LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 24:10 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync Strobing Backlight

Associate
OP
****, he confirmed in that vid that nVidia users only get 60Hz :(

Looks like we're waiting for Acer/Asus!!!

All hope is not lost, Badass said NVIDIA can use strobing backlight mode, which I assume is 75 Hz. That's the mode you would want to use for gaming anyway. But yes, on the desktop flicker free 60 Hz max for NVIDIA does suck. No idea why LG does this when there is zero reason to.

Associate
Err no? Gsync is proprietary and costs more, free sync is an open standard. Blame nvidia for doing an apple on you with their stuff not lg
I am not "blaming" anyone, I am simply explaining why it may make sense for them to lock 75Hz to AMD cards - if AMD offered an exclusivity deal. This kind of stuff happens all the time in the industry.

Because if LG wanted to, they could've supported 75Hz on any card (just without variable refresh), like any non-adaptive-sync monitor.

Soldato
I am not "blaming" anyone, I am simply explaining why it may make sense for them to lock 75Hz to AMD cards - if AMD offered an exclusivity deal. This kind of stuff happens all the time in the industry.

Because if LG wanted to, they could've supported 75Hz on any card (just without variable refresh), like any non-adaptive-sync monitor.

Conjecture based on speculation?

Why could have LG supported 75hz on all cards? Assuming this LG doesn't of course :p

Associate
Why could have LG supported 75hz on all cards? Assuming this LG doesn't of course :p
... because if panel's maximum refresh 75Hz its trivial to add 75Hz supported (fixed) refresh to EDID table? Not sure why this is even a question.

Instead they actually go extra effort to lock fixed refresh to 60Hz max (and even ensure that if someone tries to overclock bypassing EDID, monitor will not accept fixed 75Hz and skip frames instead). At least that what happened on old ones AFAIK - I won't speak for the new ones until someone actually tests & reports it.

Last edited:
Soldato
... because if panel's maximum refresh 75Hz its trivial to add 75Hz supported (fixed) refresh to EDID table? Not sure why this is even a question.

Instead they actually go extra effort to lock fixed refresh to 60Hz max (and even ensure that if someone tries to overclock bypassing EDID, monitor will not accept fixed 75Hz and skip frames instead). At least that what happened on old ones AFAIK - I won't speak for the new ones until someone actually tests & reports it.

Did they? maybe it's because Nvidia don't want to fully support the DP1.2A spec because it might enable mobile gsync or maybe because Nvidia can't support the back light control. LG aren't going to go out of their way to undermine a product. Don't talk nonsense.

Associate
This has nothing to do with adaptive sync or DP 1.2. We had 75Hz fixed refresh monitors 10 years ago. Neither it has anything to do with back light control, because LG did it on monitors without one and you perfectly can just have 75Hz without strobed backlight.

You should less jump to accusing people "talking nonsense". I work pretty close to the graphics/hardware industry and I know perfectly well that exclusivity deals happen all the time.
Obviously LG won't willingly cripple their display, but if AMD offers them payment if they agree to limit refresh for competitor cards (and keep it hush-hush), they pretty much could accept - it all depends on how they think they will lose from this reduced functionality and if they think that offered compensation is actually more and makes it profitable.
To very broad analogy - this is similar to exclusive games locked to one console platform, when console manufacturer offers developer extra compensation if they agree to restrict their product (at least for some term) only for their platform - even while it technically hurts developer to impose restrictions on themselves.

And don't get me wrong - I don't think its necessary bad. AMD fighting to promote their tech is a good thing, without proactive stance they will be pounced.

Last edited:
Soldato
This has nothing to do with adaptive sync or DP 1.2. We had 75Hz fixed refresh monitors 10 years ago. Neither it has anything to do with back light control, because LG did it on monitors without one and you perfectly can just have 75Hz without strobed backlight.

You should less jump to accusing people "talking nonsense". I work pretty close to the graphics/hardware industry and I know perfectly well that exclusivity deals happen all the time.
Obviously LG won't willingly cripple their display, but if AMD offers them payment if they agree to limit refresh for competitor cards (and keep it hush-hush), they pretty much could accept - it all depends on how they think they will lose from this reduced functionality and if they think that offered compensation is actually more and makes it profitable.
To very broad analogy - this is similar to exclusive games locked to one console platform, when console manufacturer offers developer extra compensation if they agree to restrict their product (at least for some term) only for their platform - even while it technically hurts developer to impose restrictions on themselves.

And don't get me wrong - I don't think its necessary bad. AMD fighting to promote their tech is a good thing, without proactive stance they will be pounced.

Conjecture based on your own speculation. You have no clue what your talking about. Why even bother typing such rubbish.

Associate
OP
TFTCentral has already put out that the screen can run 75 Hz on NVIDIA cards in backlight strobing mode. LG, for whatever reason, deliberately went out of their way to cap it at 60 Hz in non-strobing mode. They also capped it to 60 Hz with AMD in non-Freesync mode.

They would have to explain why they did this. It is not a hardware limitation.

Soldato
TFTCentral has already put out that the screen can run 75 Hz on NVIDIA cards in backlight strobing mode. LG, for whatever reason, deliberately went out of their way to cap it at 60 Hz in non-strobing mode. They also capped it to 60 Hz with AMD in non-Freesync mode.

They would have to explain why they did this. It is not a hardware limitation.

But does this mean it doesn't have 75Hz listed as a resolution, or that it can't (easily?) be set to this even with a custom resolution?

Man of Honour
It has 75Hz listed as an available refresh rate from amd and nvidia cards and can be set without problems. I'm still doing final testing regarding compatibility in different scenarios but hope to have the review completed very soon

Soldato
It has 75Hz listed as an available refresh rate from amd and nvidia cards and can be set without problems. I'm still doing final testing regarding compatibility in different scenarios but hope to have the review completed very soon

Would be interested to see if the VVR range can be extended. IIRC the 3440x1440 screen could do between 40-85hz under FreeSync.

Associate
OP

Cannot wait. One thing I believe happened with the previous LG is you could set higher refresh rates, but with NVIDIA it would just frame skip making it a moot point.

I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA frame skipped above 60 Hz on this monitor too, but hopefully not in strobing backlight mode!

Back
Top Bottom