• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Had a go with the bios flashing yesterday, tried to use the tools and guide at the begining of the thread to attempt to flash a EVGA970 ACX 1.0 to a EVGA970 SC ACX 1.0 but got the following error....

Firmware image PCI subsystem ID <3842.0974>
Miss match PCI subsystem ID <3842.0972>

It no like, anyway to force the Bios? Is it wise to force it :p ?

Associate
With 5.196 there is no force comnand needed and it runs under a windows command shell. Just uninstall Nvidia driver before flashing. Also use Palit Thunder master tool to backup your own BIOS first. If the BIOS is incompatible then the screen will blank when loading a driver or game - the card is not really bricked but you will have to get back to windows to restore a working BIOS. Best advice is don't and wait for official BIOS updates only.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Quick question.

I'm not too ofait with overclocking Nvidia cards and the boost clocks etc.

I've got +220 core in afterburner and +400 memory. In cpuz, it show peaks clock as 1472mhz but in unigine valley the on screen display shows 1638mhz - so which is correct?

EDIT:-

Afterburner trace also shows 1472mhz, so I guess that's the correct "boost" clock.

ANother question, card 1 in gpu-z shows peak volts as 1.175v. I thought these cards peaked at 1.25v? Card two however peaks at 1.212v and "PerfCap Reason" shows VRel, VOp when running 3D stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
29ffalx.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Trying to use DSR on Shadow of Mordor.

So I go into "Geforce Experience", then "Shadow of Mordor" and it will not let me select a resolution. So I just clicked "optimise". Is this normal?

I seem to be able to change "DSR" settings in "Global Settings" in "Nvidia Control Panel" but it just says 1.2x 4.0x etc.

Associate
Trying to use DSR on Shadow of Mordor.

So I go into "Geforce Experience", then "Shadow of Mordor" and it will not let me select a resolution. So I just clicked "optimise". Is this normal?

I seem to be able to change "DSR" settings in "Global Settings" in "Nvidia Control Panel" but it just says 1.2x 4.0x etc.

you need to set which ones you want available in the control panel... don't worry to much about Gefore Experience...

So go into control panel and choose which ratios you want to use.. i have 2x and 4x ticked and then i put smoothness at 50%

No when i go into games I have extra resolutions i can choose... 3620x1527 (2x) and 5120x2160 (4x)

Just make sure you turn of Anti Aliasing as you wont need it...

You will find text smaller and maybe hard to read but so far all the games I have tried it looks really good... there is a small amount of aliasing but only noticeable really close up.

Associate
you need to set which ones you want available in the control panel... don't worry to much about Gefore Experience...

So go into control panel and choose which ratios you want to use.. i have 2x and 4x ticked and then i put smoothness at 50%

No when i go into games I have extra resolutions i can choose... 3620x1527 (2x) and 5120x2160 (4x)

Just make sure you turn of Anti Aliasing as you wont need it...

You will find text smaller and maybe hard to read but so far all the games I have tried it looks really good... there is a small amount of aliasing but only noticeable really close up.

You tried this with SLI? I set Shadow of Mordor to 4k, and I got 25fps. My second card dropped to 2% usage.

Got a feeling it doesn't play nice in SLI, which make the whole thing useless really lol

edit. Shadow of Mordor seems to of stopped working in SLI now full stop. So I don't know.

Last edited:
Soldato
That looks class Adz :cool: I wanna go SLI but my CPU is too old/slow. What motherboard have you got, are both cards running at 16X speed on the PCI-E slot? Can you run Heaven for us too?

Mobo is in sig, I don't really run benchmarks tbh I'm more into trying actual games but I did run heaven and valley to test stability at these settings:

Nvidia Control Panel - Everything set to highest quality
Quality - Ultra
Tesselation - Extreme
Multi Monitor - 5760x1200
Anti-aliasing - x8

My single Ti I would get around 18/19fps @ the above settings, these get 26/27fps, so a good 30%-40% increase in performance.

I've had a quick scan through the thread and thought since everyone is o/c'ing the cards why not. Absolutely no tweaking at all but set straight to +200 core and +400 memory in afterburner, core voltage +87, power limit +110. Hope these settings are safe?

Few runs of heaven and valley on a loop and all seems good, will not bother trying to up anymore from here, no real need as games run great. Will stability test over the weekend by running loads of games hopefully. If all games run well with no glitches/crashes etc then that's stable enough for me. Card temps are fine, Ti would hit 83C within a minute, these stay at high 60s with fan on auto.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

4k DSR really does put a strain on the GPU, more than any kind of supersampling AA would at 1080p. Remember to turn AA off in games if you're using 4k DSR.

Planetside 2 with dsr :3413x1440 downsampled to 2560x1080 looks lush!

Permabanned
4k DSR really does put a strain on the GPU, more than any kind of supersampling AA would at 1080p. Remember to turn AA off in games if you're using 4k DSR.

DSR and SS are one upon the same thing.... that's also why I bought a second card!

Wasn't expecting to be able to use DSR in SLI as people were saying it wasn't supported but chuffed to see that it actually is!

Last edited:
Associate
It seems DSR plays funny with some resolutions...

1440p seems to be where it breaks with SLI..

My native res is 2560x1080 (21:9) and it works fine in SLI..

Back
Top Bottom