• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12 Showcase New Features and Benefits of D3D12 API

Soldato
I found this... http://forum.jogos.uol.com.br/lista...o-dx12-nvidia-deu-zinca-demais-aqui_t_3402386

Nvidia said they have been a DX12 Development partner with Microsoft for 4 years.

Why is it then that according to this Kepler only has Tier 1 DX12 Support and Maxwell only Tier 2?

We will have to see.

That doesnt really look like a very reputable link. The link I posted a few weeks back which was actually a Microsoft video demo-ing DX12 was far more reputable and had it the other way round.

Guess all will be revealed in the next few months! :eek:

Frankly it wouldnt suprise me, if we need new hardware to support all levels. It's alwasy been the case that the wisest way to go about things is purchasing hardware AFTER an API has come in to the public realm. Not before.

Are the 980/70 Maxwell V2?

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
From this translated link.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcmanias.com%2Fdirectx-12-que-placas-o-suportam-e-em-que-nivel%2F&edit-text=&act=url

DX12-stuff.jpg

The same chart but showing different results.

Not that any of that matters to be honest, if there are only 100 gamers and you code your game in such a way that only 20 of them can play it, your an idiot, you code your game so that everyone can play it then your on to a winner.:)

Of course not to forget the fact that by the time these games that utilise DX12 get here all the non DX12 cards will be too slow to play them anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Here's a response from an Nvidia rep as of today!

Scroll down to bottom for links.

Personally it still means nothing untill win 10 launches, in a few months.

Unfortunately most of the key DX12 functions are missing from the caps viewer, there are a couple of 11.1 fags there but it doesn't tell us a complete list of flags, none the wiser with that really

From this translated link.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcmanias.com%2Fdirectx-12-que-placas-o-suportam-e-em-que-nivel%2F&edit-text=&act=url

DX12-stuff.jpg

The same chart but showing different results.

Not that any of that matters to be honest, if there are only 100 gamers and you code your game in such a way that only 20 of them can play it, your an idiot, you code your game so that everyone can play it then your on to a winner.:)

Of course not to forget the fact that by the time these games that utilise DX12 get here all the non DX12 cards will be too slow to play them anyway.

It says there:
"All GCN 1x support Tier 3 DX12"
"No Nvidia GPU support Tier 3 DX12"

The same story...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Look again at:

Conservative Rasterization

Raster Order Views

As I said the same chart but with different results.

So we have 2 slightly varying charts.

Both Say:

GCN: Tier 3

Mawell 2: Tier 2

Maxwell 1 - Kepler: Tier 1

That is my point, if Nvidia are the DX12 partners, as they say they are, and have been for 4 years, then how is it that Kepler is only Tier 1, and the newly released "4 years into the NV + MS partnership" Maxwell 2 is only Tier 2?

While the 3+ year old GCN architecture is Tier 3 (The only architecture to be Tier 3)

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato

And that is the point, if we cannot be certain of the details in this type of chart they become meaningless.

For the record I do not dispute the fact that AMD's GCN architecture supports more directX 12 functions than NVidia or Intel.

Caporegime

Both Say:

That is my point, if Nvidia are the DX12 partners, as they say they are, and have been for 4 years, then how is it that Kepler is only Tier 1, and the newly released "4 years into the NV + MS partnership" Maxwell 2 is only Tier 2?

While the 3+ year old GCN architecture is Tier 3 (The only architecture to be Tier 3)

Because AMD is also a DX12 partner and likely had features AMD wanted added to the spec but Nvidia didn't want for whatever reason (too costly in transistor resources, or current GPUs wouldn't be powerful enough, or they simply don't like the feature).

Funny if Nvidia had all these extra features you would have a mindless ant about how Nvidia are using proprietary technologies to segregate the market.

DX doesn't handle extensions as easily as OpenGL so if GPU vendors want to have their special features as part of DX then there has to be separate DX standards, hence Tier 1, 2 3 etc.

Soldato
Actually i think i can tell you why, there was recently a released DX12 paper that shows it is based upon Mantle, yes queue the naysayers and the people who will laugh.

But a quick google will bring up the details, this is why it does not suprise me that if it is true that DX12 supports GCN to tier3 and Nvidia not so much regardless of their "4+ year partnership" with MS.

If there is any truth that DX12 is indeed based on Mantle, then it makes perfect sense that the API supports GCN cards fully.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/30gnec/proof_dx12_was_based_on_mantle_for_the_naysayers/

Caporegime

Both Say:

Why are you putting such stock into a chart that any Tom Dick or Harry could have produced!!??

Until the official info comes out then we really can't presume anything, can we?? Surely that's the logical approach...

Caporegime
And that is the point, if we cannot be certain of the details in this type of chart they become meaningless.

For the record I do not dispute the fact that AMD's GCN architecture supports more directX 12 functions than NVidia or Intel.

Right... just blanket statement the opposite.

Why has this forum become so badly dumbed down that people just say anything without any basis what so ever?
You're better than that Bru.

For the record i think Nvidia were upto their usual marketing bluster. 4 years like 4GB...

I'm far more inclined to believe that DX12 was designed for the GCN architecture because thats whats in the XBox One.
See that ^^^^ reasoning to my argument.

If you can't give any reasoning to your argument then you don't have one.

Its a debate, i spotted something that i think is worth engaging, so engage with it if you can make an argument.

Actually i think i can tell you why, there was recently a released DX12 paper that shows it is based upon Mantle, yes queue the naysayers and the people who will laugh.

But a quick google will bring up the details, this is why it does not suprise me that if it is true that DX12 supports GCN to tier3 and Nvidia not so much regardless of their "4+ year partnership" with MS.

If there is any truth that DX12 is indeed based on Mantle, then it makes perfect sense that the API supports GCN cards fully.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/30gnec/proof_dx12_was_based_on_mantle_for_the_naysayers/

No that can't be true, the god of all truths didn't say its so, Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mantle does not run well on older AMD GPUs

If people are saying DX12 is based on Mantle

Why would DX12 run any better on those older AMD cards than Mantle does ?

I've ran BF 4 in Mantle on a single 7950 in Eyefinity with no issues. Problems were with the r285 due to insufficient vRAM, that's a different story and has nothing to do with the GPU itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom