any alternative prompts the question "why should I make it harder than it has to be?". I'd answer "because it's more fun" but that's entirely subjective.

Associate
It's got that issue that the difficulty curve is largely player-defined.

You can complete nearly the whole game with basic attacks, counters and combat executions. It'd be dull as anything (and I think a lot of the people finding the game shallow are playing this way) but it would work. You could also spaz your way through all the real missions and ignore the side quests/vendettas/nemesis system and 'complete' the game that way. Stealth, unless specific for a mission, is not really punished for failure, you just get a big fight. Which you can win with basic attacks, counters and executions.

If, on the other hand, you decide for yourself to get into the character, try different approaches, use all your different attacks/tools, try not to be spotted, pick an enemy captain, boost him through the ranks, then kill him, get the side quests, work on the highest crit combo you can etc etc then there's a lot more game to be had.

Anyone who plays games in the most efficient manner will probably not have that good a time with it. I realise it's a valid way to play, and for some people any alternative prompts the question "why should I make it harder than it has to be?". I'd answer "because it's more fun" but that's entirely subjective.

I have been considering buying the game for a few days and this post just made my mind up for me. Thank you. Sadly, i'm one of the players that tends to go direct, I try not to and I wish I didn't but I can't really help myself at times. Very well said, thanks again.

Caporegime
Does anyone bother with ground executions? Even with the upgrade they take way too long.

They're really useful for adding to and keeping the combo multiplier going if there is no other Orc around, even if you don't complete the execution, eg I find more often then not I start the ground execution (+1 modifier) and immediately block another attack.

Soldato
mrbios if your playing this game it's good.

What are your thoughts?

Well i love lord of the rings and the hobbit, so i almost guaranteed to love it before i even started :p

It's a really good game, the only negative aspect it has is that some people might find a few aspects repetitive, but even the repetitive aspects have variations to them which make them fun.

I think CJs had it for £18 or something recently, if that's still the case then it's an absolute bargain. Even if you rush through the main game and don't do much of the side stuff you'll still enjoy it.

Best played with a controller rather than kb+mouse if you have one though.

Soldato
15 hours in, must admit I feel no rush to finish it and I'm really enjoying it. I'm hoping they use this fighting mechanic in other games as it's superb and so much more fun than the recent Assassin's Creed games have been :D

Associate
Sometimes I manage to squeeze in a ground execution, i know what you mean though. If the game wasn't so snappy with being able to block instantly i wouldn't bother. Its most excellent

Associate
I have been considering buying the game for a few days and this post just made my mind up for me. Thank you. Sadly, i'm one of the players that tends to go direct, I try not to and I wish I didn't but I can't really help myself at times. Very well said, thanks again.

Yeah - it's still fun, but maybe wait for a sale :D

On a side note, a couple of people added me as steam chums thanks to this thread for the vengeance kills and I've avenged at least one of them. Does it let you know you've been avenged?

Associate
Been playing this over the weekend and I must say it is fun! It's very satisfying separating an uruk's head from his shoulders!

Honorable mention to Lurkash the Noble who rose from thug who got the lucky last hit to kill me, to seemingly immortal captain who has resurrected about 9 times... your red armor and bag on your head make me smile as i separate the two for the tenth time.

Feel free to add me on steam... perhaps you can fight Lurkash too!

Associate
That's exactly what has been putting me off buying it online, but so far I haven't seen the premium version in a physical copy.

Wasn't too bad tbh made it so i actually did something with the weekend, was using all my bandwidth so couldn't play destiny so i went went outside did some bits to my car and swept the chimney lol

Soldato
lol i fail so bad at some of those captains. One of mine has reached level 20 which is above any of my warchiefs at the moment, sigh at least im givin friends plenty of revenge missions :D

Back
Top Bottom