Dying Light - PC next gen zombie open world game?

Soldato
i have heard of the game but only today watched a trailer for it and game footage.

i can see on steam there is a few updates of the game. what does everyone think of it as it? does look like a good game to play.

tempted to buy it but don't want to end up wasting money on games. is single player any good as well?

Man of Honour
I am struggling with this arggh. It's the jumping and catching hold. I am right at the start of the campaign and presume I need to jump across one pole to another in order to switch on this night trap. But I can't time it right. I manage the jump across but I can't grab hold. Any advice or is there an easier way to do this?

Soldato
If it's the third train yard one, go inside the metal building, and there is a space on the roof you can run out of and jump onto the pole.. Been a while since I did it though, 56 hours ago infact :)

Story 100% complete, all side quests done. Got a few challenges to do and collect around 20 collectibles and I'm completely finished, on 86% just now.

Game just keeps on drawing me back in even though there is very little to do apart from smash zombies all over the place.. Just hope Dead Island 2 is on the same level as this!

Associate
I am struggling with this arggh. It's the jumping and catching hold. I am right at the start of the campaign and presume I need to jump across one pole to another in order to switch on this night trap. But I can't time it right. I manage the jump across but I can't grab hold. Any advice or is there an easier way to do this?

Stand at the end of the protruding horizontal pole coming off the roof. Don't get a running start, just go as far to the end of that pole as possible and then forward-space. Hold space, don't tap it. Also as soon as you get the climbing animation, let go of everything so you don't run/jump off the other side.

It took me a few tries at first.

Associate
since 1.4 mine just keeps crashing to desktop at random times, really frustrating as I can be halfway through a mission and just ctd. It bluscreened once with an NVidia driver error so I reinstalled those but It just keeps crashing out now.

Caporegime
since 1.4 mine just keeps crashing to desktop at random times, really frustrating as I can be halfway through a mission and just ctd. It bluscreened once with an NVidia driver error so I reinstalled those but It just keeps crashing out now.

The game has always been rock solid stable for me, the 1.4.0 patch just bought about some nice performance improvements.

Completely fixed any stutter I previously experienced, which is what the poster below still seems to have?!

one thing that ****es me off about this game - it freezes up for between 1-20 seconds if a zombie attack (press F) and I end up having to start over. It runs flawless until the stupid cut scene of a zombie face trying to munch on my face then it goes into fail mode and I have to come here to moan about it.... Why oh why do the small details make what seems like a good game turn into an annoying task - its not like im running a slow system, it just poor porting imo

I didn't have any Nvidia specific stuff turned on though.

Soldato
I'm 50+ hours in and not a single crash, I have had a couple of problems launching the game but this is usually after hours of video editing, I actually blame my old version of Adobe Premiere Pro for this though.

Soldato

Make sure you are holding space whilst in the air

And that you are looking at the pole you are trying to grab

Associate
Dear Dying Light fans

I bought Dead Island in a sale, played it for as long as it could sustain my interest (about four hours) then stopped as I became fed up with my melee weapons constantly breaking and having to be repaired/replaced and just found it generally rather tedious...

I'm not trolling, I just have to be honest about my feelings towards it to lead me in to my next question:

Bearing the above in mind... would you still recommend Dying Light to me?

Has anybody here thought Dead Island was rubbish and gone on to enjoy Dying Light?

Just curious as I am seeing a lot of recommendations for this game.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Daftbrown - I never had Dead Island but know a couple of people who have and didn't like it, they've both now bought Dying Light after trying it at my house. As one of them put it "this is how Dead Island should have played".

Weapons break, you replace them but frankly the fun part is in getting away and using moved e.g. drop kicks, throws, jumps etc on the zombies. The weapons are just there as a back up a lot of the time. I don't mind them breaking although I do think the crafting system could be improved. I go through about a weapon each 90 mins now and replacing them is never a problem, if anything the game is too generous.

They do absolutely need a demo on Steam so you can try before buying.

Associate
Dear Dying Light fans

I bought Dead Island in a sale, played it for as long as it could sustain my interest (about four hours) then stopped as I became fed up with my melee weapons constantly breaking and having to be repaired/replaced and just found it generally rather tedious...

I'm not trolling, I just have to be honest about my feelings towards it to lead me in to my next question:

Has anybody here thought Dead Island was rubbish and gone on to enjoy Dying Light?

Thanks

Dead Island is one of the worst games I have ever player. Dying Light is one of the best games I have ever played.

Soldato
Few games entice me with DLC, I've a habit of simply waiting on GOTY editions but I'll be chasing the Dying Light DLC purely as the coop side of the game is so goddamn fun.

Compiling a vid of some of our stupid moments, if only premiere pro would start working properly..

Soldato
Dear Dying Light fans

Thanks

I would recommend it. I have found it really hard to get into any game over the last year but this one has drawn me in.

Yes the weapons don't last long in their initial state but you can upgrade them so they last longer and its not hard to find parts to repair/replace with etc.

There are a few videos on youtube of gameplay or maybe someone would be kind enough to stream them playing via twitch so you can see what its like?

Back
Top Bottom